Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris2009_gw

pull-out hidden cutting board.

chris2009
15 years ago

DO you think it would be possible to replace the 5/8" plywood that normally sits beneath the granite countertop with a 5/8" pull-out wood cutting board? The board would essentially support the granite when closed (and wouldn't be the full 24" deep - a 4" portion of the 5/8" plywood would support the granite across the back portion.

I am desperate to find a way to incorporate a pull-out, but I am getting full-overlay cabinets. Of course, the granite would also need to be notched in the front.

Does this sound too way out there?

Comments (12)

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

What you describe doesn't sound do-able.

Have you checked with your cab manufacturer to see if they offer a pull-out? Getting full overlay shouldn't be an impediment to getting the cutting board; I've seen pix of them occupying the space usually reserved for a top utensil drawer.

• sweeby
    15 years ago

We ran into a situation with our bathroom trying to get the countertop to line up perfectly with our tile wainscoting, and ended up having to put an extra sheet of 3/4" plywood on top of our vanity to make things line up. We used a solid trim piece on the edges, finished it to match the vanity, and IMO, it looks great -- not like a 'fix' at all. (Picture linked below)

What I'm suggesting is that you do this across the entire cabinet run, with the solid 'structural' sheet of plywood uncut on top doing it's normal 'support the stone' job. The layer with the pullouts would sit between your cabinet and the other layer of plywood.

Would an extra 3/4" of height cause any problems with appliances, electric, wall cabs?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• growlery
    15 years ago

You might do better having a carpenter notching one into the top of one of the drawers, if the hardware will allow it, and just laying it on top, almost like the lid on a bread drawer. You could cut a hole through for your finger to ease lifting it out, and grooves on the sides.

A bit of a pain to take it off every time you wanted something in the drawer, but if you decided it was a bad idea, at least you would have just one messed up drawer, not a whole messed up counter.

If you do anything like this, make a bunch of replacement boards at the same time, for years of cleaning and replacements.

• chris2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've played with the ones that are part of the drawer, and they are difficult to use. I think you are supposed to remove the board, aka it's really just a storage space.

I need the extension into the room to be useful. the idea of an extra piece of countertop wood all around may work out.

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

I don't have plywood between my cabinets and granite but I do have full overlay doors and a pullout cutting board. Actually I have two but one is above the microwave and is not full overlay.

My cabs are custom but the pullout is "activated" with a drawer kicker from Lee Valley Hardware. When closed it looks like part of the cabinet but you just push it in and the board pops out

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley Drawer Kicker

• budge1
    15 years ago

We also have full overlay and have a pull out cutting board. With ours when the drawer is closed, you can't see it. To use it, you open the drawer and then pull out the cutting board. The only difference from a normal pullout cutting board, is that the drawer is open underneath it, but it doesnt detract from the use at all. My major problem with it is that the drawer below loses depth and I can't put anything too tall in it. We also sometimes get crumbs in the drawer after using the cutting board.

• chris2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi loves2cook4six. So there's no plywood under your granite at all? if that's the case, then my original plan may work. the granite is just plonked down on top of the open cabinets?

• Buehl
    15 years ago

It depends on your granite thickness. If you have 3cm thick slabs you don't need the plywood underlayment. However, if your granite is 2cm, you will need the plywood.

Yes, I think you are supposed to take the cutting board out to use...i.e., you don't use it sticking out of the cabinet, you remove it & place it on your counter to use it.

I debated getting one, but decided I didn't want to have to move it to get the items below and I didn't want to give up an entire drawer for it.

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Sorry I have no wisdom about how to create a cutting board in your particular design. I have two cutting boards in 'vintage' cabinets. each is above a bread drawer. I used them often in situ because the surface is lower than countertop height. They pull out for cleaning. If I chop anything too messy I use an acrylic board on the cutting board. I don't have built-in cutting boards in the new design because my island is the height I prefer for chopping and food prep.

• datura-07
    15 years ago

I have a cutting board built into my present counter top and we are switching to granite so I will lose it, It's right next to the microwave ovens and I use it daily. I'm really upset but there isn't much I can do but set one on top of the drawer when I think I will need it.

• Fori
    15 years ago

I currently have partial overlay cabinets with a breadboard. I think the same thing would work with full overlay. The drawer front is split. The top few inches are attached to the breadboard and the remainder of the drawer face attaches to the real drawer. The board and drawer operate independently.

The doors in this kitchen all have that undercut finger pull space which full overlay won't, so you'd need a handle, but it should work.

I wouldn't do it with light colored cabinets, though. Mine are light and it looks like the drawer front is split (which of course it IS). I don't think it'd be very visible with darker cabinetry.