Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
segbrown_gw

PIggybacking on Palimpsest

segbrown
14 years ago

Yes, strange subject title, but the kitc hen dating thread made me think of this.

It isn't the best photo, but who can describe the house in which this kit chen resides?

Closeup of counter, more clues:

Comments (6)

• kompy
    14 years ago

My guess is 90's. It looks just like KraftMaid oak cabinets with the Porcelain Glaze finish. Not sure when they added 5pc drawers to oak though.

• altagirl
    14 years ago

I was going to guess mid to late 80's. It reminds me of my mother-in-law's kitchen that was finished in 1987... oak with painted tiles.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I would say the house is a rambler, probably mid-century--contemporary floor plan but with more traditional detailing. In terms of kitchen 1985-1995 thereabouts.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I have no clue but would a space that large to redo!

• plllog
    14 years ago

Describe the house... Too big?

• segbrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

House is almost 15,000 square feet, in one of THE most exclusive developments in the Palm Springs area (Bill Gates has a house there). Built in 1992. It has 12 bathrooms. On the market for about $10mil; started at $17mil, I think. Not a good time to sell, of cour se, and especially a house that needs a lot of work to fit into that price bracket. It's on a double lot on the golf c ourse, though, and the grounds are lovely.

Palimpsest is right about the more modern desert archit ecture but traditional detailing. I thought it was horrid and "dated," although I'm sure it was pretty hot 20 years ago. Not that it would ever have been my taste.... So I'm not sure if "dated" is the right word. Just a hot button word around here, ;-) Here is the main living room:

Anyway, it made me think about what people spend money on ... the cabinets were awful. I mean, they just weren't ever nice, I don't think. And the pickled or whitewashed oak isn't even what I mean. They were just kind of cheap.

The appliances were top of line, but hadn't aged similarly. Gaggenau co oktops, electric burners and gas burners both, were looking bad. The white Thermador ove ns, tiny and worn out. The paneled SubZeros, perfect condition, you could barely tell if they were new or old. The cream Miele di shwashers, looked a little dated from the outside, but were perfect on the inside (and performed wonderfully). My favorite was the big Traulsen in the scullery, but I'm not sure it was original to the house. The others were -- I think ... the dw's might have been newer, but from the outside they looked about the same age as everything else.

(Maybe that will help someone out who is trying to choose appliances and wondering what will last longer than something else.)

The floors were wood, hand scraped and also pickled or whatever it is, but patterned rather than just planked. Also seemed dated. Decor was a mishmash of Neoclassical, French Country, Dark and Masculine Clubby, Las Vegas Showgirl, and mostly just that creamy marble-y Kreiss contemporary Roman look that I was never a fan of but was in every obnoxious new house when I lived in California. (Is there a name for that style?)

Anyway, I guess it was a pretty nice kitchen for the times, as I think we've gotten more TKO in the past 20 years. The layout worked well, I will say that.