Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

Walk in pantry door size

Texas_Gem
10 years ago

Hi, I'm a first time poster but a long time lurker. Your forums have been invaluable to me over the last 8 months while I have been remodeling my kitchen. Thank you!!

I am getting ready to frame up my walk in pantry. It will be 9ft by 6 ft and I will have an extra refrigerator located inside. I am considering putting in a 36 inch door. My reasoning is this is the house I will live in for the rest of my life and even if I reach a point where I need a walker or wheelchair, I will still be able to access my pantry. My father who is helping us with the remodel thinks we don't need a door that large.

I guess my question is does a 36 inch door seem crazy or entirely reasonable?

Comments (7)

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

28" is acceptible an 32" is generous.

• nightowlrn
    10 years ago

A wide walker is around 28-30 inches at the base. Walkers have those nifty baskets, so going in and out of your pantry using a walker would be fine with a 32 inch opening. Standard wheelchair width is 28 inches - so a 32 inch opening should be fine, but you won't have enough width to turn around, so consider if you would ever go in with a wheelchair.

We are planning for similar needs. We are making our bedroom, bathroom, shower, back door, and mud room 36 inches so someone pushing us along and turning corners has ample room. The pantry and other non-essential room doors will be 32.

• illinigirl
    10 years ago

We are putting a 32" door to our walk in pantry. My fridge will also be in there, it's just under 29" wide. I added a dedicated circuit for the fridge. My pantry is 10x10, with two closets cutting into it so it's not perfect square shape.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

A full sized fridge will need 36" door to be able to install/replace it.

I'm surprised GauchoGordo said 28" is fine - my builder refused to make my 36" wide pantry any deeper than 24" b/c he said the 30" door wasn't wide enough. Though he put in a 36" x 37" linen closet with a 24" door at the end of my tub! And would have made the 24" wide linen closet in the hallway that deep too if I hadn't insisted that he use the space between that and the tub/shower in the hall bath for a hamper alcove.

The pantry backs up to a 54"x37" coat closet - so should I make the pantry a foot deeper, take the space out of the coat closet (that's so deep I store my vacuum in there, in front of the coats)? Might have to move the coat closet door a couple of inches to get the full foot though. Other than redoing the tile floors (which need to be re-set anyway, long story) in the 2 closets, I think it's a pretty simple matter of taking out the drywall, 1 stud, moving that stud a foot, and 1 sheet (4x8) of new drywall?

Is it worth it to gain a foot in depth in the pantry? I hate the 16" deep wire shelves in there (and the linen closets) now, was thinking that a 3ft deep pantry would allow me to put 18" deep wooden shelves along the back, 3ft width would allow for 8" deep x 18" long wooden shelves (for small cans/jars) along each side, or maybe 12"x 18" shelves on the hinge side and nothing on the other (except maybe griddle in box, large cooling rack I have shoved into the middle under the shelves now - rack can even be hung on the wall)? Be easier to get at smaller items with shallow shelving to the side, rather than digging things out from deeper shelves?

• Texas_Gem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will stick with the 36 door. There is already duct work in there.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

I have a 36" door and have never thought twice about it.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional