Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanem_gw

Finished Modern Kitchen

tanem
13 years ago

This is a new build and the cabinetry is almost a year behind schedule...long story. I'm just figuring out how to post pictures which I have not downsized. I found so many great ideas on this forum! I'll give the details I can remember off-hand, further details I will have to look up.

Countertops: polished Quartzite on island (can't remember the exact name), honed Basaltina on the perimeter

Kohler sinks -main sink is a smart divide. I switched between the smart divide and the Rohl fireclay single bowl twice. Very happy with the smart divide.

Hansgrohe faucet at prep, Dornbracht at main-both have Dornbracht soap dispensers. I put dish soap at main sink and hand soap at prep (I added the prep sink dispenser after-the-fact and highly recommend.

Pulls, top knobs

Cabintery-custom walnut veneer. I'm happy with my frameless cabinets, but my cabinet maker has more than tried my patience. He does great work, but I moved into my 4 month over schedule build with only cabinet boxes (throughout my whole house).

Butcher block-end grain walnut- I am chopping directly on it and love it!

Bar stools-From Crate and Barrel -They swivel, but not fast and they don't show fingerprints. Have been great for children!

I'm going to post more pictures showing the great ideas I got from this forum. Thanks for answering questions and posting pictures!

Comments (72)

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

Wow!! What is pretty clean lined space! Congratulations and great choice of materials. Enjoy!!

As mentioned earlier, more pictures awaited.

• summerbabies
    13 years ago

Ohhh...it's absolutely GORGEOUS! Everything works so WELL! Congrats on an amazing and elegant kitchen!

• na_praha
    13 years ago

Yummy - can I move in? This is such a breath of fresh, clean air...

• motherof3sons
    13 years ago

Beautiful! A very classy design. Congratulations!!!

• johnnyl53
    13 years ago

Overall it looks nice but not a fan of the tall pullout pantry or all the recessed lights.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Soooooooo nice and so very cool!!!

I just love your cabs (walnut is such an awesome wood!).

• isletwoisle
    13 years ago

Love it! Can we see more?! Close-ups of your walnut butcher block, the main sink, and the backsplash would be fabulous.

• Sherri Stein
    13 years ago

Tanem - I love, love, love your kitchen! In fact your kitchen is my goal. I'm in the process of designing it now. So, I'm going to clip your pics and show them to both my KD and cabinet person.

• joan2121
    13 years ago

WOW! WOW! What a gourgeous kitchen!! Enjoy! It is clean, sleek and super cool!

• goofyyno
    13 years ago

I agree with the others- great job.

I simply must know the name of the quartz. Please? I love it.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Amazing! I would love to see a closeup of the butcherbock! And that quartzite is stunning! Love everything about your beautiful new kitchen! Enjoy!

• tanem
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for your kind words!
    Quartzite- Nambia Sky -Originally planned on Luce di Luna but they did not have enough. It has been great! no staining or etching.

I was worried about water splashing on the block behind main sink, but there is so much space it has not been a problem.

The concrete block is by trendstone. It is concrete with aggregate added and then polished. The walls were suppose to be done with rock from the property which would have been beautiful, but a budget breaker. this was a less expensive alternative.

I love the butcher block. I changed to end grain at the last minute. I always planned on actually chopping on it, but had a hard time doing so to such a beauty. My Dad has been staying with us the winter and he solved the problem!

• blfenton
    13 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen. I love the sink wall and the butcher block counter coming out from the island. Two really clean, unadorned design ideas which are beautiful. I like the way, also, that the cupboards flanking the stove are set back giving some relief to a wall that would otherwise be very cumbersome and awkward.

As an aside - there has been a few posts about trends/styles/timeless kitchen ideas etc. We just tore out a 40 year old kitchen that had slab walnut doors - and here is a new kitchen with slab walnut doors. In this kitchen they are gorgeous but in ours dark and gloomy - all in the interpretation of the material.

• jenhp
    13 years ago

Great Kitchen! We are going to do walnut as well. May I ask, how tall is your pull out pantry?

Thanks!

• isletwoisle
    13 years ago

Tanem - thanks for the additional pix! The materials all work so well together and seeing the detail points that out even more. (We soooooo wanted to have walnut cabinetry in our new kitchen, but our home has natural fir trim everywhere and the two just didn't work together. So I'm living vicariously through yours!! Nice that you've got a new build and could begin with what you wanted.)

