Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheila99_gw

Should I screw the undermount SS sink to granite or use brackets

sheila99
14 years ago

One fabricator suggets that it needs to be screwed into the granite and another says that he uses undermount sink brackets and does not screw the sink to the garnite. Does anyone have any experience with using brackets to hold an undermount sink in place?

Comments (11)

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

brackets - definitely... try Braxton Bragg's "sink setter"

it's easy to work with and inexpensive... been usin 'em for years!!!

hth

kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Braxton Bragg - Sink Setter System

• sheila99
    Original Author
    14 years ago

azstoneconsulting, thank you for the response. Would you please tell me why the brackets are a better method. The KD laughed at me when I suggested it months ago and said there was no way his company would support this idea. But I have a very good granite fabricator who uses brackets all the time especially for 2cm granite which mine is. This fabricator says that I will not be able to change my sink in the future if I use screws.

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Here's the problem (as I see it) when using screws on 2CM stone:

The stone is too thin to support the weight of the screw fittings that
    are imbedded into the stone at least 3/8 of an inch or more. This weakens
    (structurally) the stone around where the the screw has been drilled,
    and because you are adding tension (load of the weight of the sink, PLUS
    the garbage disposal, PLUS the "pull" from the plumbing pipes that are
    tightened to the sink drain) you are asking for a failure.

Yes - you CAN use the screws - But I only would do them using 3CM stone
    (it's thicker and can disperse the weight & tension load a bit easier) BUT -
    even then - I'd use some kind of "cradle" that supports the sink from underneath....

A KD that "laughs at the suggestion of an alternate means of installation"
    is only showing his or her ignorance of newer methods of doing things better.

Your Fabricator that told you that you will not be able to change your
    sink out in the future if you use screws - is IMHO- half right - there is still a chance
    that you can change out the sink -
    it'll depend on the sink that you use and the cabinet
    interior dimensions - allowing you to manipulate the sink in order to remove
    it and replace it with another - or not.....

I really LOVE any kind of "cradle" system that supports the sink - from UNDERNEATH -
    rather than relying on "hanging it from the underside of the stone -

Structurally - the "cradle philosophy" is more sound and will work
    far better for you that using screw that will "hang" the sink from the stone
    putting pressure and tension on the stone assembly - eventually leading to
    a potential fracture scenario..

I've been doing this gig for a LONG time (25+ years) and I get to visit "failure"
    scenarios all the time - done by guys that didn't know any better, wanted to
    be "the cheapest guy doing the job" or the KD's that "laughed at their customers
    and said that no-way would their company would support such an idea" - that is
    until I write my report - based on MIA specs and reference that HAD a "cradle"
    type method of support been used - the failure would not have taken place.

Then...... the KD isn't laughing any more....... especially when they have to do
    a "rip out and replace".......

Bottom line - laughing at sound advice can be expensive!!! especially for ignorant KD's

just my .02 cents worth......

hth

kevin

• sheila99
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Azstoneconsulting, thank you so much!!! I think you have saved me a lot of heartache. I will use the braces you recommended. It seems like they only support the sink on the sides. What about the front and the back, do they need support as well? The KD has made some mistakes and I am paying the price in both dollars and heartache. The awful thing is that they are a very upscale outfit. We decided to pay the price so no mistakes would be made, we are very disappointed in them.
    One more questions, Do you deal with installing 2cm granite? What state are you in?

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

I deal with both 2CM AND 3CM - there are a number of sink support systems
    that are available from various stone industry tooling & supply companies that
    you can obtain these from....

The systems that I like will support front, back and sides so your sink
    is supported as evenly possible.

i live in Arizona - where are you located? I can probably give you some referrals of
    guys that I know that are in the "community" that are able to help you with your situation....

hth

kevin

• sheila99
    Original Author
    14 years ago

azstonecnsulting, you've been great! I live in Virginia. I have made some progress today, I actually found a fabricator familiar with 2cm, although they use the granite strips for support instead of plywood. I prefer the plywood. Do you have any pictures of the application of the plywood underlayment and instructions. Is is screwed into the cabinetry? Glued? What do you do around the sink area? Also, do you have any advice regarding Franke 18gauge Professional series and the Julien 16gauge sinks? Which sink bracket provides support for the front and sides of the sink?

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Sheila99:

I have pics - where in VA are you (My daughter and son-in-law live in Lynchburg)

I have many friends in VA that are really good Fab-ri-mi-cators like me.

and yes - I do have pics....

kevin

• sheila99
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I live in Northern Virginia. Lynchburg is about three hours from me, I was there just two weeks ago! Can you please post pictures and instructions? Also, which brackets support front and sides. What to do around the sink areas? Any opinions on Franke 18gauge vs Julien 16gauge sinks? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

• DowB
    9 years ago

Anyone that wants or needs to mount an under mount sink and never worry about it again should try "Cinclips" under mount sink installation kit. My sink was in within a few minutes and useable right away with no wait time! They were inexpensive and were easy to do myself. If ever needed the sink could be easily removed ,then reuse the same Cinclips again. No special glues or drilling necessary.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

DowB:

Cinclips cost seven times as much as a Hercules Universal Sink Harness and don't turn your sink into a 10" deep truss, however, they are very simple to install and are reusable.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!