Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

where to buy those !@#^&%!@$ gu24 bulbs?

michoumonster
11 years ago

Hi all,
I posted this question in the lighting forum but got no response, except a private email from some guy wanting to sell me some led bulbs from his factory in China. So hoping someone can help me out here in my favorite forum :-)

So I was wondering, I know a lot of you have to comply with the dreaded title24 for your kitchens. Part of this is using those gu24-based lights in kitchens and baths. Now that I have my 4" gu-24 recessed lights installed, I have to buy lightbulbs by next week for inspection. But I cannot find where to buy these things. They seem to be specialty items still, despite it being required?

I am looking for R20s, Par20s, or A19 bulbs that have the gu24 base.

Thank you for any advice on lightbulb brands, models, places to buy, etc.. !!

Comments (16)

• amandasplit
    11 years ago

Have you looked online? We ended up going to a local lighting store and ended up getting kits with the housing, trim and led module. I remember gu24s being a pain to find, too.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

amanda, i tried looking online, but so many of the lightbulb stores seemed kind of fly-by-night, so I was afraid to order from them without any reviews.
    amazon.com itself did not carry any bulbs other than the usual edison screw-in CFLs that I could tell...

truthfully, I haven't had good experiences at the local lighting places that I have visited so far (many which failed to even give me quotes), so I ended up ordering my gu24 recessed light housings and trims from build.com online. but they don't sell the bulbs. go figure..

• xamsx
    11 years ago

Looking online, Amazon seems to sell them. You may want to give it a look see.

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

I use bulbs.com for weird bulbs. I just bought GU24 bulbs this week at Dixieline, too, if you are in SD. HD generally has a big selection.

• 1929Spanish
    11 years ago

I hate title 24. Thanks for letting me say that.

If I recall, I think you're in Orange County. Light Bulbs Etc in Orange is supposed to have A good selection. Our contractor uses them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light Bulbs Etc website

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    11 years ago

Even better idea! Instead of the floods you could put in the Cree Ecosmart 6" LED. It comes in both a regular medium base and a GU24 base. We had existing fluorescent soffits and existing incandescent cans to which we added LED pendants and fluorescent UC (the contractor doesn't like LED) and that was okay with the inspector. However, I'm retrofitting the incandescents with the Cree bulbs. I put one in for a test and it's very nice light. It makes the neighboring incandescents look dingy. Although they are supposed to provide an equivalent number of lumens to the 65 W, they are actually a bit brighter. They don't dim down quite as far, but I can't imagine why I would want to dim them anyway. They're a snap to install once you figure out how to gut the old can. Since the thumbscrew to remove the relevant bracket was on the front of the can where I couldn't see it, that took me a while, but the rest should go pretty quickly once they arrive.

I like title 24. It has really pushed the manufacturers to come out with modern replacements for the 100+ year old incandescent bulb.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cree GU24

• Gooster
    11 years ago

Title 24 has an admiral goal, but in a typical screwed up California fashion, should have been obviated when they began to phase out incandescent bulbs.

Lowes has an A19 LED Utilitech bulb with an A19 base. As mentioned, I believe the Crees and HD Ecosmarts have an adapter.

Of the larger online retailers, besides Amazon, Wayfair has PAR30 and PAR38 GU-24s.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

xamsx, the bulbs i need are sold by third party guys on amazon without any reviews, so i am hesitant to do so. but i might if i cannot find any other place.

1929spanish, i am in northern CA, but thanks for the link to light bulbs etc. i will check out their online store.

jxbrown, thanks for the link to bulbs.com. their website was so basic, so i was hesitant to use them, but if you were able to purchase from them with no problems, I feel better about trying them out. i did use 6" cree ecosmart leds in my family room, but wanted 4 inch lights everywhere else, so had to go the traditional route.

gooster, jackpot!! thanks so much! i was hoping for a local place to get these. i never thought to check lowes, after HD didn't have them, lol!

I still have to find the gu24 r20s, hopefully at one of these online retailers you guys recommended. otherwise, i will have to ask if i can use an adaptor, but i had read on lighting forum that adaptors are not allowed?

thanks everybody! you guys are the best!!

• Fori
    11 years ago

Cheap ones kept burning out in our cheap vanity fixture so my spouse went online and ended up getting them from Rejuvenation of all places (since the ones that came with the fixtures for our kitchen remodel lasted). I guess the prices were about the going rate (spouse is in procurement by trade and cheap by nature) and they aren't burning out on us.

• sjerin
    11 years ago

Check Rejuvenation in Berkeley. When i was there last they had a ton of different ones for sale. But maybe call first if you're interested.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Michou - wright lighting in San Jose

Or else online at schoolhouse electric.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

fori and sjerin, i had no idea there was a rejuvenation in Berkeley. i will have to go there to check out all of their pretty lights in person. thanks!

GWlolo, thanks i will call up wright lighting to see if they have the bulbs. that will be quite convenient if they do. thank you!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Found this site in another thread, maybe here? I see they have the Cree in gu 24, I'm guessing they might have those other ones, but I'm not sure exactly what they are.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lighting site

• artemis78
    11 years ago

Rejuvenation has a great selection, as others noted. We ordered our 150w equivalents online since we couldn't find them locally at the time, though. I want to say I got them from lightbulbemporium.com but not sure--hunting for email receipt! We got Maxlite bulbs which are going strong two years in.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    11 years ago

williamsem, thanks for the link! i will check them out.

artemis, thanks, I definitely want to check out rejuvenation. good to know maxlite is a good brand too.

thank you!

• nanj
    11 years ago

Online retailer Pegasus Lighting has a huge selection (of everything lighting) and great customer service. They answered several email questions for me when I was replacing CFLs for the can lights in my kitchen. My sister purchased undercabinet lighting from them. She called them and they were so knowledgeable about options for her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pegasus Lighting