Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

2A Sea Pearl needs a backsplash...not III

Peke
10 years ago

Bookworm, I think I want large subway tile.

Romy, What do you mean...Peke, did you get a blue/green & a dark grey tile with the Storm?

I have Storm and Stream. Are you talking about the tile under Storm?

Cashmere is nice, except for some of the edges. It gets a little yellow green.

Riviera looks bluer at night. I like the picture of Sky in the bottom two tiles. The crackles look gray in my kitchen. I like the Bali in the last picture. I think it will look bluer next to my oak. I like all three colors.

This picture is Stream.

Comments (41)

• jesshs
    10 years ago

My favorite of the tiles you've posted is Cirrus.

I love Encore tiles in general, but they are scene stealers to me and I think your counter will take second place.

• romy718
    10 years ago

One of the reasons I think a crackle with variation will work for you is because it adds more interest without stealing the show or looking like too much. You won't have the need to add that sparkly accent tile. For example, Bookworm's Cameo. It's a cream but because of the beautiful variation, it's still neutral, but gorgeous. My Silver doesn't steal the show either. It still reads as a neutral. The Sky is described as having minimum to moderate variation with varying shades of grey blue, grey lavender or rose & hints of pale green overtones. It sounds perfect & I bet it would be beautiful. But more important is how you like how it looks with your Sea Pearl & your cabinets.
    I was just curious about your Storm samples. I wondered if the two tiles you received of Storm were different colors or were they about the same color. The two tiles on the board look like two completely different colors (5th one down on the left).
    The Bali samples I have are definitely blue, more subtle blue at night but still blue.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Peke, I was going to order the 4x8 subways but my KD advised me to go with the 3x6 so I would get more color variation. More tiles, more color variation. If you need to post more pics, we love pics.

This post was edited by romy718 on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 13:45

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

please post your favorites next to the Sea Pearl, so I don't have to go back to other thread.

I think you've got the answer at home now. It may come down to a close decision.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Encore Sky.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Riviera, Bali, Riviera, Bali

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

White..... wish it was an off white.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Two more possibilities. I finally found a cream and gray. Not pretty, but will do.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Almost a champagne color. It has a slight texture under the glass. One glossy and one matte.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Same one.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Same color. Different size.

Matte on left. Glossy on right.

I think I am in love....... maybe!

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Same, but matte.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe?????

• Susan Phillips
    10 years ago

Hi Peke,
    Just wanted to say that I've been watching your backsplash threads. I'm sure you'll end up with a beautiful result. I'll be working on my backslash decision soon. I guess you've done a bit of the legwork for me. Of course, my cabinets are white, so that does change things a bit.

Again, good luck. Keep wait to see the end result.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

4x16 and

2x8 on an 8 x 16" mosaic

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oooooooooooohhhhhh!!!!!!

{{!gwi}}

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gigi, I thought you would beat me to backsplash! You probably still will. I am getting close though.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Peke, the last two posts had no pics. I have to see the "oooooohhhhh". I like both the glossy & the matte. They are so similar, with the glossy appearing slightly warmer. They both look great with your counters. Does one of them look better with the cabinets? Glad to hear you are falling in love.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops. Just a farther away picture. I think one these will be my tile, but I am leaning toward this glass tile. I think I can paint the wall in a blue green color with this tile.

Decision on Monday! Now to choose a paint color... again.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plus I have to decide if I am putting stainless steel behind my BS rangetop. So easy to clean....

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Previous pictures of the new tiles were taken in the afternoon. These new pictures taken after dark. The tile colors usually change a lot.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Color still works at night.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Matte at night.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really like this one. 4x16 tiles.

Can I use both????? please, please, please?????

• ktj459
    10 years ago

I have even watching your threads and didn't think anything did your beautiful counters justice until that matte tile. That is gorgeous! And with a blue grey wall, it will be so beautiful. What is the brand and color of that tile?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I think the glass helps keep the translucent feel of the countertop. I don't like the texture though--it might look like clear tiles over orange peel walls, which we have and I hate. The texture in the matte is much subtler.

Do you think SS is easy to clean behind the range? I have no experience with it, but I have a chimney hood that I find very hard to clean, and that's only dust I'm dealing with, not grease. I have to lean way in to get at it while wiping in one direction. I never feel that I get it really clean. I don't have any problem with the rest of my SS.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I have to agree with may_flowers about the textured tile on the left. The tile on the right, I really like.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Don't like the orange peel. Love the color and the glass with the counter, though.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I really love the shape and color of the ones you posted Fri Mar 21, 14 at 19:13 and again at night. Especially the matte, which I think harmonizes with the sea pearl and makes we want to touch them both. SO happy for you and glad you've kept searching and updating the forum!

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, the matte is my favorite too. The clear one is just so shiny!!

What about the sizes?

2x8 or 4x16????

Stainless steel?

I saw a kitchen online today that had tile behind the rangetop, but they had leaned a stainless steel mural against the tile. When it gets dirty, remove it and wash it. Genius! Tile always stays clean. I might do this if I can find stainless that I like.

• Jbrig
    10 years ago

Peke, to help you visualize your options, maybe you could make a bunch of paper cutouts and do a mockup of a few rows of each size...

Still looking forward to to seeing what you end up with!

• themaid
    10 years ago

Peke, i have been watching your struggle and i am going thru the same torment w my backsplash. i haven't offered any opinions since i have lost my confidence. made countless changes in my kitchen after the work was done. i have a question, someone on this thread mentioned the BACKSPLASH PROGRAM. could someone please direct me to this? Love your kitchen and can't wait to see the end result!

• msrose
    10 years ago

Do we have a decision yet? :)

• huntingforgrout
    10 years ago

If you are using a matte glass, learn from my mistake and do NOT use a latex grout even if your installer says they are stain proof. The latex doesn't wipe off the frosted surface of the glass. It leaves a thin film of gunk that takes harsh chemicals to remove. I'm sure latex grout is great on glazed tiles, on the open texture of matte glass, no.

• TamaraTomNC
    10 years ago

Peke, what is that gorgeous countertop?

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ktj459, Alys Edwards tiles, Man About You collection, Peak My Interest is the color name.

Jbrig, that's a good idea. I will post pictures since I can't make decisions about this kind of stuff.

The maid, I need a 12 step program for sure. This has driven me crazy.

Huntingforgrout, thank you. I will remember.

Tamara, the counter is called "pain in the ___to match". Otherwise known as Sea Pearl.

Once I decide about the stainless steel I will order the Peak My Interest matte. Not sure of the size yet.
    Finally!!!!

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The price of the Alys Edwards tile is $27.00 sf at the place I got the samples. I found another place in town that sells it for $17.00 sf. That's a big price difference.

• msrose
    10 years ago

Any updates? I keep thinking you're going to post any day with a "completed backsplash" post :)

• romy718
    10 years ago

I've been wondering too Peke. Did you get your issue with the stainless behind the range resolved?

• Peke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

UPDATE... I have been taking care of my dad who had dementia so remodeling ground to a halt.

I still don't know whether or not to put stainless steel behind my range top. My vent hood is 3" from the wall so I have that gap to deal with if I don't put a piece of stainless steel there. If I put only a tile backsplash, what do I do with the gap from pulling the hood out from the wall?

Would I regret glass tile and cleaning all that grout? I even thought about putting tile instead of SS, then adding a piece of clear glass over the tile/grout behind the range top to make it easy to clean. I am not sure if glass can take the heat there.

I can't figure out what to do so I do nothing.

Thanks for any advice.