Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nadianyc_gw

Cabinet insert range hoods-do your cabinets get dirty?

nadianyc
10 years ago

Considering a cabinet insert range hood for a sleeker look but concerned about the cabinets getting greasy/dirty. Has anyone ever had this issue?

Comments (9)

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I don't know what a cabinet insert range hood is ... ?

• Bunny
    10 years ago

jellytoast, I have the same question. I googled it and found several types, including mine, an unassuming hood that sits under a shorter upper cabinet and extends out over the stove. Others are shown completely enclosed within an upper cabinet, except for the bottom surface.

I don't do a lot of frying or searing. The upper white cabinet over my hood has no more grease on it than any other part of my kitchen, i.e., none.

• nadianyc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The cabinet insert hood allows for a more integrated look in a modern kitchen. Doing a completely new kitchen and I cook a lot. My current range is a 36 inch Viking with matching Viking professional wall hood and yes, it does get greasy at the filter as well as at the top of the hood but it's easy to clean as it's stainless. My concern is yellowing/staining of the cabinets over time with the cab insert hood.

• nadianyc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the look I'm going for.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

My parents have an integrated hood that actually can be tilted, which activates the exhaust fan, and yes, the cabinet above is greasy; however, not as much as over my OTR microwave.

The cabinet is flush when closed.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Yes the bottom edge of the cabinet will get a little greasy since it is acting as part of the "capture area" instead of a hood. You should also line the underside of the cabinet with fireproof material. I had a stainless piece fabricated for the underside of my cabinets when I did it.

My cabinets were flush straight across. They did not project out further over the range. I did this in two other kitchens as well where the client did not want an obvious looking hood.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 12:09

• nadianyc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the pics! I like the look of both. So now problems with permanent marks on cabs?

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

If this is the look you want, just include wiping off that cabinet as part of your countertop, stove evening clean-up.
    I don't have this type, I have an OTR. When I do my wipe-down, I also do the exposed top, door and sides of the OTR . No matter how hard you try, sometimes when frying things (like bacon), splatters happen..even that high.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County