Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have the Zephyr Arc Layers, Venezia, Modena Wall hood?

Posted by JAM_SF (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 1:21

Have crossed posted this on Appliances forum but not seeming to get much feedback...
Would love to hear if anyone has installed a Zephyr Arc Layers, Modena Wall or Venezia Wall over a AG 36" range (or rangetop). I would never use all 6 burners at once, maybe 3 max.
Any feedback on effectiveness, cleanability of filters and noise would be much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have the Zephyr Arc Layers, Venezia, Modena Wall hood?

I don't have experience with any of those hoods. I just looked them up online. I will just address the design. All 3 are the flat design, rather than a canopy style. If you really love the looks of the flat design, go for it, but be aware that the physics of a canopy-style hood make it a better design to capture smoke and grease. So that's a decision for you - aesthetic vs. function. Though canopy-style hoods are attractive too.

All 3 hoods you've listed have mesh filters. Mesh filters tend to clog quickly with grease, cutting down on efficiency. But if you wash the mesh filters frequently, this will not be a problem. Baffle filters do not have this issue, but hoods with baffle filters tend to be more expensive, and are usually not available in the flat hood design.

As to noise, you should make sure your ductwork is the appropriate diameter. If it is too small, your hood will be noisy, regardless of the brand, or how much it cost. It looks like the Arc needs a 6" diameter duct, and the Venezia and Modena need an 8" diameter duct.

o

I have had a layers arc zepher island exhaust for a year.. the wall version may work better then the island does. I have it over a 36" bluestar range top and it does not have enough capture space- only 2 screens. It is also loud even with an outside blower.
I love the look and get lots of compliments, but it catches a lot of grease splatter and needs frequent cleaning. Good luck to you,
curleyjo

o

We've had the 36" Venezia over a 30" gas range for over a year and are quite happy with it. Small kitchen with a wall 9" to the right of the hood. Vented directly outside. We do a lot of "fragrant" cooking and it takes care of everything. Filters are washed every two to three weeks by hand, but they could go in DW. Not a silent machine by any means, especially in the higher levels, but wasn't expecting it to be. Overall I'm happy with it. HTH

o

Thanks so much! I was considering the Tempest I as well, but really wanted a wall hood vs an under cabinet hood. I do like the flat style for a wall hood (or slim profile really), I guess that is a trade off with that design.
Is there another flat bottomed slim profile wall hood that I haven't thought of?
Or Anyone have the tempest I?

o

I have had the Venezia hood installed for 2 years now. Mine is a 30" over a 30" DF Wolf range. It functions well and I love the lighting it provides. My counters on the range run are 28 1/2" deep so I wanted a deeper hood. My kitchen is part of a great room set-up and I have seating at the island across the aisle.

I have no problem with the mesh filters and I too thought I would prefer baffles. They pop in and out easily and are easy to clean. We use almost no oil and don't prepare red meat or pork in our cooking. It's mostly steam from vegetables, homemade soups, and eggs that is quickly absorbed through the hood.

My one warning about this hood is the noise produced above the level 3 setting. I use a setting above three once a year when I make potato pancakes. I generally run it at level 2 or 3. We can carry on a conversation at our island and have the hood on level 1. We can watch TV (at normal volume) across the great room at level 2. We are sitting about 16' from the hood.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase. It looks good, is well-made and the stainless is not difficult to keep dust and grime free. It functions well for our family.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here