Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Start date approaching! Help me make a hood decision

Posted by gooster (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 2:11

My cabinets are arriving, the rooms are getting cleared and my start date approaches! I've made most of my decisions, but I have a major decision on the hood we're still waffling on. The room is rather long and narrow, and the hood is visually centered on one end -- we're trying to highlight some features on the short walls to help visually foreshorten the room and make it appear wider.

Anyhow, the range is a stainless-brushed chrome Cornufe, the cabinets white, the counters grey. We really only have space for a 36" wall-mount hood (up to 40 inches of space).

We're stuck decided between three options. The default, non custom choice is this Kobe:

To be honest, it is the least expensive but it is well reviewed. It just leaves me a bit cold and puts a lot of stainless in one area.

We are also considering some customized Vent-a-Hood options (Prizer and Abakka are probably too expensive and I don't like the local Modernaire dealer):

Something that might look like this, except perhaps with a solid white or grey body instead of all stainless:

That backsplash tile was our original choice but the color in the end reads too creamy for our cabinetry.

Or something simpler, like this except with a grey or white body:

I like how the polished stainless lip real ads an element of shine that will play on some other design elements.

Here are the three in mockups:
 photo hoodchoices_zps28453d50.jpg

This post was edited by gooster on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 12:35

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Start date approaching! Help me make a hood decision

If you can afford it, the Ventahood with the straps and rivets. It is a nice complement to your range.

I too would prefer something with a little bit of oomph to it but have found them all to be quite costly. I actually saw this at Ikea the other day and like the looks (and price). I am trying to find some more about it.

(Recently I have been having problems getting pictures to copy for these forums. Sorry.) Ikea Datid hood http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80200651/

o

My vote is for the Vent A Hood.

o

I think you are pointing out the right question I should have asked: knowing that custom might complement the design better, is the price delta really worth it? The delta is about $1.5 to $1.7K, but that gap would be cut down by upgrading the backsplash tile used with the plainer, standard hood.

o

gooster, i vote for the ventahood also. you might try looking at rangecraft hoods. they have a clearance section on their website with some nice hoods that look similar.

o

My vote is for you mockup hood A.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here