Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlesmokie

Inset hinge-help me choose

littlesmokie
13 years ago

We need non mortised hinges (see link) for our painted inset cabinets please help me choose what would look better: ball tip or minuret (finial)?

I have searched this topic here and on web, but not finding what I need and I cannot tell folks' hinge choices from some of my inspiration photos (katieob? erikanh? ajard?... anyone know what hinges they chose?)

Our house is 1913 Colonial, we're doing polished nickel hardware for less contrast with our off white painted cabinets and will have a 48" stainless range, but generally we are going for more the look of a modest/period kitchen (fir floors, oil rubbed bronze schoolhouse fixtures, reclaimed wood island, etc.) We're doing some cupboard latches and I'd planned (but am now having second thoughts about) ice box latches along with some cup pulls for the drawer fronts if that helps you picture the kitchen.

So I'm torn...ball is probably simpler but the fact that the hardware is supposed to be the "bling" in the kitchen makes me wonder whether to get the minuret. Is one more popular than the other? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Which hinge 1100B or 1100M?

Comments (7)

• littlesmokie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm perhaps I should not be allowed to select the MINARET style if I misspell it...LOL

• littlesmokie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can anyone advise whether the ball or minaret style is more period appropriate for our 1913 Colonial? Are they both ok and it's just personal preference?

• John Liu
    13 years ago

This isn't very helpful, but to me the differences are so subtle, especially in a highly polished finish, that it is hard to have any strong preference. I guess I'd do the ball style as it seems a touch more consistent with the humble look.

• ci_lantro
    13 years ago

I'd go with the ball tip because I like it better & it seems more 'Colonial' to me. Esp. if the cabinets are Shaker style with flat panels.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I like the minaret. It just looks a little sleeker and prettier. The ball top one is also very nice, but I just was drawn to the lines of the minaret.

• littlesmokie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

johnliu, that is a good point about the polished finish making the hinge style less noticeable. You are right and I didn't think of that. Takes the pressure off a bit! And I agree with the more "humble" comment about the ball style.

ci lantro, I'm glad you think the ball style is consistent with colonial. We're doing slab front drawers with recessed modified shaker bevel cabinets and definitely the cabinet style will be more important than the hinges in carrying off the correct era of the home.

dianalo, I feel the same way- that the minaret is just a bit...prettier/more elegant. I also think the end being tapered might help the hinges disappear visually a bit more. The minaret tip does make the overall length of that hinge a bit longer which I thought might nicely emphasize the verticality I'm going for overall.

Unfortunately they are the same price, so I can't use the "cheaper" criteria...

My husband feels the minaret is a bit...ornate/feminine? So I think since I like both equally this may be one decision I'll let him make since he has let me make all the ones that have really mattered! ;)

I'm hoping that this hinge decision is one of many that seems important in determining the direction of my entire kitchen design in the moment but which I will quickly realize once the decision is made that it didn't really matter! I think I am going with the ball tip, because I think that is the much more common style. Thanks again everyone!

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I have inset shaker style doors, and went with ORB ball tip hinges. Don't have any doors installed yet so no pictures, but I've got a box of hinges and a large pile of cut oak, so we're getting closer!

While I love the fancier tip, it didn't go well with the look I was after in the kitchen (old farmhouse).