Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Custom cutting boards

Posted by GWlolo (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 2:26

I know some of you have custom cutting boards. Any recommendations on who can make those and how much hey would cost? I am looking get a 26x16 custom shaped cutting board that will fit in my sink. Maybe walnut..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Custom cutting boards

First place I'd try is someone who makes wood counters. I know of a local place and here is how I found them:

My old neighbor had the most gorgeous walnut 10' island in her kitchen. I got the name of the company from her. They were about 2 hours from where we lived. But I called him when we were moving and considering walnut for our island--he actually gave me the name of a local kitchen place that was a local rep for his product in this area.

This guy made gorgeous bars tops for bars, different wood counters, etc.

I'm sure someone like this could easily make you a custom cutting board.

So perhaps you can ask around and get names of local businesses that specialize in custom wood counters.

I know, not much help.

o

check out http://theboardsmith.com/ This is what I'm planning on getting. He gets great reviews from folks on KitchenKnifeForums.com. He has standard sizes but does anything custom you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: The BoardSMITH

o

I would second bee's idea to look for someone locally, even someone who makes cutting boards. We decided we wanted a custom one for our island after about a year in our new kitchen, and I had a really nice portable one that was made by someone who lives in our state (his name was on the back). I googled him and found a website so I emailed and asked if he ever did custom work like this. Turns out he lives not far from us, so we emailed ideas and plans back and forth and then he came out and measured. We are very happy with the result:

photo IMG_0341.jpg

photo IMG_0357-1.jpg

o

A woodworker or cabinet maker could do this for you. Look for ones who have cnc capabilities if you are looking for a really custom shape. They can certainly do it manually, but a cnc would give them nice consistent curves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here