Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

Air gaps - does your area require one?

needsometips08
14 years ago

I am so sad and mad right now that our stinkin state follows the UPC (United Plumbing Code) instead of the IRC that many (most?) other states follow. My hours of research are basically stating that in the UPC you have to have an air gap period. No ifs, ands, or buts. Very clear language. No exceptions.

I am calling our inspector tomorrow to confirm, but I am 99% sure there are no exceptions allowed. From what I understand CA is another state that is absolute in the air gap requirement.

So it looks like a hole will have to be cut in my granite to allow for this monstrocity.

How many other people here have to deal with this? How did you come to grips with it?

Do you think it's going to ruin the entire look of the sink area? I HATED that thing in the old kitchen. Plus it collected muck and gunk.

I am half tempted to change it out after the final inspection happens by installing under the counter like most of the rest of the USA and putting a soap dispenser in it's place except then I'd have to either get a new faucet or have 2 soap dispensers since my faucet handle and sprayer are all part of the faucet and I had them drill 2 holes already at that sink.

I am so glad to be going the inspection route, but this is really peaving me. If it's good enough for most of the rest of the US, it should be good for WA state too!

Forgive my rant, I am just so bummed.

Comments (11)

• plllog
    14 years ago

Needs, did you see my cute

in my sink picture? It's a Blanco. I figured if I had to have one, I could get a good looking one.

There are all kinds of beautiful things you could sculpt onto an airgap. Or etch it. Or get one of those airgaps that has a soap dispenser on top.

If you get a pretty one to match your faucet set it won't make your sink ugly. And if you pull it off and clean it every now and then it won't be gunky.

It'll be fine!

• davidro1
    14 years ago

Here is an idea to work on. The principle of an air gap is to ensure the level (height above floor) positioning of the indirect drain is at a level higher than the sink rim, but nothing says it must be on your counter or near your sink. I have space behind my wall oven. If I wanted to, I could put it there. To learn more about all this, search on "indirect drain" / standpipe. Things that pump need an indirect drain. Basement sump pumps, washing machines, dishwashers, etc. Standpipes gurgle, and I've been thinking about ways to minimize gurgling noises. No big solution to report. I've even found devices that pipe the gurgling noise outdoors (!).

• vpierce
    14 years ago

Our dishwasher is on an outside wall and the plumber just drilled a hole in the wall and ran the air gap outside. P.S. We're in Seattle....

• skoo
    14 years ago

Do call your inspector and ask. I'm in Piedmont, CA (near Oakland), and our inspector said that air gaps are required on all dishwashers EXCEPT all Miele models. Lucky for us we were going with Miele, so we were able to go without the air gap.

• overlyoptimistic
    14 years ago

In the same boat with Skoo, although we live across the Bay. Our inspectors required an air gap, and after a short discussion they agreed that Bosch and Miele meet there requirements. That said, we passed final with plywood counters; I hadn't made the concrete counters yet. So you could always install plywood until you pass final.

• mom1993
    14 years ago

they probably won't believe plywood - but laminate counters are pretty cheap, you could install the laminate with the faucet than have the granite put in later (said by a person who installs the fluorescent light required by code then switches them out...)

• davidro1
    14 years ago

I think I'm reading that it seems that sometimes DW's with "anti-backflow" valves can get an exemption. If so, there are more makes than the two named above.

• weissman
    14 years ago

Put the air gap in where you're planning to put your soap dispenser and then swap it out. No need to cut another hole.

• needsometips08
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We just may have an option! We are in the Seattle suburbs and our DW is on an outside wall. Not only that, but we bumped our window out 6" so we could easily run it to the outside wall just under the window where it would barely be noticed.

I am going to run that by the inspector tomorrow. I wasn't home enough today to call. If this doesn't fly then I will have to look at the other options suggested.

Thanks for that tip.

• pew1
    14 years ago

Not a requirement in our area. Had it been, it would have become a soap dispenser after the inspection!