Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with farmstyle sink please!

Posted by napedersen (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 5:58

Hi there! I am new here and am looking for helping in deciding on my farmstyle sink. I don't have much time to decide and have to pick what I want soon. I am meeting with my cabinet makers next week. They will have some samples but am not sure if they will have what I want, or even for sure what I want. I just know I love the look, and have finally decide to go with a single bowl rather than double, even though that will be an adjustment. (Have always had a 80/20 type sink, and like the small sink for hand washing small things like my knives...and am planning to keep a small rubbermade container handy for that purpose :) Beyond that I just don't know..there is such a wide variety of prices and I'm not sure what is important. Any adivse and help, should I go with cast iron? Fireclay? Will it be worth it to spend more money? Help please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with farmstyle sink please!

What color are you thinking of? That might help narrow down the options a bit.

o

Needles, I am planning a white sink. I guess that's what I think of farmstyle as being :) I didn't know until I got on this site that they were even available in colors!

o
RE:Needles

Needles, I am planning a white sink. I guess that's what I think of farmstyle as being :) I didn't know until I got on this site that they were even available in colors!

o

There are several companies that make farmstyle sinks, but the two most popular here seems to be the Rohl (Shaw) apron sink and the Kohler Whitehaven apron sink. Rohl is fireclay and Kohler is cast iron. After much deliberating and examining of both sinks, I went with the Rohl. Actually got an excellent price online that was cheaper than the Kohler in the sea salt finish that we liked. I talked to people who had the Rohl for several years and they were very happy with it with no problems.

Franke I believe makes stainless steel apron sinks. Ikea also has apron sinks for really inexpensive prices, but don't know how high they are fired at or how they wear over time. Whatever sink you choose, get a grid for the bottom of it to protect it from normal wear and tear.

o

Franke also makes a beautiful farmhouse fireclay apron front. It's gorgeous; more square than the Rohl. I have the Franke Manor house apron front in my current home and I love it. That being said, I'm torn whether to get the Shaws or Franke Fireclay in my new house. Both are beauties!

o

We went with the 30" whitehaven which is not yet installed. I decided on that bc I was too chicken for fireclay and love the look of the whitehaven anyway...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here