Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
italyvespa

How much did you spend on your kitchen tile? (sq/ft)

italyvespa
13 years ago

Yes, I'm nosey. But no judgment!

Comments (35)

• Mossfern
    13 years ago

About $13/square foot. They are mosaic marble. I have pencil tile as a top border and used for a design-type thing behind my stove with a diagonal design insert in 6"X 6" marble tiles. If I find my camera, I'll be able to post photos. I don't have much back splash area because I have windows that come down to the counter top.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

About $7/sf for field tile plus a bit more for the simple bullnose pieces I edged with.

• prill
    13 years ago

Mine was around $12-13.00 a sq ft and the insets were more expensive. Mine is Winchester tile. I have to say I liked many that were more like $30-50.00.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Our tile retailed at $35 a square foot, but I haunted the dealer's site until there was a 40% off sale. So we paid $21 a square foot. We economized in a lot of other places (all DIY, Ikea cabinets, scratch-and-dent sink, etc.) and needed a fairly small amount (35 square feet). So it was about $750.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

I totally lucked out and the "one" out of 20 that went best with my granite was $3 sq ft. First time I chose one of the cheaper options (didn't know the price until I looked at the back). I just lined up those tiles and lived with them for a week or so - every day weeding out a few more. My tile is a light cream subway.

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

I fell in love with Interstyle's Barcode glass tile in Dragonfish.

It was $70 per 2"x10" tile. DH bought me a box for my birthday. The rest of our field tile(a mix of marble, ceramic, and porcelain) was bought from the Habitat Restore, salvage shops, etc. Cheap, cheap, cheap. I cut them up into 2-bys and laid them out randomly.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

We bought in the backroom odds and ends pile for our lobby--$.50 apiece for roughly 1 foot squares. Don't try to duplicate this. This was once in a lifetime. Very very dull and uninteresting ivory white tile but it has little lines in it that mimic doghair so I don't have to sweep. This is in new lobby walkpath adjacent to kitchen (wood floor in kitchen).

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    13 years ago

We haven't started our kitchen remodel yet, but we plan on using plain white subway tile from Lowe's for the backsplash. At $.22 per tile, it works out to $1.76/sq.ft. I'd love a crackle finish, but I can't stand spending so much more for something so subtle that only I would notice!

• billp1
    13 years ago

At several local dealers it was about $8 sq ft. On line we paid for the same tile $4 sq ft no tax and free shipping.

It pays to shop around. We purchased 500 sq ft so we saved a lot of money.

• willtv
    13 years ago

For the backsplash, Daltile Rittenhouse Square 3x6 subway tile about $5 sqft.

For the floor, Montauk Black Slate 24x24, about $4 sqft.

• johnnyl53
    13 years ago

@willtv...Now that is a beautiful floor.

We kept the same floor tile as the floor was replaced just 4 or 5 years ago and went remarkably well with our cabinet selection.

For the backsplash we didn't have a lot of square feet and not a lot of space between the counter, the stove and the upper cabs to do much in the way of a design. The advice from our granite/tile person was to let the granite shine and go plain on the backsplash. However, the 3x6 that we liked, even though it was a relatively plain subway in a beige/biscuit color was a handmade tile that came to $26 per sq. ft. Total with 10 bullnose pieces and several 6" cap rail pieces probably came to about $900 plus freight.

It was an indulgence in a small kitchen but with the UCL's it makes a grand statement for something kinda plain.

• kitchendreaming
    13 years ago

I am also interested in this, I guess everybody has quoted the price of the tiles themselves, how much is the labor on top of that? thanks!

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

The tile was $21 a square foot. Materials (thinset, grout, sponges, drill mixer attachment) were probably another $100 or less. The labor was free. DH and I DIY'd it.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

$0

Ok, a little more than that. It retails for around $22 sq/ft. And since 30sq feet was free from the contest I only needed to purchase a small amount.

Avert your eyes if you don't want to see this again.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

I spent a lot per sq ft but what really costs more is the time to plan the whole project and execute it. Attention to detail, more money, and Time.

• willtv
    13 years ago

johnnyl53, Thanks for the compliment.

How about a picture?

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I went with cheap field tiles from HD (Daltile) and they were approz $2-$3a sqft (forget the exact number). The bullnose edge tiles cost more.
    We also have some architectural salvage fireplace surround tiles that cost about $100 and will use those as a mat to frame out the feature.
    For the feature, we went with a 3 tile set that has a design to it. That cost almost $200 and I'd seriously never want to find out how much that works out to per sqft for the entire feature area.
    The total package was a lot cheaper than our original plan due to finding cheap gray subway tiles for the field.

I will be attempting a DIY, so I am glad I will be cutting mostly cheap tiles, so screw ups won't be so bad. I have a fairly blank sink wall to do with no uppers, so will try to minimize cuts by careful planning/laying out.

• melissastar
    13 years ago

$12 a sq. foot for an Ann Sachs basic subway. That was a lot more expensive than I had anticipated, but it was the only one I could find that was the color and style that worked exactly the way I wanted it to with the Motawi accent tiles that I had my heart set on. And they were a god awful price...about $600 (I think) for 12 Dard Hunter flowers and small 1" wide tile "frames" to go around them.

