Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_n_a

backsplash accent suggestion needed

M_N_A
10 years ago

We picked the tile for the kitchen backsplash, squares by porcelanosa 12"x26"

our kitchen is L shape where window over sink in the middle on one side and range in the middle on the other side.

We feel the look might be a little too plain

we want to add a mural kind of accent between the hood and the range.
We don't want very small mosaic because the grout is hard to clean

so any suggestions on what to put in there?

==========
update: the suggestions are consistent not to do the boxed accent. How about a small band right in the middle all across all bs, not just the hood? like this

or throw in some corner square accent randomly across the field?

or is should just leave it alone, less is more :)

This post was edited by M_N_A on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 13:48

Comments (23)

• M_N_A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one option is put a stainless steel trim, or thin glass accent trim around, like this one.

• M_N_A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another idea is to put a different texture/pattern in the box. all of these are big tiles at least 12x24

glass looking big tile:

this is mosaic looking tile but actually 1 big piece

a different texture

too much pattern?

mosaic looking big tile with very vague motif pattern

leaves

flower

what would go with the main tile?
    other suggestions?

This post was edited by M_N_A on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 13:14

• xc60
    10 years ago

My vote is no accent tile at all, it's very pretty all by itself.

• Evan
    10 years ago

I vote no accent as well. That tile you picked is great. Don't compete with it.

• scpalmetto
    10 years ago

I spent hours looking at "tile on wall behind cook top" on Houzz and while I originally planned on a framed accent I am now leaning in the other direction. I find I like the clean look. I have not made any final decision but if I do an accent it will probably be the same tile or an identical color tile set at a different angle or something like that.

• eam44
    10 years ago

Framed accent tile (not my favorite look either - I often end up not liking either tile) is usually a knockout expensive tile in one key spot, paired with plain (i.e. subway) field tile, not a field of mosaic tiles.

Are you sure the Porcelanosa is the tile you want?

I'm including a link to a backsplash thread so you can see bs examples in other GW kitchens. Below is AboutToGetDusty's very pretty example of how this is done, with Artistic Tile's Granada Smoke mosaic in the center.

Here is a link that might be useful: GWbs

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Leave well enough alone. The simple choice IS usually the better choice over time.

• chiefy
    10 years ago

Typically the focal point behind the range is more complicated than the rest of the field tile. I love your tile, and doing something "more" intense, would be too much of a good thing. Doing an accent with something plainer would be kinda backwards.

The silver frame you showed first, might work, but I think even that's pushing it. I'm a big fan of adding in accents, stripes, and mosaics, but not in this case.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I agree with everyone else, no accent tile. You can add interest with the "stuff" you put on your countertop.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I have the tile that you refer to as "added texture" on all three walls of my shower, with no accent and I think it looks great, so I also vote for no accent.

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

Another vote to skip a framed accent above the range. I have never been a fan of them.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Agree, no accent tile. If you really wanted something, maybe a separate board with tile that you can prop there.
    I find that accent tiles/murals, etc. are the first that one gets tired of and that make a kitchen "dated."

• lisadlu
    10 years ago

No accent tile.

• M_N_A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

update: the suggestions are consistent not to do the boxed accent. How about a small band right in the middle all across?
    like this

or throw in some corner square accent randomly across the field?

or is should just leave it alone, less is more :)

• xc60
    10 years ago

My vote is still the same, no accent. :)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Trust me, you'll regret these accent tiles sooner or later. (I wish I had skipped my accent tiles.)
    Use paint or accessories or art if you want a change. Unless you are handy or don't mind ripping out the tiles with the drywall, the most permanent parts of your kitchen should be the most neutral.

• chiefy
    10 years ago

If you really, really want an accent (which I understand, I love them too!) then you need to pick a different field tile and use the tile you've already chosen as the runner around and focal point behind the range.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Breaking up the geometry seems to defeat the purpose of the pattern.

One cool thing I saw at a tile showroom was a mosaic where they popped out some of the glazed tile and replaced it with matte in the same color. It added interest without looking busy.

• eam44
    10 years ago

I think you're looking for an accent because you've chosen the wrong tile. Keep looking.

• sandesurf
    10 years ago

I don't comment much on this site, but here, I have some experience. We finally got BS, after 2 1/2 years without. I also wanted to do an accent tile. SO happy with decision to NOT add an accent.

I can't comment on your tile choice, but wanted to wish you luck!

• sixtyohno
    10 years ago

I put and an accent over my stove. Before the tile was dry, I couldn't stand it.
    It came down, but then we couldn't fill in the space in the brick patttern of the subways and I had to find little mosaics in the same color to fill the space. And for all kinds of reasons, including money to redo the whole wall, we had to leave some of the terrible accent tiles near the ceiling and under the hood.
    So be careful. Simple is always better.

• Caya26
    10 years ago

No accent tile - it looks so fresh and clean and elegant as is.

• M_N_A
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK. We are convinced :)
    thanks all for sharing your thoughts!