Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryann_boffey

Kitchen Remodel DONE! Lots of pics...

Mary Ann Boffey
12 years ago

THANKS to everyone who has ever posted information or pics on here, it's ALL been very useful and appreciated in our remodel!!!

Sources:

Faucet: Rohl Country Collection C-Spout Deck Mount Bridge Faucet w/Sidespray, A1461WS, Polished Nickel, Metal Levers,

www.qualitybath.com

Sink: Rohl Shaw's Original, Rohl RC3018

Appliances: Kitchen Aid Dishwasher, Range, and Vent Hood, GE Monogram Microwave

Wood top: Black Walnut plank style, 1 �' thick. Ordered 4x8 size 'Contractor-style DIY', contractor cut down and routed, I did finish with Waterlox products from craft-art, www.craft-art.com

Pulls: www.restorationhardware.com, Duluth Pull Oil-Rubbed about $12.50 each, 4' and 6' used

Knobs: Home Depot, probably $3-4 each

Came in copper color, I spray painted them with Oil Rubbed Bronze

Lights: www.potterybarn.com, 'Harlowe' $99 each

Tile: Dal Folio 1 series, 3x6 in AT01 SnowDrift

Countertops: Absolute Black in 'Antiqued' from Pental in Seattle

Corbels: www.vandykes.com, Legacy 9 1/2 Inch Curved Bracket Corbels

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Pics

Comments (60)

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

Beautiful!! My favorite components are your gorgeous wood island and those stunning pendants! Enjoy your wonderful creation!!

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

BEautiful! Love, love, love your countertop. Did you order the wood countertop from craftart? Or just the finishing products?

• babs711
    12 years ago

Really really nice and comfortable looking! Did you seal your AB granite?

• fouramblues
    12 years ago

I love how you made a mostly white kitchen feel so homey, warm, and inviting. I hope to do the same, and think it's not so easy. Congrats!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Cheery, pretty kitchen! Enjoy it!

• farmhousegirl
    12 years ago

Love! It looks fantastic! I especially love the glass knobs! Congrats!

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Wow!
    We have the same doors & drawer fronts!
    Of course, your's haven't been through 30 owners and the reuse center and are clean, beautiful and oh, so perfect!

I just love how calm your kitchen is. You've done a beautiful job.

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I am drooling over your walnut! It is so lovely! Love your pendants, too!

Beautiful kitchen--thanks for sharing!

• sarahhomeremodel
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! What a happy, bright space. And I have to agree - that walnut is TO DIE FOR.

Couple Questions:

Was the absolute black granite a DIY, too?

Do you cut down the edge profile and do the finish/oil yourself?

Enjoy!

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Very nice! But where are the "before" photos? It's always so fun to see the magical transformation. ;-)

Sans photos, I'd love to know more about what you did. Are these new cabinets? Or were they existing white cabs? Or were they existing cabs that you painted? What color are they? They look like such a good match to your (white?) fridge so the fridge MOL fades away into the background, letting your other elements shine, like that yummy walnut counter and the island pendants.

I like your kitchen runner, too. Where did you get that?

• drbeanie2000
    12 years ago

Love it! I love that pressed metal backsplashy thing, and your pendants, and your glass knobs, and your colors, and the dining room, and....

• secondcup
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh! That looks incredible. Excellent work.

Do you have a before pic?

Is this where you got it the island wood countertop? (i can't figure out how to include the link in the body of the stupid message so I put it below - cross your fingers that it works....)

Here is a link that might be useful: craft art?

• Mary Ann Boffey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all,
    Sorry just checked my post and saw all your questions and requests.
    I'm trying to post a "before" pic from the real estate ad; this was a complete remodel. Original cabinets were 1985 orangy smelly oak with peach-toned laminate tops, and a peninsula running in the opposite direction as the new island. Also we moved the door over into where the fridge was, and added more cabinet space in the new fridge wall.

And here are answers to questions posted:
    Cabinets were from Huntwood, door style is Hamlet, color is Colonial White.

Runners are Safavieh, purchased on Overstock.com

Microwave cabinet is standard upper depth of 12", hubby hates how it sticks out but it works great.

Granite is bare, haven't sealed it, not having any staining issues but I clean up oil and acid quickly.

