Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stiles_gw

Finished Marble and Lavastone kitchen!

stiles
16 years ago

I can't believe it is finally done! I am so grateful to this website and all the amazing advice I received. I have uploaded pics to photobucket and I think the website is: http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg66/stilesquinn/New%20Kitchen%20pics/?start=all

If the site above doesn't work, would someone mind telling me how to direct people to the pics on photobucket? Thanks!

Melinda

Comments (25)

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

WOW! What a fabulous kitchen! And that ceiling is to die for!

• oofasis
    16 years ago

Melinda, what a wonderful kitchen! It's endless, all those work spaces, terrific details. I especially like your lavastone - this is the first I've seen or heard of it. How much of your space is new/added on? And ditto about your fabulous ceiling! Please share all the details.

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Stiles - Fabulous kitchen - love everything about it. I asked a question on your other thread about the hood dimensions. You can answer here if that's easier.

Oofasis - Melinda had another thread (something like "To Corbel or not to Corbel"). You may want to check that out.

Below is a direct link to her kitchen pictures:

Here is a link that might be useful: Stiles/Melinda's new finished kitchen pics

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

Wow, as a marble person, I love it but I also love your Lavastone - heard about it, never seen it "in use"! I'm curious - did you get rid of your dining room altogether or has it been "relocated" elsewhere? Also, what is your beautiful view?? Great remodel - so clean and crisp!!

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

Absolutely stunning kitchen - one of the best this forum has seen! Thank you for sharing! While it was beautiful, I studied each picture and truly appreciated the layout and the effeciency you have designed into the space. I love how your 'homework area' is right off the kitchen and I know that you now have a space the whole family loves to hang out in! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

I also know you won't get by without sharing more details on lighting, faucets, cabinets, wall color, floors etc... We are an inquisitive bunch!!

• alliern
    16 years ago

Fantastic kitchen and homework area! The materials and colors that you chose are gorgeous! We are doing a coffered (box beam) ceiling in our kitchen and dining room too. I love how you curved yours to mimic the curved seating area in your peninsula. Great job and thanks for the pictures!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Beautiful! That lavastone is stunning.

Congrats!

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

What a great space, and all those details! I want your pantry!

• Jean Farrell
    16 years ago

Love your kitchen! I really love your light fixtures. I am currently obsessed with light fixtures, and I haven't seen yours before. Please please tell me where you got them.

• Flowerchild
    16 years ago

Fantastic job on one of the Top Ten best (IMHO) on the GW Kitchen Forum. Your attention to detail is evident everywhere you look. What a special place for family to be together. All this and water views as well!!! I certainly hope you appreciate how lucky you are. I hope you will enjoy it for a very loooong time.

• chipshot
    16 years ago

What edge is that, Dupont?

• stiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your generous comments! It took me so long to upload pictures that I ran out of time for details yesterday. It feels good to be done, but we are waiting for furniture. Our current table and chairs in the banquette are wrong for the space and the new ones are arriving in 2 wks. Remodeling is tough, but waiting for furniture can be a killer!

napagirl- my hood is 32" off of the stovetop and it was custom made by a local shop. I had it "aged" and thanks for directing people to my pics!

hockeymom-we did relocate our dr to the front of the house-a bit inconvenient but fine for the use it gets.

oofasis-we didn't add space-we reconfigured. knocked out some walls to the dr and changed the dr to a banquette, homework area. We also remodeled our basement and powder room.

Details-I used a kd and the creative people on gardenweb, and tons of magazines. I really like the idea of zones. So, we have a cleaning zone, baking, prep, cooking. So far, the layout works. The only drawback is the aisle with the main stove-kids do run by at times!

Marble-used on perimeter counters-Calcutta Vagli
    Lavastone-on island and eating bar-Pyrolave
    Cabinets-Quality Custom Cabs(QCC)

Appliances:
    Fridge/Freez-Sub Zero
    Oven-Wolf
    Convection Oven-Miele
    Microwave/speed oven-GE Profile Advantium
    DW-Miele
    Warming drawer-Miele
    fridge drawers-Sub Zero

Main sink-Herbeau
    Faucets-Perrin and Rowe
    Hardware-Top Knobs
    Backsplash and subway tile-Pratt and Larsen

Lighting: Banquette-chandelier: new objet insolite, sconces: robert abbey, Island Light-custom made(need to look up who)

Silestone-not sure of edge(will look up)

Thanks again for your comments. They feel good after a long 8 months!

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous renovation! I am totally envious of the large space! The hood is stunning! Big WOW factor here!

I noticed the central vac in one of your pics. Did you already have a central vac in the house or did you add it with the renovation? I am thinking about a small one with a vacpan for my kitchen. It is the most heavily trafficed area of the house. Would love to know what brand you have.

• stiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Mary,

Yes, we had a central vac already. So, we added the vacpans in the kitchen and banquette area. Much simpler! The brand is called Vac-Pan. Thanks for the compliments.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Wow, it is gorgeous. Doesn't even look like the same house, let alone the same kitchen. You must feel like you're dreaming when you stand in that kitchen compared to your old one. Congratulations!!

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

Well, I have got to stop looking at finished kitchen pictures -- they are so gorgeous I'm feeling like "uh-oh, did I just make a h-u-g-e mistake!"

stiles, what a beautiful, thoroughly thoughtful space. With all the details it looks as if you planned for a really long time: this is what a high-end home looks like!

I love how it looks, and what I love even more is that it looks like it functions beautifully for your family. I really hope you give starpooh permission to include your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog because it is my belief that all your thoughtful details will help so, so many plan functional spaces.

I am so impressed with your jaw-droppingly beautiful kitchen / breakfast nook / homework center. Thank you for sharing it with us!

• taliaferro
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is beyond gorgeous! You made exquisite choices.

I love your stools. May I ask the manufacturer and where you found them?

Thanks!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I have a lavastone cameo :) THat's the largest piece I've ever seen outside of a museaum. I didn't know you could get it in counter tops! I love it. I'll do some homework, but can you tell me about it a little? Is it more, less, etc expensive than a mid or high level granite? Hard to get? How does it wear? I know it's somewhat soft (because my cameo is backcarved and very few of them survived when dropped). Does it stain????

I have another kitchen or two to do...I'd like to know more because I love the look!

• cbreeze
    16 years ago

Where did you get lavastone? Is it hard and impervious to acids? It is gorgeous though.

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

Here's some info about lavastone:

"Lavastone is quarried in France and enameled and fired to present a brilliant crackle finish.

"Completely fabricated before shipping, it can be made into any shape through laser cutting technology, in seamless slabs up to 48" x 96".

"Impervious to stains and heat, lavastone has a high-gloss finish that can scratch if mistreated.

"Available in many colors as well as in custom colors.

"From $180 per square foot installed."

Here's the link to the manufacturer's site.

(I have a little info on it because it was a countertop we investigated when my husband initially said "no" to my marble dream. After we got the quote he relented. [not exactly how things happened but it makes a better story!] Our extravagant [to us] countertops are a comparative "bargain" at $160 per square foot. Gulp.)

• stiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Tali- my barstools are from Berman Rosetti. They are manufactured out of Santa Barbara or LA. We ordered 4 and one came cracked from shipping so we are waiting for a new one!

cbreeze-mkitchen did a great job summarizing lavastone. The cost for us was more around $500 per sq foot incl. installation. It definitely was my big splurge for this project. I ordered it because it makes a good work surface compared to my marble. Our island is the 48x96 size and the first slab came with a hugh crack and was never delievered to our home. So, we had to wait another 8 weeks for the second slab.

Since it is like glass you can crack it if you drop a heavy pan on it. It would look like a scratch in the color or a chip depending on how hard the drop. If it is just a scratch out of the color-there are pens to color over the spot and it virtually disappears.

I love the idea of lavastone beacause it is all one color. Though it is interesting when you stand back from it because you see a wave like pattern that reminds me of water. You also see crackling up close.

Hope that helps. Oh, check out the Pyrolave website. It has info and if you call they are very helpful. I called them to find the person in my area who could order it for me.

• chipshot
    16 years ago

I second the comment about the Pyrolave people being very helpful. Jean, their US rep in NC, responds quickly to emails. I can't say that about many of the other manufacturers reps I contacted. Needless to say, few of their companies got a sale.

We had Pyrolave in a previous house. It's a defining element, and everyone who visits seems to want to know more about it. We're not using Pyrolave again mostly because we wanted to do something different and we found what we hope will be a new defining element for our kitchen. Our island this time will be Caesarstone (hopefully as user-friendly as Pyrolave), and the kitchen's "perimeter" will be crystallized glass (sounds more exotic than it actually is).

• taliaferro
    16 years ago

Thank you Melinda for helping me source those stools! They are lovely and work beaufifully with the aesthetics of your kitchen.

• chipshot
    16 years ago

I also like the stools. They remind me of our kitchen and dining room chairs.

The Silestone edge appears to be ogee and the Lavastone Dupont. I usually find ogee too pointy, but think it would work better for a seat-level working area than one where I would be standing.

• Jennifer
    4 years ago

Hello Melinda--

Sorry to be contacting you so late in the game, but might you share how your lavastone has held up? And also what color it is from the Pyrostone color chart? Thank you!