Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwarner16

What Granite choice with natural Hickory cabinets?

Kathy W 16
12 years ago

Boxerpups. you always have amazing pictures to share. I am hoping you see this request and can work your magic. I would love to see pictures of granite with natural Hickory cabinets. If anyone else has any suggestions or pictures they would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)

• herbflavor
    12 years ago

because of the variations, yet the background color being quite light/blondish, I've seen these kitchens with black themed accents....a counter with really dark charcoal or black with some pebbling, black wrought iron hardware....I think the blackish tends to ground all the pattern in the wood and gives you a color to accessorize with. Slate floor as well?....

• Kathy W 16
    Original Author
    12 years ago

herbflavor,
    Thanks for taking the time to give me your suggestion, guess I should have mentioned DH wants something light and doesn't really care for granite with a lot of movement . Also we will be having all stained concrete floors, not sure on the color for them until I see which granite we decide on. Thanks again.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Yellow River came to mind and when I did a google search; this thread popped up. Thought it might be helpful

Here is a link that might be useful: granite

• Kathy W 16
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Remodelfla, thanks for the link.

GreenDesigns, so in your opinion what would be the lightest of the dark shades of granite that would work? Remodelfla, mentioned Yellow River earlier and my DH likes Giallo Ornamental, where as I am drawn to Lapidus. Any suggestions along those lines? Thanks for posting the pictures .

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Costa Esmeralda?

• lcm_maine
    12 years ago

Despite the fact that OP's DH is unsure about dark counters and movement, I thought I would offer a couple of pictures. We are in the process of upgrading our 17-year old kitchen. Original hickory cabinets from a local cabinet-maker are in perfect condition, so we kept them. They have yellowed somewhat. The glass-faced cabinet and cabinet beneath it (moveable) are a year old, made by the same individual. The counter on that is honed Cambrian Black (we believe -- it was a remnant) and the main part of the kitchen is honed Jet Mist. The overall tone of the counter reads charcoal gray, and the movement, though unmistakeable, is not overpowering. (Please ignore the light fixtures and very blue floor, which obviously have not been changed yet. Also hallway walls have since gone gray. )

From Kitchen Pics

From Kitchen Pics

From Kitchen Pics

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

That honed Cambrian Black may have some movement, but it's not in your face. It looks lovely with the hickory. I think any of the darker toned granites can work with hickory. Uba Tuba, Absolute Black, Tan Brown or Verde Butterfly would all work. Blue Pearl or Tropical Brown is as light as you would want to go. No medium or light tones. The actual work surface won't be dark if you have the correct undercabinet lighting that any kitchen should have. And the contrast really makes the grain of the hickory show off to it's best.

• Kathy W 16
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lcm_maine, thanks for the pics, I had originally wanted soap stone but he just doesn't care for the darkness if it if it would stay light I don't think he would be so opposed to it.

GreenDesigns, I will definitely ck those colors out.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your suggestions.

• PRO
    Adam Aberle
    5 years ago
    Kathy, I’m doing something very similar to your kitchen with staining the concrete floors and hickory cabinets and light counters do you have a picture of what you went with.