Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upper cabinets - Bi-Fold Lift Ups or Single Flip Ups?

Posted by willyp5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 0:01

I'm trying to decide between two lift systems for my upper cabinets:

bi-fold lift ups
http://www.blum.com/us/en/01/10/40/

single flip ups
http://www.blum.com/us/en/01/10/10/

Curious to hear different opinions and experience with either. I've heard that the lift ups lose their tension after a while but not sure if that's specific to a manufacturer or in general.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upper cabinets - Bi-Fold Lift Ups or Single Flip Ups?

What height are your uppers? From the link:

Single
AVENTOS HK works with medium and small cabinets, ranging in size from:

Cabinet heights from 11-13/16" to 24"
Cabinet widths from 15" to 72"

Bi-fold
AVENTOS HF is ideal for tall and medium size wall cabinets that range in size from:

Cabinet heights from 19" - 42"
Cabinet widths from 15" - 72"

o

I had the single swing-ups for many years in various German kitchens and loved them -- the only drawback being the occasional pinched finger if I was grabbing a plate near the edge and shutting with the other hand -- but this is a hazard of any type of hidden hinge, really. The mechanisms take up some space on the inside wall of the cab, too.

Those bi-folds look interesting; I wonder how irritating that hanging/folded top door would be over time?

I do love that these swinging upper doors don't hit you in the face when you leave them open, the way American side-opening uppers do. Also, you can open all the cabinets as you work and not have to shut one to get inside the other. I don't know why we don't use more of these hinge types over here...?

Blum is a good brand and the Aventos lift-ups shouldn't lose their swing prematurely. Check out Haefele versions as well; each brand has a different arc and one swing might accommodate your space better than another.

o

For the flip ups (Aventos HK), the max height us 24" so that's what we'd do. If we go with the bi-folds (Aventos HF), we'd probably go with 30-36". We don't necessarily need more storage capacity so are more concerned about ease of access as well as looks.

o

I've never used either kind, but I wanted to show the pictures for others who are as curious as me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here