Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxiebabe

Show me your glass front cabinets, please :)

boxiebabe
16 years ago

We have 3 cabinet door frames that we have to choose glass inserts for. Went to the glass company today, and there must've been over 100 to choose from. We narrowed it down to 3, but it's still very hard to choose. They range in price from $50 for all three to $150 for all three. (We know one of the owners so we're getting a discount.. score!)

It's hard to tell what to get when all they give you to look at is a 4x4 inch square. I would like to see some actually IN the door frames, with stuff in the cabinet, with and without cabinet lights on please - If any of you have glass front cabinets - I'd love to see pics of them.

Thanks!

---Boxie

Comments (14)

• livinwell
    16 years ago

Hi Boxie - Here's one that shows one look with crystal behind one set of doors and everyday (red) dishes behind another. I don't have cabinet lighting.

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

What material are the frames made of?

Link to metal frame door pix:

Here is a link that might be useful: Aluminum Door Frames

• nicole__
    16 years ago

We used frosted glass. I see this as temporary. I would like to replace the inserts with a stained glass scene of an aspen grove.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frosted glass

• boxiebabe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The door frames are cherry stained in a medium brown called briarwood. They're shaker/mission style.

• grannysmith18
    16 years ago

I'll be putting in a few class doors too, mostly to break up the monotony of the cabinet fronts. I think the glass results in a "lighter" look. However, I'm concerned that neatness counts, even behind closed doors when they're glass.

Sandblasted glass is too opaque for my tastes. Anyone have pictures of glass that still looks like glass, but doesn't let the full extent of the messiness show through?

• boxiebabe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

helou: That's kind of what I am looking for too.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

We finally decided on seeded glass doors, but only on the cabs that I knew I could keep looking decent! Here's one pic:
    {{!gwi}}

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Here is a photo of glass doors we had installed in our bar area next to our kitchen.
    We chose Reeded glass, on a horizontal cut.
    We hadn't finished filling the cabinets yet so it's hard to see how visible items are behind the glass.

We used the chart below from Feather River Doors as our guide when choosing.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

• many_hats
    16 years ago

Ours is reeded too but installed vertically. There are other styles too this that give the lightness of glass but do obscure the contents so it depends more on your style of cabinets & kitchen.

This cabinet has decorative items in it:
    {{!gwi}}

This cabinet has crystal glassware and gold items for accent.
    {{!gwi}}

I guess the only photos I have are with the lights on. We have a halogen puck at the top of each of the two cabinets shown and have glass shelves installed so the light can filter down--otherwise only the top shelf will be illuminated.

• danie
    16 years ago

many hats and jodi in so calif,

I really like your backsplashes. They are both beautiful. Do you mind sharing the name of the tile you used?

• jillalamedat
    16 years ago

We used very narrow reeded glass. Our goal was also to maintain lightness while not revealing too much. We actually went to a glass shop (on Fourth Street in Berkeley) and got the glass cut to fit, and my DH installed it using quarter-round. It looks better than if we had had the cabinet company install it, and it was WAY cheaper! We are very happy with it.

If someone will tell me how to post a picture, I'll show you how it turned out.

• plants4
    16 years ago

Jillalameda, how do cabinet companies install glass?

• many_hats
    16 years ago

Danie, I just had someone email me last week about my backsplash so I'll paste here what I replied to her:

The tile is tumbled travertine and it's by Tierra Sol. The number on my invoice is NS AN TM RANWH. It was ~$15.00 a square foot. It came in a couple of other neutral-ish colours.

The height of the tiles is about 0.75" and the lengths range from 1" to 4". The sample I brought home looked more yellowish in my kitchen than the final product turned out but I've learned to like it and have received many compliments on it--I think in the end it's maybe for the best as there is just SO much cream and yellow everywhere and the backsplash picks up some of the other tones in the granite. We used Mapei C#13 French Vanilla grout (sanded). After installing, I used Stone Tech's Enhancer Pro (an oil-based enhancer) and even though I had read so much about an enhancer, especially an oil-based one, dramatically changing the look of the tile, I really didn't see much of a difference--and I applied a few coats of it. But it must've sealed it well because even tomato sauce wipes off without any problem.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Danie, our backsplash is: Jeffrey Court Chapter 9 Pietra Opus Quartz Brick Fire and Ice.

Be prepared for sticker shock! I think it's to pay for either the pedigreed name or the beautiful web site. LOL

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Fire & Ice bascksplash.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES