Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie94062

Finished!(?) Typhoon Bordeaux/Dark Cherry Cabinets

julie94062
14 years ago

All the construction is done...just need a new kitchen table and chairs (the 80s golden oak table doesn't quite work, lol) and miscellaneous furniture/decor. But, I'm taking a break from decisions, so that may be awhile!

Thanks so, so much to all of you for the incredible amount of information. We used a local architect whose company also builds. Although at times, I wish I'd had a KD, because of GW I was able to get the plan I wanted. The GC was incredible and took care of everything. I'm still amazed. He had said it would take 5 weeks and apologized profusely when it took 6 weeks, 3 days. I had thought "Yeah, sure, it will probably be double that" :-) so I'm still floored that everything was basically on schedule.

The old kitchen was more cozy, according to DS 17. I tend to agree. The new one still needs some things to warm it up. That will happen, but I've decided not to stress about it. All in all, it came out great and works well for us. The best part is that it works with the rest of the house and doesn't look "too new" or different. Very important in a "70s" house where you can't do all the updates at once :-)

Again, thanks, thanks, thanks, GWers!!!

Details:

Granite: Typhoon Bordeaux with Crescent Edge

Backsplash: Carmel Stone Imports Light Travertine "Time

Worn" Series, 3"x6" subways

Cabinets: Local Custom, Cherry with Medium Brown

Walnut Stain

Cabinet Hardware: Restoration Hardware Ephram Pulls

4" everywhere except 6" on the pantry

and 36" drawers below cooktop

Floor: Patina Relics Walnut Antique Engineered

Wood (Existing)

Sink: Blanco Stellar 1-3/4 Stainless 441023

Faucet: Rohl de Lux Pull-Out R3810STN Satin Nickel

Air Gap: Rohl AG600 Satin Nickel

Soap Dispenser: Rohl LS750 L Satin Nickel

Air Switch: Insinkerator

Instant Hot/Cold: Insinkerator F-HC1100 Contemporary

Satin Nickel (faucet only) Insinkerator SST-FLTR (Tank and Filter)

Garbage Disposal: Insinkerator Pro Essential

Bar Faucet: Belle Foret N26001 ORB

Bar Sink: Belle Foret C5KIT ORB

Refrigerator: KitchenAid French Door KFCS22EVMS

Dishwasher: KitchenAid KUDS40FVSS

Trash Compactor: KitchenAid KUCS03FTSS

27" Microwave/Single Oven Combo: KitchenAid KEMS378SSS

27" Warming Drawer: KitchenAid KEWS175SSS

36" Gas Cooktop: Viking VGSU1636BSS

Downdraft: Thermador UCVM36FS (with 600 cfm Inline

Blower VT1610D)

Recessed Lighting: Elco 5" EL51CA IC Housing with white

baffle/trim

Under/Over Cabinet Fluorescent Lighting: (can't find the brand)

Bar: Xenon puck lights in and under cabinet (can't find the brand)

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

No "Before" for the wet bar, but picture your basic 70s bifold doors, mirrored back, glass shelves, and red tile.

After:

Here's the slideshow: Here's the Slideshow

Comments (52)

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You and the cat must be so pleased! Wonderful job.
    Lisa

• theanimala
    14 years ago

Just beautiful! I love your Typhoon Bordeaux and how it looks on the dark cabinets. Looks like a totally different space (which it should), enjoy and congrats!

• country_smile
    14 years ago

Well done! I like how you opened up the kitchen to the LR. Good choice with the light granite to go with the dark cherry cabinets. Do you have photos that show behind the cooktop?

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Very nice application - you and "kitty" both have way good taste!!!

Beautiful!!!!

kevin

• thankurnmo
    14 years ago

Wow. That looks fantastic. You must be over the moon thrilled!!
    (and can I ask about your sectional? from the little I see... looks very nice as well...details?)

• jama123
    14 years ago

Your choices fit so well with your house - nice job!

• pam2007
    14 years ago

Very nice job. Love the granite.

• dfzmom
    14 years ago

This looks great! Everything ties in nicely with the style of your home.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Lovely. Reminds me of my own kitchen great room which also isn't snug and cozy but is spacious and relaxing.

A coordinating tablecloth over the oak table would be an easy and quick solution. Might even be better than more dark wood.

• fleur222
    14 years ago

Your kitchen seamlessly works with the rest of your home now! You must be loving how open the flow is to the other rooms. The dark cherry wood is sooo rich looking!! Congratulations!

• smiling
    14 years ago

What a beautiful job you did! It looks so much better with that wall down. The whole look is sleek and still inviting, it's like the house grew up a few decades. It's wonderful that you did all that in just six weeks, too.
    Cute kitty!

• megradek
    14 years ago

looks like a great, beautiful space. I can't believe you did so much so quickly!! your kitty is so cute - it looks like he purposely jumped into each of the pictures :) and don't feel bad about the kitchen table. I've been done almost a year and we are still eating on our formica faux wood table...the hunt continues!

• plumberry
    14 years ago

Fabulous kitchen. You did a wonderful job organizing and layout and your finish choices are stunning.

