Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kitchen cabinet color

Posted by kimmiej (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 1:26

Hi!

I need advice on cabinet color and style in my open floor plan kitchen / family room. We have a large dark maple entertainment center in the family room, but I am considering white cabinets in my adjacent kitchen. Is there a design "rule" to follow when trying to coordinate and create flow on an open floor plan? I think the white cabinets would make my small kitchen brighter and bigger feeling. Your opinions and advice is greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kitchen cabinet color

I am planning to do the exact same thing. Our layout is open, my dining room has dark wood furniture and my living room lightly stained wood. My small kitchen looks very much like yours. Right now it has dark cabinets and it feels like a cave. I think white cabinets will brighten the space up and make it feel more spacious. I tried to find a stain I liked, but with so much cabinets in one place (we are taking advantage of every inch) I fear it would look like a cabin. And I love white kitchens! I am not planning to go super white though. I think I'll pick an off-white color for the cabinets and bring in color with the countertops and backsplash.
It will be interesting to see what others say about this. I am certainly no design expert, just wanted to share with you that I'm thinking of the same thing. I have worried that a white kitchen won't go with the rest of the furniture, but then I thought maybe I shouldn't match a kitchen that will be there for 20 years with furniture that can be replaced. So if the livingroom doesn't seem to go with my new kitchen then I'll change the look of my living room (once my bank account has recovered from the kitchen reno lol).
Good luck with everything!

o
RE: kitchen cabinet color

I think it's nice to have some contrast and delineation between rooms even if they open on to each other.

Your kitchen will look spectacular in white! Good luck with your project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here