Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What molding do you have on craftsman/shaker style cabinets?

Posted by aussies (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 08 at 3:55

I'm looking for ideas on what kind of molding to put on top of shaker cabinets. We have been tossing up between going with 36'' uppers with molding or 42'' cabs without. I really would prefer to have molding, but 6'' of molding to reach the ceiling seems like quite a lot, especially for such a simple door style. I would love to find a way to make it work though.

Please share your pictures of your cabinets with (or without) molding ... close up pics of your molding would be even better! (unless you have 39'' cabinets ... that will just give me 39-inch-envy LOL)

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What molding do you have on craftsman/shaker style cabinets?

Here's our molding, on 42-inch Shaker-style cabinets:

And one from a little further back:

o

I have 36 inch cabinets & 8 ft. ceilings. Here are some photos of my moulding.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Here's my simple, not to the ceiling type molding - I have a vaulted ceiling.

Hearth_Hood-00361

o

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Great question! I hope more people post pictures because this is tremenously helpful. What very different looks!

o

Thanks everyone! This is really helpful. There are some great ideas there. I wonder if any of these are Kraftmaid cabinets? Seems like maybe KM doesn't have that many molding options ... I'm hoping to construct something out of a combination of their molding and filler pieces. I just came across something called the "golden ratio" that I am now trying to incorporate into the design ... or am I overanalyzing this? ... perhaps this is just a symptom of being way too TKO! I'm sure my KD would be rolling his eyes!

o

We did a simple two step to the top of our 9ft ceilings.

o

It's hard to see from this picture, but my molding is exactly like vjrnts. Notice in vjrnts' closeup that there is a flat molding on top of the cabinet and under the cove molding. This is placed there to minimize the appearance of ceiling height variances. I think a two or three step crown would work especially well for your six inch gap because it would keep the proportions right.

A simple cove or flat crown molding like gibby3000's is very typical for arts & crafts and craftsman styles.

Kitchen -Baking Center

o

we did cove molding to our 8 ft. ceilings:
Photobucket

o

Ours looks just like minnt's. Many people do traditional molding, our cabinet designer insisted that the flat molding is architecturally correct with the Shaker style, but whatever. It doesn't really matter, it's just what you like!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here