But I love 'em!

• johnnyl53
    13 years ago

I couldn't post a pic earlier of out tile but here's a couple. We really like the variations in the handmade tile. It adds a little texture to the backsplash since we didn't go with any design or fancy trim. I don't even know who made these. Our granite place, Fordham Marble in Stamford had them in the showroom and we ordered through them @ $26 per sq. ft. Total was 28 sq ft.

I like the cap rail trim in this one. It's actually supposed to over lap the top row slightly but it didn't look right so the tile guy cut the back edge off so it would fit nicely right above the top row.

• artemis78
    13 years ago

We went cheap on the tile too, and got Lanka subway tile for $4/SF. Looked at some pricier options, but the "perfect" tile was $18/SF, which was way beyond our budget. We used the Lanka Acquarello line which had been discontinued, so it was discounted through our local tile shop. The liner ended up costing as much as the field tile! I do wish we had splurged and gotten the custom bullnosed liner for the edging, though---it was $7 a piece which would have meant $200 more on our project, though, so I couldn't quite justify it at the time. We used bullnose subways instead (1.50/piece for those), but I don't think it looks as good as the liner trim would have.

We did (are in the midst of doing!) the work ourselves, which turned out to be not terribly hard, though time consuming. So the cost for installation was pretty minimal. Our city has a tool lending library that has several tile wet saws, so we just checked that and other miscellaneous tile tools out for the weekend. Our budget for the backsplash was $500, which worked out fine.

• elle3
    13 years ago

Johnny153 your tile is so pretty...please find out the manufacturer! There are a few recent posters looking for a tile similar to yours :)

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

I'm another cheapie Lowe's job. I think they were about $2/sq ft, and I probably spent under $100 on grout and thinset and stuff (I bought premixed to make it easier on myself and figured I could spend more since the tiles were so little).

I thought it would be fine, but I ended up loving it more than I imagined.

• frmrsdghtr
    13 years ago

noellabelle - do you know what color your grout is? I'm looking for a similar look. thanks!

• jzinckgra
    13 years ago

I am amazed at the range of tile prices. We're hoping to build this year and will have ~500sqft of tile throughout. We're budgeting for $3-4/sqft per tile. Most will be going over radiant heat with plywood subfloor, Hardiebaord then the tile. I realize basic colors are less expensive then multicolor designs, but what is the potential disadvantage to going with a cheaper tile in terms of durability? Will they be more prone to breaking/cracking? Is there any reason to think we need a more pricey tile? We'll likely go with a porcelain or ceramic tile type.

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

I used vintage white ready to use grout from Lowes.

• blonde1125
    13 years ago

I found one at Lowe's that I like that is cheap but they don't make any pencil tiles that match. So I went to a tile store. Found a Sonoma tile that I really like but it is $27.00 sq ft just for the 3x3's. More for the decorative pieces. Not sure I want to spend that much. DH is bugging me to "just pick something" so we can get it installed. But I don't think he wants to spend that much either. The search continues.....

• willtv
    13 years ago

Johnny153, thanks for the pix. The handmade tile looks great and the cap rail is a great finishing touch.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

ot: noellabelle... love the wall color. which did you decide on? is that sea salt? :)

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Laxsupermom! I sweated those barcode tiles for a while whilst planning my backsplash. In the end I wound up going a very plain route... 6x12 and 3x6 glass subway layout, tiles from Cancos tiles in NY. They came out to $28 per sq foot. Man I love those barcode tiles!!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

the ones I plan on getting are $15 a square foot... more then I care to spend but I haven't seen anything cheaper that's the same. They are a frosted beach glass color in 4x12's.

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

hellonasty, I fell hard for the barcode tiles. When I found out the price, I told DH that we couldn't spend that much on tiles. So I looked for months and months. I went to every tile store in 150 miles. I brought home other samples. Nothing spoke to me.

DH totally surprised me with a dozen of them for my birthday, and asked, "Will this be enough of them?" Yes, Yes, OMG Yes! I planned the whole backsplash around those tiles. All the rest of the tiles came in at under $100. The week at the wet saw cutting down the field tiles was so worth it.

• calimama
    13 years ago

Mine was about $7.00 a sf, which was great. Then I had to pay almost as much for shipping, which made it about $12 a sf. We had a friend install it, and paid a flat rate, so all total,with sealer,(no grout), etc. it ended up costing about $20 a sq.ft.

Still, waaaay cheaper than the Fire and Ice I originally wanted, and I think in retrospect the F & I would have been overkill in my already busy kitchen.

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

ironcook, thanks! I think I could have gone a little bolder, but I'm overall very happy with how it looks. Were you doing rainwashed somewhere? I get mixed up!

laxsupermom, have you posted your finished kitchen? I can't remember seeing it and I want to! LOL

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

laxsupermom, do you have a link to big pics of your kitchen and backsplash? Would love to see it.

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

I didn't want to hijack this thread, so I posted pics, sortof, on a new thread here.