Wood countertop was ordered from craftart.com as Contractor level DIY. I bought a router bit from Home Depot and our contractor cut it down to 3x7 and routed the edge. I then did the DIY finish using instructions from craftart. Used sanding dust mixed with superglue as filler in knot holes, etc. Very happy with the quality and price. Cost for 4x8 was about $1100 shipped including finish materials.

Any other questions, you can email directly to me at boffeys@gmail.com
    Thanks!
    Mary Ann

• Mary Ann Boffey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks like the countertop thickness is garbled in the original post.
    It is 1 3/4" thick.

• cehenrichs
    10 years ago

Could you tell me if you like your faucet? I am considering getting the same one for my remodel. Thanks, Charlotte

• ajinnh
    10 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! You must be thrilled. I love the walnut on your island. I'm hoping to convince my DH to go that route. Your pendants are beautiful as well. I hope that you make lots of happy memories in your new kitchen.

• cedarburgcapecod
    10 years ago

This is soooo pretty! Bright, classic, warm and inviting. Please tell us where you found the large metal "tile" that is the backsplash for your range? I noticed it's in some photos and not in others. Does it attach to the wall? I hope you and your family make lots of great memories in your new kitchen!

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. Love so many elements, the island, pendants and the windows with granite sill...love them!

• Kooops
    10 years ago

Love it! I'm doing a plank walnut top on my island too! Seeing yours makes me so happy with my choice. Your kitchen is lovely!

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

It's lovely :)

• ReBe231
    10 years ago

Just beautiful!!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Gosh - fun to see kitchens before I joined GW
    Beautiful

• truffula
    10 years ago

Really beautiful kitchen. I will be undertaking a kitchen reno and I would love my kitchen to end up as nice.

-On the side with the dishwasher, did you just block off that corner? Did you regret losing the "blind corner?"

Really lovely kitchen

This post was edited by truffula on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 9:34

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I like many things about your beautiful kitchen. I'll pick one thing to comment on, and that is how much I like the fact that while your dining room is open and flows easily to the kitchen, it is not all one room. While I myself have a informal farmhouse style eat-in kitchen and like it, I think the trend to have the formal dining room and kitchen to be one large open space has probably started to run its course. All those "open" kitchens are going to look awfully dated a decade from now.

Folly

• romy718
    10 years ago

Lovely kitchen with lots of personal touches that make it warm & cozy.
    Congrats on a job very well done!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Really nice!
    In case you still read this, I have one main question: How much space do you have between the island and both cabinet walls?

• dutseal
    10 years ago

Beautiful WOOD countertop....I'm jealous :)

Has anybody ever used that Waterlox Tung Sealer for their Hardwood Floors????

• Mary Ann Boffey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all,
    First of all, THANK YOU ALL so much for all your nice comments!
    To answer a few recent questions:

From island to stove area, 41"
    From island to sink area, 41"
    From island to microwave area, 46". This is because the fridge sticks out a bit and we needed more room to walk by without running into the corner of the island.

Tin panel behind range in the picture is just leaning, I have since attached it with a 3M hanger doo-hickey. The tin tile came from http://www.mbossinc.com/

Pendants are from Pottery Barn, called Harlow. You can find them here: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/harlow-outdoor-pendant/?pkey=e%7Charlow%7C1%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=NLASEARCH::NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules

Love my faucet. The sprayer is very heavy and hard to push, also doesn't stop immediately when you release, but it's a nice and strong spray.

For walnut countertops, you can save even more money if you like butcher block style here: http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/%27-American-Walnut-Countertop-Williamsburg-Butcher-Block-Co.-AWBB8/10024193
    My island is black walnut which is probably a bit darker than these.

In the corner with the dishwasher: that corner cabinet is not a full space, it is angled at the back, so the space lost was not much and would have been expensive for cabinets. We did have to install a DW that did not match the range and did not have a protruding handle since the drawers across the corner are so close. It works!

