Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liriodendron_gw

the sweeby test

liriodendron
13 years ago

Can anyone give me a link to the wonderfully useful Sweeby Test questions? The Sweeby link from the READ ME thread goes to a narrative about the Sweeby Test, not those essential three questions.

I need the link for a friend who is just starting a kitchen project abd I want to them off on the right foot.

Thanks,

L

Comments (10)

• ae2ga
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

From the Read Me post, there is a link. About a paragraph or so down, there are the questions for the Sweeby Test. Is this what you're looking for?

Here is a link that might be useful: sweeby test questions

• liriodendron
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ae2ga,

Thanks, I had that link but it is not what I was trying to get. Those are just a list of style attributes - useful but not what I was remembering.

What I'm looking for is something like this:

I want my kitchen to ___________;
    When I walk into my kitchen I want to feel________

(Those are my clumsy paraphrasing; the original is much better, but I can't find it now.)

Anybody else have it?

L

• liriodendron
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shamelessly bumping this again in hopes someone remembers what those three questions are.

Thanks,

L

• plllog
    13 years ago

That FAQ is the actual Sweeby Test. Did you read it through? Did you try it? I'm thinking maybe the three question thing you saw was someone's answers. Do give it a try!! If you actually work it through you'll find out a lot about what you already know you want, but might not know you know you want.

You might find this blog post on Pors and Condos Blog interesting.

This is the original post by Sweeby, which is what Starpooh put in the FAQ you've seen:

The Sweeby Test
    Posted by Sweeby (My Page) on Fri, Dec 2, 05 at 15:11

A couple of recent posts have referred to something that has been jokingly referred to as 'the Sweeby test', and it's been suggested that a separate thread on that topic might be helpful.

The situation is this -- You're trying to decide between several different options (backsplash, flooring, island size or configuration, countertop material -- whatever), and all of the options being considered look good. Functional and financial considerations are certainly important, but among the thousands of highly functional good choices -- There are so many options to choose from! Which to choose and how to decide?

My suggestion was to try to figure out what you needed the element in question to contribute to your kitchen. To start by focusing on your kitchen as a whole, from a far-off hazy distance -- to wander off into your favorite kitchen fantasy and think about what it feels like, not what it looks like. (Your real kitchen please, not the one where Brad Pitt feeds you no-cal chocolates while George Clooney polishes the brass knobs on your Lacanche.) Then using mood words, describe what your dream kitchen feels like:

warm or cool, tranquil and soothing or energetic and vibrant? calm, happy, dramatic?
    cozy or spacious? light and bright or dark and rich?
    subtle tone-on-tone, boldly colorful, textured?, woody or painted?
    modern, traditional, vintage, rustic, artsy, retro, Old World, Arts & Crafts, Tuscan?
    elegant, casual? sleekly simple, elaborately detailed, or somewhere in between?
    pristine or weathered, professional or homey?
    whimsical, sophisticated, accessible, romantic? masculine or feminine?
    How much zing? and where?

The list goes on and on...

Once you've identified the way you want your space to feel, then write it down as best you can. Try to freeze that feeling in words so you can refer back to it if you find yourself losing your vision or going off track.

Then look at where you are so far with the elements you have, and ask yourself if you're on the right course to create your dream? Odds are, at any given point in time, you'll be part way there, but that you'll need to go a little more this way, or a little more that way to move closer to your dream. Try to figure out what direction you need to go, what the missing element is that you need to add, (or just as important, if neutral background is what's needed) and write a 'Mission Statement' for your ideal backsplash / flooring / countertop:

"The perfect backsplash for my kitchen will add an enement of romance and whimsy, while not disrupting the calm and soothing tone-on-tone color scheme or diverting attention from my beautiful granite."
    or
    "My ideal countertops will provide the 'zing' my kitchen is missing right now, adding an element that is modern, rich, sophisticated and dramatic."

Then evaluate your potential choices against this Mission Statement. Odds are, one of your options will further your dreams while most of the others, though beautiful, take your kitchen down another path.

That's what I've got. What else can we add?

• liriodendron
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Pllog,

I did see and read through what's in the READ ME thread that links to the starpooh blog, that is the "Sweeby Test". What's there is certainly useful but not, alas, what I was looking for.

Obviously I must be confusing something else with the name Sweeby Test.

I was looking for something that was simply three questions, not a long list of style options. This isn't for me but for someone else and I'm not sure that "Official Sweeby Test" list would be as useful for a completely non-TKO person. The three question thing was more open ended, and thus more useful in this situation.

I still have my own answers written down in my notebook, so perhaps I can recreate the questions.

L

• babs711
    13 years ago

I'd be interested in the three questions you come up with based on the answers you have in your notebook. Do you mind posting them once you have them? Thanks!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

Have you also been reading over at ikeafans? The questions you list are the ones they suggest when creating a mission statement:

Here is a link that might be useful: ikeafans mission statement

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Writersblock- Thanks for the link! That mission statement is really helpful...and could be used for any room, or even the whole house design :)

• liriodendron
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Writer's block has got it!

The questions (AKA "Mission Statement") I was looking for are on the IKEAFANS website. But I bet I got the questions from a post here on GW/KF before there was an IKEAFANs site because the notebook with my jotted-down answers is older than IKEAFANS. The owner (Susan?) of that site used to be quite active here, and once had all the old archived pages of this site reposted on her site. (I don't know if those ancient KF pages are still available there; I find IKEAFANS useful but awfully hard to navigate, so I rarely visit.)

Thank you to everyone who replied!

L

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

>I don't know if those ancient KF pages are still available there

I doubt it. They've switched software packages several times in the past couple of years.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH