Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanner27

Hickory Cabinets

tanner27
13 years ago

We're really thinking of doing hickory cabinets in our kitchen. Anyone put them in, and if so did you stain them and what color? Are you happy with them or did you tire of them? Do you have pics you could share? Thanks so much for your help!!

Comments (9)

• marcydc
    13 years ago

We have hickory cabs in the ski winter rental we have (built 2006). They are nice! Not stained. I love the knotty holes. Let me know if you'd like pics or email me offline. Winter theme though so the knots and pine cones prevail!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Mine are a year old. I don't recall the color.
    {{!gwi}}

I'm very happy with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen today

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

Ours are just being installed in our new home, so can't tell if I'll tire of them, but I doubt it. They are really beautiful. Ours are premium hickory with SW chestnut stain. The floors are natural character hickory, and will have a very light stain. The floor guys diluted nutmeg stain 50/50 for a test, and it seemed perfect.

{{gwi:1419146}}

The island is one piece. They had quite a time getting it in the house.

Beverage Center

• mikef1
    13 years ago

No pix handy (I'm at work) but we did natural hickory. Its kind of rustic looking but we love them. They are a mix of light and dark with the light areas being much lighter than the pix in the above posts. We did granite counters in what is called Green Gold or Golden Jade. Floors and back splash are copper slate. Anthracite Silganite sink and SS appliances. I'll post photos when its done. Should be any day, week or month now.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Joyce--WOOOHOOO they look gooood!

• PRO
    Showplace Cabinetry
    13 years ago

Hickory is a steady favorite for many people; most people who choose hickory pick a knotty version of it and finish it natural or something else very light in order to highlight the character of the wood.

Others, however, put darker finish on hickory that is not very rustic simply because they like the graining.

Here is a link to a home that was done with a lot of hickory that is very much a rustic look. This homeowner also used another specie in a few rooms that was a compliment to the home's character -- the other specie used was Lyptus (a specie known for its eco-friendly characteristics).

Here is a link that might be useful: Hickory Cabinets used extensively

• joyce_6333
    13 years ago

Thanks for the nice comment Sabjimata. They look so much better in person, can't quite capture it with a camera.

Often people don't realize there are different grades of hickory that most stock cabinetry companies cannot offer. We only found premium grade hickory through our custom cabinet maker, and since we have character hickory floors, I thought it would be a bit much to also do that for the cabinets. Premium grade hickory is also extremely hard.

• tanner27
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting! Pictures really help, pretty sure I'm going to stick with the choice of hickory, probably keep it natural as well. Love to see more pics that anyone has, thanks again!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz