Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjlyders

Creating a central kitchen

rjlyders
10 years ago

BACKGROUND:
During the necessary remodeling of our old 1940's house, we are taking the bold step of moving our kitchen to the center of the house. There was an 2nd "servant" staircase that was just cramped and unused. By removing the 2nd staircase, we have a great opportunity to move our kitchen to a more central location as opposed to the far back corner of the house where it used to be. We were happy to find out that moving the kitchen will only cost a few thousand dollars towards re-framing and re-supporting a few key load-bearing walls.

REQUEST
I am looking for advice regarding the area immediately behind the kitchen that currently is a very wide hallway. In the attached PDF plan, we are proposing that the large hallway is converted into an additional 30 sqft half bath and closet. A laundry area was another option, but we already have a laundry area upstairs. We already have a nice large pantry off the kitchen on the other side, so I don't think we need another pantry. Please comment on your thoughts regarding the best use of the space immediately behind the long kitchen wall that is currently identified as a 30 sqft half bath. I am driven to convert the hallway into a more useful space. Thanks!

Comments (5)