On the butcher block, do you mean your dad solved the problem by cutting on the walnut for you? I would find it difficult to use as butcher block too, but it looks like a wonderful prep area and since it was your intent to cut on it, might as well make it work for you!

Congrats again!

• jenhp
    13 years ago

Let me rephrase that. How tall and how wide is your pull out pantry? Thanks a million!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Love it. So much warmth and texture. Adore the sink wall with no uppers.Block is so modern! Did you seal it?

Reminds me a lot of a Bob Bakes kitchen that was in House Beautiful last year! Well done...enjoy!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

Beautiful, I particularly like the quartzite, and the sink wall. So open and airy.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I am a fool for concrete and the block is a great choice as a Plan B to your stone, especially in combo with walnut and butcherblock. Are they full blocks or something thinner?

Your layout is unique and I love it. Do you store dishes in the island? I am really taken with your stove wall, and the way you have the uppers to each side at normal upper depth, but have the rest at full 24". A great solution.

• adel97
    13 years ago

WOW! Stunning use of gorgeous AND functional materials. Applause!!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

That's just so open and clean and yet *rich*. Love the materials. Beautiful, beautiful job, and happy cooking!

Becky

• tanem
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again. I wanted to add that I got the idea of mostly drawers (big ones at that) in the base cabinets, from this forum. Great idea!
    -I can not take credit for the cabinetry at the stove wall. The architect and cabinet maker came up with the design.
    -The concrete blocks are full size and run the length of the house through to the outside. We did seal them.
    -The pantry is 24" wide and 80" tall.
    I do love my cabinets that lift up. I did all soft close, slow motion and full extension throughout my house.I feel its a good investment over the long haul.

I do store my dishes in the bank of drawers across the sink. The top drawers are for everyday items and the bottom drawers are for glass plates etc. Unloading the dishwasher has never been so easy!

• tanem
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Elizabeth7- It is a smart divide iron tones sink in white. I bought a sink grid for the large side. Pay attention to how you do dishes, that's how I finally decided. I scrape scraps down the garbage disposal on the right and wash large items on left. It is plenty big to fit a large roster, cookie sheet etc. Also large and deep enough to have dirty dishes not visible.

• sochi
    13 years ago

tanem - wow, you've done an incredible job! Needless to say I'm in love with your walnut and quartzite - gorgeous. That quartzite is really unique and lovely. I'm considering end grain butcher block on my island, your gorgeous block is fabulous inspiration. Congratulations, really beautiful! Enjoy.

• meenakshidpfoc
    13 years ago

hey
    Thank you so much for uploading more images of your wonderful kitchen.
    I have no words to describe that how wonderful, beautiful and well organized it is.

• kaysd
    12 years ago

Tanem,

It is a stunning space. I love the clean lines and your mix of materials. We plan to use walnut cabinets for our re-model. I keep thinking about slabs of Namibia Sky I saw months ago at a local stone yard, but I was concerned about staining and etching. I am so happy to hear that you have not had trouble in that regard. I am trying to decide whether to use Namibia Sky everywhere, or just on the island. What made you decide to use the Basaltina on the perimeter, and how do you like that stone?

• Daicey
    12 years ago

Very beautiful! Is the floor concrete???

• tanem
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kaysd- my choice on materials was constantly evolving. When I cut out pictures of kitchens I liked I noticed they all mixed different countertop materials. I was actually going to go with Luce di Luna but they did not have enough slabs. My husband was sent to pick out the slabs and once the owner showed him nambia sky he was sold ( texted me pictures for approval of course). I do absolutely love the simplicity of me basaltina. I started with pietra di cardosa, then slate and finally basaltina.

Daicey- yes the floors are concrete with one coat of a darker gray stain. I highly recommend them!

• Daicey
    12 years ago

That's the exact flooring look I'm going for - I've been looking at tile and it's been hard to find that look. When I see your floor I understand why - I need concrete. I'm looking at large tiles 18x18 but maybe I should investigate concrete?!

What can you tell me about them?

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Don't know how I missed seeing this fabulous space the first time around but I love it! Great mix of materials.

Nancy

• tanem
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Daicey- It's a new built so concrete floors were a simple choice. It's concrete with one coat of a darker grey acid stain to give it a little more depth. Easy to clean and care for.

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Beautiful, boldly austere kitchen -- I like the layout, too
    lynn

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

Wow amazing! Love all the texture you have going and color of cabinets! The quartzite is just beautiful.

