Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maydl

Calling Ticor undermount sink owners ....

maydl
16 years ago

Based on all the positive comments I've read on this forum, I was almost ready to decide on two Ticor undermount sinks (112 and 905). Then I noticed that, instead of the negative reveal that I had hoped for, these sinks have a 1/4-inch polished rim that apparently is meant to show after installation. Here are my questions:

Can you still install these sinks with a negative reveal?

If not, is the caulking between the sink and your countertop visible?

If so, does it bother you?

If you would care to share pix of your installation, I'd appreciate seeing them.

Thanks so much.

Comments (13)

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

I just had mine installed Friday (completed today)and asked for a flush or negative reveal but got a slight (maybe 1/8"). I can see a small area where there is clear caulk showing but since I can't change what they cut away I plan to have them put clear caulking all the way around. The reason I didn't want any reveal was because of the dirt/grime sittin on the edge so that is why I want it filled with caulking. I will take a pic tomorrow and post if you like : )

• muscat
    16 years ago

Here's mine, with a slight positive reveal. Since the edge is a bit rounded, I decided to go this route: I'd rather have a little stainless showing that I can keep clean than have any tiny amount of lip/crevice below that could get nasty over time. I took a close-up of the soap dispenser for someone, and I guess that is also a closeup of the lip, so I'm including that pic, too! The caulk is visible, but really not noticeable. I know that you can do a "neutral" reveal, but if you wanted a truely negative reveal, you'd have to be really sure that they filled the little rounded area with caulk, or it could become a nasty fortress of bad organisms.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Here is ours - we have a very slight negative reveal. The caulk is not visible unless you put your head in the sink, which I am sure some of us TKOer would be willing to do to check it out LOL!

• twoyur
    16 years ago

we have a zero reveal in our ticor

• jb1176
    16 years ago

Those are some beautiful sinks and some beautiful countertops.

Question for twoyur. Is your counter soapstone or granite and will you please share the name of your stone? It is beautiful. It looks honed.

Thanks,
    JB1176

• User
    16 years ago

And another question from me... is it strictly a visual thing or are there other reasons? I THINK I prefer the negative or zero reveal but am curious to learn a little bit more.
    As always, thanks.

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

I had wanted a negative or zero reveal on both sinks, but due to- well, I don't know what happened, but I ended up with a zero on the prep and a positive on the big cleanup sink in the soapstone countertop. I was told that moving that countertop back just a bit would help keep pots from banging the edge of the soapstone.

Makes absolutely no difference re: appearance and the positive reveal is a tad bit easier to clean.

• twoyur
    16 years ago

The counters are tulakivi soapstone from finland
    the island is honed and the rest of the counters are polished

I have no problem keeping the sink clean or the area between the sink and counter

We wanted a zero reveal and the fabricator said he could do it we wanted it too try and minimize that possibility of hit breakables against the stone.

They did take the sink with them to the shop to do it but we are very happy a year and a half later

hope this answers your question

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

Here's my Ticor prep. I didn't specify any reveal and have never paid any attention, but I hope the picture helps you! Good luck!

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Soonermagic -- LOVELOVELOVE that marble!!!

• maydl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much, for sharing your experiences and especially your pictures. From what I can see, the sinks look great regardless of reveal or caulking. Also, it seems like the countertop fabricator has some leeway with regard to the reveal--that's good to know. I hadn't thought about a negative reveal jeopardizing the stone edge around the sink--thanks to all who brought up that point, too; it will set me back to thinking whether having a slight reveal might not be worth it in the long run.

We've lived for 20 years with a tiled-in SS sink, and the grout and caulk around the edge has always been so nasty and impossible to keep from getting black and moldy. That's why I've worried over the reveal issue--I just don't want to see any more caulk!

• twoyur
    16 years ago

Soonermagic

It looks like you and I have the same sink.

yours you say is your prep sink and for us it is the only sink

• kristenfl
    16 years ago

We have a negative reveal. I wanted it to be slightly over so I couldn't see the caulk. It's a little more than I would have liked, but it looks OK. The nice shiney middle part of the Ticor is a bear to keep shiney. I'm not used to this "shine everything" stuff. I used to have formica and a white cast iron sink. I think if the shiney part was showing on the edges too it would look nice when clean and dry, but would be just one more thing to shine.

That being said, I do like the sink. I actually keep the grates in all of the time. I like them. It saves the sink and looks cool, too.