Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vitamins_gw

My cabinets were delivered today, but.... UPDATE

vitamins
13 years ago

Some of you may remember the saga a little over a month ago about my cabinets being delivered and having particle board boxes (instead of plywood as specified in my contract and emphasized by me to the KD several times). A link to the discussion is below. I appreciated all of the support I received in my decision to have the cabinets re-done in the manner called for in our contract. Obviously this set the project back a bit, but the new cabinets were installed last week (except for the toe-kicks and a few of the doors) and the floors were finished this week.

Things are looking great and I am really glad I stood firm and insisted upon the plywood we had contracted for. Now if I could only figure out how to post pictures! :>)

Maybe this will work:

https://picasaweb.google.com/pippenfree/KitchenProgress?authkey=Gv1sRgCMDM85WKiJ2HzAE#5579740888942206338

https://picasaweb.google.com/pippenfree/KitchenProgress?authkey=Gv1sRgCMDM85WKiJ2HzAE#5579740895793511618

Anyway, thanks for being there! You've all been very helpful in this process

Here is a link that might be useful: Particle Board cabinets

Comments (16)

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Those cabinets are beautiful and they deserve to be made to your specifications. When we were doing our renos - my mantra to myself when faced with arguing about something with someone was - My money, my reno, my way. It may seem b****y but that wasn't my worry.

• xc60
    13 years ago

Gorgeous cabinets and I am so happy all turned out well for you.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

woo hoo vitamins!!!

• ironcook
    13 years ago

i am so happy for you!!! they look great! love the arts and crafts pegs (oh, is that what they're called?!) and your crown molding! it's going to be gorgeous!!! you done good, girl! :)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Congratulations on great cabs and on sticking to your guns. You'll be so much happier in the long run that you got what you wanted

Blfenton--I'm stealing your mantra for my reno! Love it!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hooray!!!they look awesome and you did it. You stood firm
    and got what you wanted. Every time you use your cabinets
    you are going to remember how much you love them.
    ~boxer

• sayde
    13 years ago

Congratulations! From where I sit (so far away and not having to deal with it) it seems like it got resolved rather quickly, and now will be the way they're supposed to be, forever! And you will always be happy that you got what you wanted and paid for. They look wonderful!

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

beautiful, so glad you held out and got what you ordered. i had a similar thing happen with livingroom furniture. i had ordered a couch and two chairs and the designer who wrote up the order did the exact same thing - my contract was written right but he screwed up the order to the factory by specifying the wrong fabric for the chairs (was close but not exact color i ordered). they were delivered, we unwrapped while delivery person waited and i discovered it right away. they went back on the truck same day. was a major pain to wait another 8 weeks until they arrived but now i love them and of course the wait is but a distant memory...

• yellowdog2
    13 years ago

Good for you! I can only imagine how hard and stressful that must've been. You did it and they look amazing!! Proud of you!!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Congratulations and good for you. Those are some fine looking cabs!! Enjoy the rest of your remodel. Can't wait to see the finished kitchen and so glad you had a positive outcome with that saga.

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

So happy for you...cabinets are breathtaking !!!!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Those cabs are beautiful! Can't wait to see the full reveal ;)

Last week, the carpenters installed our island venthood and all was well until I realized that the island had not been placed in its final spot yet and less of an issue is that they installed it too low (easily fixable). When the electricians were at my house, I explained the vent placement dilemma and he said that it could be a problem because of how the beams ran and that they may need to open the ceiling and re-support something or other in the process. He called it a big problem and seemed to insinuate that I may have to live with the island in the wrong place. I calmly told him that that is the gc's problem and not my concern. I know he looked at me like I am a real be-atch, but wth... I contracted for my kitchen to be laid out as planned and there are concrete reasons my island has to move (approx 3" to the side and 3" back). The gc had been there when they installed the hood and so it is his issue to work out. BTW - I already painted the ceiling there, so while he assured me a while ago that they "never" paint, well, they will be spackling and repainting what they mess up. I have done enough work and my to do list is still long, so they need to clean up their mess on this one too.
    Maybe I am cranky and tired of mistakes or issues in general, but, darn it, if I had wanted an amateur installation, we could have done that ourselves and saved a bundle.

• vitamins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes. And a special thank you to ironcook for imbedding my pictures for me. I really need to learn how to do that before I submit pictures when they install the granite (due to be installed at the end of this week).

Yes, it did get resolved rather quickly (though not until after the installation of the original cabinets was almost done) and only delayed the cabinet installation about three weeks and delayed the scheduled date of completion only about two weeks. That, of course, remains to be seen.

• prill
    13 years ago

Wow - beautiful cabinets. I'm saving pictures of them - they're exactly what I would get if I ever get to have new cabinets. I can't wait to see more.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Thanks for the follow-up! It's so great to see such a lovely resolution.

• vitamins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another follow-up. My granite is to be delivered today!! It wasn't to be installed until Thursday, but the schedule changed. Wouldn't you know I have a full slate of appointments at work today, so I don't know if I can be here to see any of the installation. (I had kept my calendar free on Thursday morning.) I did call my 10:00 appointment and re-scheduled it to 10:45 so perhaps I can at least get a glimpse of it. Pictures later.