• stephct
    12 years ago

That is amazing! What a beautiful kitchen! I LOVE your quartzite.

• raro
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I love the interplay of the light and dark colors. Please say what the size is of the countertops. 2 cm or 3 cm for the solid surfaces? Also, where did you shop for light fixtures? Our house is modern and it has been a struggle to shop for them. Many that I've seen look too commercial. Yours look just right!

Enjoy the kitchen!

• kmmh
    12 years ago

Beautifully done--hope you are enjoying!

• kellykath
    12 years ago

Beautifully done. You have very good taste indeed. The candle sticks are a nice touch too! What a well designed space!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• rockybird
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen. What thickness are your counters?

Thanks!

• riley605
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! So modern (but in a timeless way, does that make sense?) - would have fit in a "modern" home circa "Bewitched" era, and fits perfectly in a modern aesthetic now. Yet warm and homey - how in the world did you manage that?

Seeing your butcher block is killing me ... my cabinet maker is custom making a checkerboard pattern butcher block to substitute for countertop on top of my dishwasher. It will only be 2' x 2', but I can't wait to see it now that I've seen yours!

• hellonasty
    12 years ago

I missed this one!

Wowzers, a new favorite of mine, for sure! I love everything about it!!!! I esp love the concrete floors and the concrete block BS! Drooooooooooolsville!!! :) :) :)

Is the concrete floor ok to stand on for long periods of time?

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

Wow - very modern and elegant. I have to ask - how big is your island?

• riley605
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! So modern (but in a timeless way, does that make sense?) - would have fit in a "modern" home circa "Bewitched" era, and fits perfectly in a modern aesthetic now. Yet warm and homey - how in the world did you manage that?

Seeing your butcher block is killing me ... my cabinet maker is custom making a checkerboard pattern butcher block to substitute for countertop on top of my dishwasher. It will only be 2' x 2', but I can't wait to see it now that I've seen yours!

• tanem
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for the kind words. We definitely chose our finishes trying to turn down the modernness of our building materials. We wanted a very minimalist home, but not cold. I put all the materials together after spending months going through magazines and online sites.

The stone counters are 2cm.

Alot of our ceiling lighting is can lighting to keep everything clean and open. You must have notice our sconces. All of our interior and exterior sconces are from Ultralights. I actually found them online, but it turns out the company is right here in Tucson. They always have specials on overstocked items (they are listed online). We bought everything as an overstock. We love these lights! They are great quality.

The concrete floors do not hurt my back, but I have read that is a problem for some people.

• mahatmacat1
    12 years ago

Absolutely amazing. Practically perfect in every way. If you are ever inclined, please consider posting more pics of your home's other rooms or exterior. I realize this is just my taste, and other people may not feel this way (but I think you do): I *love* good through-composition (as with the concrete block). That can take a multi-room design from beautiful to brilliant, IMO.

• firstmmo
    12 years ago

Love it. The simplicity and beauty totally shines through!! I agree with flyleft--post more pics!

I am especially curious about a picture that shows the area between the woodblock and the stove and how that looks. Mostly because I am curious about how big it is and whether you think it it tough to walk around. I love butcher blocks and have always wanted a larger in-counter one like Christopher Peacock does.

It also seems like a perfect kitchen for Tuscon--I love it when I can visualize the kitchen in the area and it all comes together perfectly. I think you made some fabulous choices. GREAT work!!!

• cakequeen
    12 years ago

Wow, very rich, warm looking. Nice combination of materials. Textural but not 'busy'. Wonderful job!

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

Tanem, your kitchen is spectacular!! can you tell me what brand fridge and ovens you used are? they seem like they blend in really well as most fridges i have seen with paneling always have exposed metal parts. and your *i think* double ovens? are really cool looking with interesting knobs..

• eurekachef
    12 years ago

Tanem,

Just have to add my accolades to all the others. Beautiful kitchen! I love your countertops and the design is great!

• tanem
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I used Thermadore Columns for my fridge and freezer. We chose them because they were the only fully integrated units at the time. Check on the appliance forum to see if other brands are now making fully integrated units. My ovens are Gaggenau. The top one is actually a combi steam oven and the bottom a convection oven. I chose most of my appliances from researching on the appliance forum. Thanks so much for the compliments! I hope this helps.

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Absolutely wonderful!!! What a great job...

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz