Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash help!

Posted by nataliecm4 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 3:19

We finished our kitchen almost three years ago, and are still contemplating a backsplash (I'll add this -- my mom is still contemplating a backsplash, as I am in college and don't live at home). She needs help figuring out what direction to go in, and I told her I'd try to help her out!

The cabinets are a dark cherry, appliances are stainless steel, wall color is a warm gold, and countertops are a standard venetian gold. Although the kitchen works well with the house, I would have gone a slightly different direction (I can't get enough of creamy white cabinets with a gorgeous white marble, granite, or quartz).

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash help!

We are really hoping to do something other than tan tiles, which is what generally comes up with a Google search.

This post was edited by nataliecm4 on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 3:41

o

There is a reason you might like to go plain.
My mom has the same venetian gold counters, with cabinets that are a honey maple color. She wanted impact on her backsplash so they just installed something like this, and now she regrets it, as it is way too busy. (This is not her kitchen, but rather a photo I pulled from google search)

Here's another with busier tiles.

Next up are two with quieter tile backsplashes, that still have some interest.

So she's going to have to decide how much "busy" she wants.

o

A vote for quieter 6x6 tiles on the diagonal here with matching grout. Lots of beautiful color in the counters and rich colored cabinets.

o

So, you do have a bs. It's about 4" tall and made of the same granite as your counter. Are you planning to remove that strip or tile from there on up? You have a lot of switch plates and outlets on your walls. Have you thought about how you would deal with them if the area were tiled? Also, what's your budget in $/sf?

You could just paint your switch plate covers and call it a day.

o

I have similar elements. My cabinets are darker and less orangey in real life. I went with a porcelain mini brick that I love!!

o

At one point, I wanted a fancy backsplash but heeded the advice from GW.
I used a bit of creativity with the tiles and did include the mosaic.
I wouldn't recommend the mosaic with your DM's kitchen with the granite 4 inch backsplash already in place.
 photo IMG_6867.jpg
 photo IMG_6830.jpg
Another option would be to put SS behind the stove and use an easy clean paint for the rest of the area.

o

Food for thought... :) 2x4 beveled crema marfil.

Just got ours done, after 2 /12 years without! :)

Good luck!

o

one more, close up

o

Sandesurf-absolutely love your backsplash. I have similar dark cabinets and light granite. I am looking for a similar tile in my area. I want to have it ready when the weather breaks so I can break out my wet saw and start tiling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here