• crazyhouse6
    14 years ago

Wow!!! Gorgeous space. Very rich and warm looking. Enjoy!

• tootiepugsmom
    14 years ago

WOW!!!! AMAZING!! And that FLOOR!! TO DIE FOR!!! The whole thing is just fantastic!! (And this coming from a huge white kitchen fan!) Haha!!

• julie94062
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your kind comments!

Country_smile...the "after" photos above show the island with the downdraft down. There's nothing behind it. Is that what you meant? Let me know if it's not...

Sheilaaus122...the sectional is at least 5 years old (from Macy's), so I don't have any current info. I think I designed the kitchen around that darn thing (colorwise) since I knew it wouldn't be replaced anytime soon.
    It's a chenille fabric and doesn't show any dirt, so it's great for a family room with lots of spills :-)

Riverspots..."spacious and relaxing" is good! I agree that there's getting to be too much dark wood...another reason I didn't want to rush on the table. I wanted to lighten up the space, but with the existing wood floor it was tough to find a cabinet color that worked. Plus the whole house has dark wood, including all the doors. Good idea about the tablecloth. Thanks.

Mairin...Ha! at least no one would think we just picked out these tables to go with the new kitchens! They're pretty obvious :-)

Thanks again, everyone!

• malhgold
    14 years ago

What a terrific reno! Love the dark cabs, the stainless and the floors. Doesn't at all look like a "70's" house. Congratulations and enjoy!!

• gillylily
    14 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen!! LOVE your typhoon bordeaux (although I am biased-I have it on my island)!!! It IS Spacious & Relaxing!!! Enjoy it!

• country_smile
    14 years ago

julie - in the before photos it shows cabinets along the window side of the room with cabinets and a sink. I was interested in seeing more of that wall in the after pictures to see what is different there. (i.e. did you keep your previous sink? Do you have a new faucet?) You know, just curious. :)

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

What a wonderful transformation! I love your granite, dark cabinets and floor. Everything looks so rich! And taking down that wall really opens everything up. Can I see a picture of your main sink area?

• lovetoshop
    14 years ago

love it! Where are your counterstools from?
    Thanks!

• nkkp
    14 years ago

Beautiful!! I love you cabinets and granite! Of course, I too am biased as I have cherry cabinets and just plunked down the money for typhoon bordeaux counters! Thanks for sharing!

• amberley
    14 years ago

The floor is gorgeous! I also love the bar area, and how OPEN everything is. My MIL is getting the same granite, and I can't wait to show her your pics! Great before and after pics!

Great job!

• jenellecal
    14 years ago

so pretty

• zeebee
    14 years ago

Beautiful job. Your cabinets and granite look flawless, truly craftsman-like fabrication and installation. I like the house-proud kitty in the pictures too!

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Beautiful! So warm and quietly elegant. Congratulations (and kitty seems to appreciate the new kitchen)!

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

Nicely done! So many great choices. I'm grooving (a fitting word choice for a '70s kitchen remodel) on your bar area. It must feel so good to have a new kitchen. But seriously, did you have to get rid of that period-perfect brick island? LOL Good riddance to it and the '70s era planter area (gotta wonder about the thinking behind that idea).

Where did you move the light switches that were on the wall you took down?

Love that kitty is a spot-light grabber. ;-)

I swear we have the same kitchen table and chai rs. Ours will go when we redo our kitchen, too.

country_smile, if you view the slide show, you can see more of the sink wall.

• rjr220
    14 years ago

What a transformation! You've done such a lovely job of coordinating everything -- if you ever wondered WILG (thanks to Johnliu, the newest acronym for will it look good?), the answer is a definitive YES!

It is warm and cozy and inviting. So lovely.

And your cat . . . . that little camera shy feline. She is a hoot!

• keptoz
    14 years ago

Very very nice job! I love how open everything is now. The entire room is beautiful - love the big arched windows. I think the updated kitchen really helps showcase the beauty in the architecture.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Julie: It's beautiful! I especially love the way that you incorporated the rounded corner for the island and the darker wood to match the family room. It is totally seamless looking--what everyone hopes for.

Where is your sink?--would love to see that for inspiration too!

• squigs
    14 years ago

I think it's very warm and open and that you did a beautiful job. It's also very nice of kitty to let you live there :)

• julie94062
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi! Sorry for the delay in answering. We had an unexpected (but welcome) houseguest yesterday who just now left.

Anyway, thanks for the wonderful comments. Although I can't respond to each and every one, I'm very thankful!

To answer some of the questions...

love to shop: The stools are Pottery Barn Aaron Barstools
    in mahogany. They are very sturdy and look great, BUT the wood on the seats is a bit soft so there are a lot of scratches, gouges. Of course it doesn't help that most jeans/pants have some kind of rivet or metal on them. If you want to see, I'll take a pic. They really are nice chairs, though, in spite of that. Amazingly, the chair pads aren't available in the stores and they were back ordered online, so I never got them.

country_smile: Nothing is left from the old kitchen. We took everything out (see the "during" pics in the Slideshow ), so the sink, faucet, etc. are all new. The old sink was a double white porcelain with a white faucet. The new sink is a stainless 1 3/4 with a satin nickel faucet.

