Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jett254_gw

Princess White quartzite slab - what do you think?

jett254
10 years ago

I have been searching for the perfect countertop for our new kitchen in a 1927 stone colonial house - cabinets will be white inset cabinets, floors will be stained in place red oak to match the rest of the house. I really wanted a countertop with a marble look and cool tones like gray and white, not warm tones. We want to use white subway backsplash.

I fell in love with one stone and then it stained horribly so that one was out. Now I'm leaning toward this white princess but it definitely has more movement than I have envisioned - please give honest opinions! I need to tag the slabs today!!!

I should add - I considered Taj Mahal, Madreperla, Dolce Vita, Super White, etc... but didn't see a slab I liked better.

This post was edited by jett254 on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 5:43

Comments (22)

• Lisa
    10 years ago

It's beautiful!! And it sounds like exactly what you're looking for...tag it:)

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

I LOVE it. When I put in my granite, I sort of lamented that it didn't have more movement. My cabs and backsplash are plain and they could have taken it. I wish I could crawl in that picture and swipe it. You better get it : )

• jett254
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! Do you think it is definitely Princess White quartzite??

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

I think it is ABSOLUTELY beautiful!!! Do you have pics of your cabinet/flooring choices?

• Lisa
    10 years ago

I have no clue if it's actually Princess White quartzite but if you can bring home a sample to test and it passes, who cares!! It's so pretty. It seems like the slabs and counters I have seen that were Princess White were more white than that with subtle gray. But as with all stone, no two look the same. If it were me, I would tag them and bring home a small piece. If it doesn't stand up to your tests then you can always call them this afternoon and "untag" it.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I think it's beautiful. Lots of swirly movement without being overwhelming.

• romy718
    10 years ago

It's beautiful. Ditto lcskaisgir. Get it tagged stat & a sample for testing.

• msbubbaclees
    10 years ago

The movement will be less dramatic once it is cut into narrow pieces for perimeter counters. Even a larger island piece won't look as dramatic when it is horizontal (at least, that was my experience when picking out my counters).

• threegraces
    10 years ago

I love it!!! That is exactly what I wished I had looked harder for when picking a slab for the island with our red oak, white shaker kitchen.

• ajinnh
    10 years ago

Very, very pretty. Congratulations on finding something that you love, harder than it sounds, at least for me. I hope it passes all of your tests and that you are very happy with your choice.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

It's beautiful. Tag it immediately! Then, test it and test it again. Names are meaningless, test results are what you need.

• jett254
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It FAILED! It stained when I tested it, it doesn't scratch glass and I can actually chip it easily on the surface with the tip of a steak knife (and I have a sample of taj mahal that can scratch glass, didn't stain with the same test and didn't chip with the knife). I think it isn't white princess quartzite - when they opened up all the slabs today for me to pick ones, one of them was labeled "white lorena marble" - I asked the guy and he said it was a mistake but when I google that, it looks exactly like this stone. So bummed! Thoughts?

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

I think it is a marble. If you are okay with the maintenance I say go for it! If not, keep looking.

• jett254
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it is a marble too - it was advertised as a quartzite and I'm paying quartzite prices - $100/square foot. If i was going to deal with marble, I'd figure it would be much less, right? Plus I'm avoiding marble - I have two young boys and I think this would be a nightmare - the staining was awful....ugh.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

It probably is a marble -- it was even labeled as such. I encountered a slabyard where they labeled a "quartzite" that was really a marble -- and were trying to charge a premium over marble for it! If your heart was set on it and it won't work for you, I feel for you.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Ugh!! It is REALLY annoying when stone yards mislabel stones!!! Just be honest and let us decide if we want to deal with the consequences. There are plenty of people out there that know nothing about etching, staining, and would never think or know to test it. Therefore, there would still be plenty of potential buyers out there. I had the same dilemma when I was shopping but with Superwhite. Most stone yards were labeling it as a quartzite or granite and every single sample I brought home etched and stained. One stone yard was up front and had warning labels on all of their stones that were marble or anything that could stain or etch more than your average granite. Keep looking...you will find a great alternative!

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Wow. A total win for the GW scratch and etch test. Thank goodness you did that, nice work!

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

Bummer! Keep looking and something will jump out at you when you least expect it :)

• ssdarb
    10 years ago

Thank goodness karin_mt taught us about the scratch test!

Super white is a marble too and it is often listed as a quartzite.

• heidia
    10 years ago

It is gorgeous but does sound like a marble

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

It is gorgeous but sounds like it is marble. You have to decide what amount of upkeep you can handle for a counter.