Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting underneath top cabinets

Posted by LeslieA0511 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 0:52

Hello all! We're into year two of a very slow kitchen remodel - doing it all ourselves, finally finished laying a bamboo floor in the now open concept living/dining/kitchen. Looks spectacular!

I am currently painting the kitchen cabinets, but am wondering about painting the underneath part of the top cabinets. Do people do that? Am I just being OCD? I was sitting on the kitchen floor painting the bottom cabinets and noticed the underneath on the top cabinets looked goofy, but honestly you don't see it standing in the kitchen. Just wondering what everyone else does.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Adora Cora Remodel Blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting underneath top cabinets

I painted the underside of mine.

o

I sealed the underside of mine with poly but I didn't bother staining them.

Of course I have never sat on the floor looking up at my cabinets. I'm sure my young children see it all the time but they haven't said anything about it...thankfully. :)

o

I've linked a thread of mine from a while ago with lots of good advice. I decided to paint rather than do something more difficult and expensive. It worked out nicely. Covering the UCL wires improved the look a lot too.

Before:
cabinetbottom photo cabinetbottom.jpg

After (backsplash unfinished):
 photo IMG_3457_zps9b339da3.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Ugly bottom

o

Thanks for the replies! I'm enjoying the other threads comments too.

o

4amblues, can you share what you used to cover your UCL wires? That looks great!

o

Just a basic cord cover kit from HD, scrappy. I did have to cut off the connectors and a bit of the insulation from the wires in order to twist them together and wrap with electrical tape. (Ack, am I going to be chastised for code violations? My electrical engineer DH said it wouldn't burn the house down.) Otherwise the wires wouldn't have fit into the channels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cord cover kit

o

I think that those little finishing touches make a big difference. If you have any seating in your kitchen area, the undersides will be visible. It always bugged me that my old upper cab undersides didn't match the rest. A painted surface is also easier to clean and freshen up - especially if you get "upsplash" like I do :/ .

Fouramblues, your kitchen is really lovely, and your cabinet undersides are too :)

o

We were going through the same dilemma a few days ago. We have a eating area in the kitchen and the bottom of the cabinets is quite visible and I wanted a more finished look. So my KD ordered panels for the bottoms. and then our contractor will cut circles in it to be able to recess puck like lights in those panels. But that means we have to have the wiring changed from regular voltage to low voltage!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here