Bostonpam and country_smile and Firsthouse_mp: More pics below to show the sink wall. (BTW, bostonpam, I'm dying to see your red range. Did you get it yet?...) Firsthouse, what sink are you getting?

Old wall to left of sink:

Old wall to right of sink:

New wall to left of sink:

New wall to right of sink:

Lisa_a: The light switches were for 1) the kitchen lights
    2) light over kitchen table. #1 is now for the recessed lights in just the kitchen and is located on the right wall where you walk into the kitchen (between the bar and oven). #2 (for the two recessed lights over the kitchen table) is located at the far right end of the sink wall (under the open shelves, close to kitchen table).
    LOL, don't worry, there's still some of that brick around the fireplace in the family room (to the left of the bar). I wanted to do something with that whole wall, but with the budget, I was lucky to get the bar done!

Thanks again, everyone!!

• teresa518
    14 years ago

It's gorgeous. I love the Typhoon Bordeaux and the dark cabs.

Love how the cat makes an appearance in most pics. I have that problem too.

Your changes really opened up the space but as you said, it doesn't look out of place at all. It can be a challenge to have to update a few rooms at a time and make it all come together but you have done a wonderful job. I can't believe the difference it made to take down that small length of wall.

Great job. Enjoy....

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

Wowee! I love it too (and I also am a huge white kitchen fan). The lighter granite looks divine with the dark cabinetry and stainless appliances. I actually didn't even notice your oak table, the rest of the kitchen was so stunning. Really well done.

Love that your cat is such a ham for the camera!

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Ooh, that is just gorgeous! Love those dark rich cabs and that yummy floor! It is just so warm and rich!

And I adore your kitty! What a beautiful kitty-cat to go with your lovely kitchen!

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Wow, wow, wow! Just gorgeous!

We have a little cousin to your kitty, except ours is 50/50 grey & white with the beautiful gold eyes.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Julie, I just love your Typhoon Bordeaux Granite with Crescent Edge! Since I am wanting to either get new doors for my cabinets or stain my cabinets a little bit darker, I am going to see how a sample of this granite looks with my cabinets. I love the Crescent Edge! Your kitty is so adorable.

Now I am wondering if I should not do tile in the kitchen and continue my wood floor into the kitchen.

• julie94062
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lynn, thanks! We've had wood in the kitchen for about 5 years with no problems. We kept the same wood for the remodel. But tile looks great, too. I don't think you can go wrong either way!

• kittenkat_2002
    14 years ago

Julie, Love your kitchen! How do you like the kitchen aid unit?

• julie94062
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kittenkat, do you mean the microwave/single oven unit? I do like it, but I put it just a bit too high (to make room for the separate warming drawer and cabinet drawer beneath). I should have had it about 4" lower.

Right now when the microwave door is pulled down (open), it's about chest height for me. Makes it a little awkward to bring your arm up and around to put something in without hitting the outer edge of the door. BUT, like anything, you get used to it :-)

The oven and microwave work really well, cook really well, so no problems there!

• autumngal
    14 years ago

Wow! I love your kitchen- it's fantastic, an amazing job. Love your choices, your new space, everything about it- your kitty seems to like it as well!

• jterrilynn
    14 years ago

Love it and your whole house...and your little cat too!

• starpooh
    13 years ago

Hi Julie -
    Are you ready for your kitchen to be archived in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    You can either email me with permission (starpooh@gmail.com) or indicate your permission in this posting.
    Then, at a later time, please submit the FKB Category Checklist so I can easily categorize your kitchen.
    Thanks!

• julie94062
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My dear Starpooh (who has done so much for us!), Yes, I'm ready for the FKB and give permission. But first let me apologize for being so tardy! Should I also post it in the gallery? I was a little confused about that. I'll do the FKB checklist Monday.

Thank you so much for organizing the FKB! Such a great resource and many, many hours of work on your part, I'm sure. I'm sorry you had to remind me!!

Thanks!
    Julie

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Nice job...very classy looking and blends in very well with your family room. Wonderful use of space and kitty. :-)

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

I don't think you can hear it too often...Your kitchen looks really great. I especially love the way the dark cabinets look with your granite. And your cat is beautiful and coordinates very well with your kitchen!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is really beautiful! Love the way you have opened up the space while keeping it classy, warm and intimate. In many ways, it is more "cozy" than the enclosed space you had before. And the new wet bar is a perfect bridge between the family room/cooking spaces. A verrry nice job and especially nice kitty! Congratulations!

• julie94062
    Original Author
    13 years ago

vampiressrn, kitchenaddict, & marthavila...Thanks! I think after 7 months, I'm finally getting used to it :-)

• starpooh
    13 years ago

Hi Julie -
    There's no need to repost in the Gallery section. You have included all the info I need in this post.
    But the FKB Checklist would be very helpful. No big hurry on that... but usually the earlier the better so we both don't forget.
    ~ starpooh

• Alden919
    13 years ago

The kichen looks wonderful!Love the Typhoon Bordeaux and design decisions! Beautiful!Thank you everyone on garden web for posting your pictures.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area