To "rosefolly" - the old door from the DR was a 27" wide pocket door and was pretty useless. The wider opening keeps the DR close but much more accessible. We had planned to put in a "barn door" on the DR side to keep the cats separate at night, but we're now down to one senile old kitty and she needs to know we're there...
    The room next to the kitchen is a family room and behind that a sunroom which was added on in 1997 by previous owners. There were 2 separate French doors into the sunroom so it was very closed off. We opened up that wall so now the kitchen, family room and sunroom are all open, it's not huge but it's very nice.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the answers. Would you get your countertops again, both the Absolute Black, antiqued, and the walnut? Just love this kitchen!

• Mary Ann Boffey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, yes, and yes!! I really wanted the black with the white cabinets, but didn't want shiny. I saw a lot of info on here about the honed being hard to maintain and I'm not into that. I also really love my sink... Thank you again for your compliments. It's been 2 years and we still love it.

Good luck with your kitchen, and if you think of it, post a link here or shoot me an email.

• Mary Ann Boffey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Forgot to mention that the tin tiles were about $8 each I think, but shipping was a lot, so I ordered 5 or 6 at the same time; I've swapped them out a few times.
    I really appreciate that they protect the tile from splashes while cooking.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Wow! It's just beautiful! I got stuck with the original peninsula in our remodel because there just wasn't room for an island. I think you did a great job!

Suzi

• alamarie
    10 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen! Love the Walnut top! I also love the Menu rug in front of your range. Where did you find that?

• Mary Ann Boffey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, I don't remember where I got the printed foam pad in front of the range... it was probably a OneKingsLane item about 2 years ago.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

Looove the seeded glass in those cab doors! The whole thing is just gorgeous, and I am both glad and jealous that I do not have that much space to work with, lol!

Congratulations, that is a kitchen I could feel very comfortable in!

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Gayla - I remembered seeing this rug just lately...here's a link to find it: http://www.ballarddesigns.com/french-bistro-comfort-mat/rugs-windows/category/rugs/entry-kitchen/300418

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard Designs French Bistro Rug

• Mary Ann Boffey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Someone asked about the paint color.
    It's SW6379 - Sherwin Williams "Jersey Cream"

Someone asked about the pendant lights.
    Pottery Barn, search their site for "Harlow"

This post was edited by maryannboffey on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 21:35

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

What a pretty kitchen. I love that beautiful piece of wood that's your island! Gorgeous!

• Lisa
    10 years ago

I absolutely love your walnut counter! Just gorgeous. Your whole kitchen is beautiful. Love the tin backsplash piece too.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

So Pretty!! The glass is the wall cabs is beautiful. And that walnut!
    But I keep peeking into the dining room...That wallpaper? is great. Everything goes well with your new kitchen.

• alamarie
    10 years ago

Thanks Andreak1-00 and thanks for all your help MaryAnn! Is the walnut top easy to maintain? Does it get that 'sticky' feel?

• dutseal
    10 years ago

Hi MarryAnn:

How is your Rohl Sink holding up? I have the same exact sink and I have begun to see scratches...like the top white enamel has peeled off in nicks. Annoys me so much.

• Mary Ann Boffey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To dutseal: I have not noticed any damage to my sink and it is 2 years old. Can you contact Rohl to ask? Maybe there was a bad batch?

• dutseal
    10 years ago

Hi Maryann:

I never thought of contacting ROHL because it's been 7 years...but I think I will give it a try. Worst thing they can say is Sorry I'm out of warranty :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I will post an update if I'm successful.

• janana
    10 years ago

Love the whole thing! - but can't believe no one has mentioned the pendant lights. Where did they come from?

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Very beautiful- thanks for sharing. I hope many happy conversations and delicious meals occur there.

• plumberry
    10 years ago

Very nice! especially love the island countertop.
    so rich and stunning. enjoy!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen with all the elements working so well together! Love the hardware chosen with your other choices. Love how much light you have especially form all the big windows! I love the island's counter! I love the seeded glass in the cabinets! I love the black floor mat in front of the gas range that ties in with the counters and is so classy. I love the pendants above the island.

Enjoy! Thanks for sharing.

• jking
    10 years ago

Mary, I too am in love with your kitchen! I have to ask, where did you buy the walnut for the island? Were the planks already glued together and stained? I hope to make a dining room table with a top just like it.
    I also would like to know the paint color of the walls in your kitchen.
    Thank you in advance!

• Mary Ann Boffey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The countertops are plank style from craft-art.com

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor