Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm told leftover stone from a slab isn't mine--your experience?

Posted by needinfo1 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 0:17

I'm curious if things operate differently in different parts of the country. My fabricator told me that the price I am quoted for a complete job is based on the amount of stone needed (sq. ft.) and the labor to cut and install it. If I buy two slabs, but only actually need the stone from 1 1/2 slabs, the rest of the second slab isn't mine to do with as I please. The fabricators keep the rest and use them in other projects or sell them as remnants. From what I've been able to tell, this seems to be the standard mode of operation around here--Minneapolis/ St. Paul area.

Has anyone else encountered this type of system?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm told leftover stone from a slab isn't mine--your experien

It depends - if they charged you for the actual square footage used then you don't own the remnants but if they made you pay for 2 full slabs, then you do own the remnants. Even in a given locale, things operate differently. In my case, I went to a one stop shop that included the granite yard and fabricator and I paid per square foot used If the fabricator is separate from the granite yard, then you're actually buying the slabs from the yard and you should own the remnants. What does your contract say?

o

Fabricators vary. Either situation is normal. I don't think you're getting a deal either way. Most of the cost of our counters is the labor anyway. Mine charged by what I used, which ended up to be most of two slabs. The pieces left wouldn't have been enough to do much else.

Think about what you'll do with a very heavy piece of remnant stone. Store it in your garage? Lay it in the backyard? How will you transport it?

o

In So Cal, many yards only sell by the whole slab. Typically the client buys as many slabs as needed, but only pays for fabrication of the material put in place, plus any edge detail. Any leftover slab is owners...

This post was edited by ctycdm on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 9:07

o

Also in S. CA. We paid per sq. ft, not by the slab, so no leftovers. Ours was also a one-stop shop.

o

I am a fabricator - from MN.

We do our job costing as you describe. When the fabricator assumes some residual value for the leftover stone from your job it's actually saving you money. If you decide to make additional parts from the leftover stone your total price will go up but your overall price PER SQ. FT. should go down as the waste percentage on your job is decreasing.

o

In NY all the places I'va worked with charge by the foot- you don't get remnants. Proice per foot doe not change based on size after minimum of 15 ft.

o

oldryder--

What does the fabricator do with all of these partial slabs? Is there actually that big of a market for odds and ends pieces of all different kinds of stone?

o

needinfo1 - I went to a fabricator to get a vanity top and they had dozens of leftover pieces of various sizes outside that they used for making vanity tops. I could choose any of the pieces for the same price. I happened to find a small piece of Cambria that I loved that was exactly the right size to make a top for our 24" powder room vanity. The fabricator said it was left over from a kitchen counter. So he was able to make $260 from an approximately 30" square leftover. This was a special advertised on Angie's List (including a porcelain sink and up to three holes for a faucet) and it seemed like quite a few people were using it.

o

I'm in S. California. If I bought and paid for two slabs, I would certainly expect that anything left over was mine to keep. I bought my slabs at one place and had them fabricated by another. I do have two large pieces of slab left over, and it belongs to me, though it is still sitting at the fabricators while I decide what to do with it. The fabricator only keeps the left over slabs if they are purchased at his establishment, and in that case the client is charged by the foot for materials and installation, and not charged for the entire slabs.

o

I'm in Oregon. We bought two slabs of quartz and had a lot left over, so we decided to do our vanities. They said they'd store it till we needed it, but they are also letting us chose any of their remnants. We released our remnant and plan to get granite. Be warned, fabricating a remnant isn't cheap.

o

Also in CA. I paid for 2 slabs for an outdoor kitchen and then hired a fabricator to pick them up and do the work. Remnants were mine and I had the fabricator make 2 tops for an outdoor wrought iron table. He also made me a raised cutting board as a gift.

He is a great guy and will travel quite far from the LA area for larger jobs.

o

I paid per sq foot of soapstone used. I held back 3 slabs but they only needed 2ish.

o

I don't understand the question. You clearly stated that you only paid for what you used. Why would you think you own what you didn't pay for?

o

To answer the question on the remnants--They get used, and are sometimes handed out for free--for vanities, shower thresholds, shower niche shelves, etc. I am doing 2 baths right now. Have found the company/person to do the vanities counters using remnants. And, the niche shelves and shower threshold piece he just gave me. (otherwise, he has to dispose of it... not a lot that can be done with an 8" wide leftover piece of something.)

If I wanted the pieces edged just so, or even polished (which takes TIME) I'd have had to pay. But, just a piece (which my tile guy polished the edge of and cut down to right size) he just handed to me.

o

One shop that I've spoken to requires me to buy the entire slabs, so even if I need only 39 sf but one slab isn't quite enough, I have to buy an entire 2nd slab (a waste of my money except they charge much less per sf than others); and the leftovers are mine to do as I please with (he suggested selling them on craigslist). But he charges installation at $15 sf only for the actual sf that is being installed.
On the other hand, another told me that I buy only the actual sf that I use, so the remnant is not mine.

o

"oldryder--

What does the fabricator do with all of these partial slabs? Is there actually that big of a market for odds and ends pieces of all different kinds of stone?"

leftover slab pieces ("remnants") generally are saved if they are big enough to make at least a small vanity. Most fab shops have far more remnants than they will ever use as a typical kitchen of 50 - 75 sq. ft. has something like 30% waste and sometimes as high as 45 or 50%.

The surplus of remnants is the primary reason why a fabricator won't give you full value on the left over pieces from your job as he'll be lucky if he eventually recovers 1/3 of the remnant material cost by making a vanity or other smaller part.

There are a few colors like White Carerra Marble, Fusion, and Blue Eyes that are in high enough demand that a fabricator can give you a better allowance for the remnant because he knows it will get used up in short order. In my shop a nice sized remnant of White Carerra usually doesn't last more than a couple weeks. I have other remnants of nice stone that are more than 5 years old.

o

Also in S Calif. I bought the slabs and what was left over I used to replace the tile on my outside BBQ, plus I have a shelf outside the kitchen bay windows that we use as a pass through to the patio. It is also a great place for potted plants.

When I had to redo some of my granite, due to a smoothtop conventional cooktop (36" semi circle) that was junk in less that 2 years, I was able to buy a remnant at a granite shop and saved a lot of money compared to buying a whole slab.

Gary

o

Hmm, I bought a Dolomya marble, and I bought "the slab". I did receive the remnants, which I paid to have cut into a pastry board.

o

Hmm, I bought a Dolomya marble, and I bought "the slab". I did receive the remnants, which I paid to have cut into a pastry board.

o

catbuilder--

The yard has a certain price per slab. I pay for the entire slab (through my fabricator) and can't just purchase a half slab, but if there are leftovers they belong to the fabricator.

o

Needinfo1, what if you chose to use a different fabricator?

o

jellytoast--oldryder is a fabricator from my area, and he posted above that this is fairly standard practice in my area. I guess I hadn't realized that there are differing ways of doing the stone business in different parts of the country.

o

Yes, but I was referring to independent contractors there who do granite fabrications without actually owning a slab yard. If you used one of them, you could keep your extra slab pieces. Frankly, I really don't understand this practice, even if it is common among supply yards in your area. I would be tempted to ask them Catbuilder's question, "Why would you think you owned what you didn't pay for?", with a small change ... "Why would you think you owned what you just sold to me?" I am asuming you are paying a separate charge for fabrication, yes? If that's the case, then you are just gifting them with your left over slab. With my installation, the left over pieces were quite large, enough for a fireplace, or even a backyard barbeque area. I wouldn't be happy if I just had to give that away to my fabricator.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here