Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rem1970_gw

Urgent question about sink reveal

rem1970
13 years ago

I purchased the Kohler 8 Degree single undermount sink (K-3673) and am uncertain about the type of reveal it requires. It looks to me from the pictures provided by Kohler that it should be installed with either a zero reveal or a positive reveal.

I would really appreciate some advice on this, as I am having my countertops templated on Thursday morning. I want to be super clear with the fabricator. Since there is a wine glass drying rack made to hang off the beveled edge I want to make sure I don't screw this up.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler 8 Degree Sink

Comments (12)

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

There should be a spec sheet for the sink. If not, call Kohler customer service and ask them.

Photo would be good for the fabricator since this is not a standard sink they would have necessary seen before.

Great sink. My eyes are green.

• rem1970
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks rococogurl. I should've mentioned that the spec sheet says nothing about the type of reveal to use. I just tried calling Kohler customer service and they were no help either.

• rem1970
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bump...

• ironcook
    13 years ago

bump...

sorry i don't have an answer; just thought i'd insert the picture for you in case it helps.

• Sherri Stein
    13 years ago

what a gorgeous sink!

• rem1970
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, ironcook -- I'm clueless when it comes to posting actual pictures, so it was really nice of you to help with that. Hopefully I'll get some advice in the next few hours.

Learningguru, thanks for your kind words. Besides the design, what also drew me to the sink is that it is very spacious. The wine glass rack is what sold me though, ;o)

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Just to chime in, out sink shopping last weekend with my DH, of all the sinks we saw the only one he stopped to examine was the Kohler 8 Degree. It is even more stunningly beautiful in real life than in the photos!

I found my DH uttering phrases I've never heard coming from his lips before like, "you only live once, let's splurge," "What's a little more credit card debt?" "I could get a second job...," "With this sink I would do all the dishes for you for the rest of your life." Alas, I could not take him up on that offer because I decided I want a cast iron sink.

Hope you get the reveal figured out and "reveal" your gorgeous sink for GW soon.

• mikef1
    13 years ago

There was a similar thread here not too long ago and, in the end, the consensus seemed to be that it is strictly a personal opinion. Some minor pros and cons to each but nothing to lose sleep over.

• rem1970
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks mikefl, I think I may have come across the thread you're referring to. I know that to a large extent it is based on personal taste, but I don't know if this specific sink *requires* a certain type of reveal because of the beveled edge. Or if certain cons would be magnified with one type of reveal vs another because of the sink design.

francoise47, your post made me smile. I will say that while the sink wasn't cheap, I was able to get a great deal for it.

• cfrasch
    11 years ago

I'm curious what you decided to do and if you have any pictures you would be willing to share. I'm considering this sink and would love to hear your feedback about it now that you've had it a while.

• mmhmmgood
    11 years ago

I have the Kohler stages which also comes with accessories. You will want either flush(zero) reveal or positive reveal if the accessories are meant to fit in that bevelled space, a negative reveal simply won't allow that. It seems you are already aware of that, but since my templater almost insisted on a negative reveal before I showed him the sink accessories just thought I'd add that.

My templater also said that a flush reveal can be a bit more difficult to achieve than a negative reveal depending on the technology used. He used laser measurements, promised me a true flush reveal, then I had to have my super amazing contractor fix it after. It was off by a few mm but enough that my accessories didn't fit. I have soapstone, so it was an easy enough fix, but still irritating. That was one of many many many issues I had with my fabricator and I'm not sure my results are typical. I include it only as a cautionary tale. Positive or flush reveal would both be fine from the looks of your sink (pretty awesome btw!,) as long as your fabricator can deliver on your preference so I would be sure to discuss that with them. Be clear on how any possible mistakes will be rectified and you should be good to go!

Good luck, hth

mmhmm

• mmhmmgood
    11 years ago

Oh my! Just discovered my comments are a bit late in the game. How did it go after all?