Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you use to draw your floorplans?

Posted by Texas_Gem (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 1:01

I have been trying to figure out what to use to draw a quick floor plan in order to post.

99% of the time I am reading and posting from my phone or tablet and I haven't found any quick and easy floor plan app so I lugged out my laptop.

Now I am sitting here with the same problem on my laptop. I haven't re-installed photoshop since my last computer rebuild and I am honestly lost as to what I should use.

What do you guys use when you draw up and post a floor plan?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you use to draw your floorplans?

I "draw" it up in Microsoft PowerPoint, save it as a "jpg", upload it to Photobucket, and post it here.

I recently purchased Chief Architect's Home Designer Architectural, but I haven't had the time to master it yet. I did a layout for a friend in it and it took too long - but it was my first. I'll do a few more over time and then I'll be a pro at it! :-)

o

I use the virtual designer at the Lowe's website. You can email yourself a picture that produces a shareable link. It is also nearly the exact one Ikea uses but Lowe's has additional features and does not only permit Ikea fixtures.

o

I did a lot of diagramming with good ol' fashioned graph paper & a pencil.

Then moved to MS-Power Point before finding this site. Once here, Buehl was gracious enough to provide a set of her Power Point templates. Those included electronic "graph paper", as well as various sized lower cabs, upper cabs, appliances. Super easy to cut, paste, "flip" or rotate into your space. (THANX BUEHL!!!)

I also use MS-Visio which allows a little more customization of cabinet sizes.

Lastly, the Lowes visualizer is a neat tool for generating 3D images to give you a better "feel" for space.

Whichever path you choose, make sure the image lines/text are dark enough to be useful to GWers & make sure to include dimensions of openings, aisles, etc.

HTH, tmy

o

I use excel. I select all, change column size to 2.23 (makes cols roughly equal to rows), add light grey borders and go from there. I usually use one square = 3" depending on what I'm trying to do.

o

I've tried lots of planning softwares, but alway end up back in Excel. It really is the quickest and easiest way for me to draw up basic floor plans.

o

I always hand-drew floor plans, and left it to my KD to translate them into "professional" looking drawings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here