Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

Thoughts on building your own cabinet doors

cindywhitall
11 years ago

Some of you may have noticed my many threads as I began the process of wanting to change my kitchen cabinets, but being stuck with granite in place that nobody want to risk removing and reusing. This thread is my latest realization of what I think we will do.

Have decided to keep my white kitchen, but my brother has offered to BUILD me new cabinet doors. He is very skilled at woodworking. He suggests we use poplar and make raised panel doors and paint them white. We'd have to buy a sprayer but that cost would be minimal compared to purchasing doors.

Any thoughts from someone whose gone that route of making their own? Or from someone who bought unfinished and painted them? Problems to watch out for? I'm hoping to replace the drawer glides with full extension if it can be done without removing the granite, might be hard to get in there to install. Hopefully I can put full extension pull out in the island bottom where there aren't any now. Any advice on where to get them? Only saw partial pull outs at Lowes. The last thing I hope is that he can add a horizontal stile (?) and turn one or two cabinets into drawers. That would be awesome!

I have a slate look tile floor and blue sapphire granite that to me comes off as almost black when you see it against the white. My family room which is mostly open to the kitchen is painted in Toasted Wheat (or something toasted). We have a metal kitchen table, sort of stainless but more grey with a glass top. The glass top keeps it feeling open and lets you see the tile. I don't want to go "country" so I'm looking for tips on what sort of door profile (arches, square, raised or recessed or shaker). Don't shaker doors read "country"? Would a glaze of brown or black be good? Our old backsplash and walls are blue. We will change them so I might start a new post looking for backsplash ideas.

Comments (2)