Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

I don't know what this little room is, but I want it!

worldmom
13 years ago

I found this on houzz.com

This is unbelievably stunning. Oh my goodness.

From Last Import

Comments (23)

• User
    13 years ago

Looks like part of a butler's pantry. Pretty pretty....

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I was going to say Butlers pantry also. Love the cut out.

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

very. very pretty! I could see that in a kitchen with soapstone counters and a lovely french range.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

It is weah Prissy poahs buckets of 'mos boilin lavendah water on your haid before the barbecue.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Butler's pantry, definitely.

Now .... what the heck is a butler's pantry? I ask this, actually having one. It has a dishwasher and long wall with cabinets lower underneath a low counter and huge tall cabinets upper. I love that kitchen (shared family house in Maine). I really *love* that kitchen and I always thought I was pretty crazy for doing so as it's not been renovated since the 50's, but now I understand better why it works so well. Zones. I think butler's were probably a good idea. ;)

• enmnm (6b)
    13 years ago

In days gone by, the butler was in charge of the silver. The plates, silverware, candlesticks, etc, which represented an enormous chunk of money. He and he alone would have the keys to this pantry, where he would be responsible for polishing it, maintaining it, and ensuring that whatever was placed out in the morning was returned at night.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I'd love a butler's pantry, but not that one. Too cold, sterile, and institutional looking. For goodness sakes, find a color palette.

• greenhousems
    13 years ago

This could also be what was called a Scullery years ago. I found this definition on About.com

"A scullery is a room ajoining the kitchen where pots and pans are cleaned and stored and clothes are laundered. In Great Britain and the United States, houses built before 1920 often had sculleries."

I've always loved the way that word sounds!

• enmnm (6b)
    13 years ago

Yes, a scullery, rather an butler's pantry. A butler's pantry--or a dry goods pantry, for that matter--would not have a sink.

None of which should be confused with a larder.

Signed,

Someone Who Watches Too Much PBS

• lyvia
    13 years ago

I love it as a beautiful photograph.
    I love the shape of the sink, and that faucet looks like you could wash anything in there from babies to dogs to laundry. The touch of marble echoing the grey shadows is classy. I love the arrangement of panes in the windows.

But - doesn't it need towels? or dish storage? This arrangement reminds me more of a potting shed, but you wouldn't do that in white. It almost looks like part of a veterinary setup.

My "scullery" zone is based on a flow where dishes come in from the table, and get stacked on the counter. Some food goes into tupperware to the fridge, some gets scraped into a trash. Dishes are rinsed, loaded into a dishwasher, then emptied into a cabinet.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I love the sink, but it doesn't appear functional in that space. I would have to pile all the dirty dishes in the sink to start washing, placing to dry to the left. No place to put overflow of dirty dishes (or glasses you don't want broken). For me, it would be a great laundry room sink for flowers, bathing small dog... but not for tableware.

• lolauren
    13 years ago

The hole under the cabinet is very tall...... which is odd to me. That, coupled with what appears to be a dog dish on the counter, makes me thing a dog crawls up in that space to sleep (and the doors just open up to the space.)

Maybe I'm a bit too imaginative and/or too much of a dog lover :)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

HVAC register underneath?

• lolauren
    13 years ago

a link to the before and after photos of this space :) I did a little cyber hunt for this photo. Since the DW used to be here, I guess this is part of the kitchen. Houzz says that is a sink original to the house (100+ years old.) It's in Seattle.

• lolauren
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}} or... was part of the kitchen.

• lolauren
    13 years ago

LOL. I am done posting/searching!!!!:

http://gasparsconstruction.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/salvage-plumbing/

It's a bathroom. It used to be the kitchen area.

• User
    13 years ago

Here is mine....I do use it for flowers and also large pots etc and my washer/dryer are in the room and my large blue granite roasting pots are in the cabs as well as towels in the drawers. The sink is salvage. It is adjacent to the kitchen...so I guess it is a scullery :)

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Call it whatever you want, I wish I had it! I have a breezeway with my washer/dryer in it. also 12 wire dog crates for boarding dogs. If I could ever quit with the dogs, I'd turn that thing into a scullery/butler's pantry in a heartbeat! And I'd put a French door in the south end and a cute round glass table or maybe ice cream parlor table/chairs there. Has anyone ever planted a money tree or money bush? Did it live? Is it considered tripical?

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

This picture makes me regret even more that my cabinets are creamy white instead of stark white. Sigh.

• flseadog
    13 years ago

The house I grew up in had that exact sink (or one very similar) but with legs. My best guess is that it was salvaged from another period house in Seattle or repurposed from the house lolauren researched. To me it looks a bit high sitting on that countertop as the left side drainboard of my Mom's sink was definitely already a full 36" high. If the pictured sink is sitting on a regular height counter (hard to tell from the photo but it looks like it a isn't a regulation height counter based on the edge of the counter visible to the left of the photo) it would be way to high for comfortable use. However, IMHO it's really too bad that sinks of this type are no longer on the market for a dedicated clean up sink. No modern sink I've ever used has beaten that one for ease or use and pure good looks. Thanks for sharing the photo.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

O.T to Marcolo...marry me?

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Could you not have waited until Valentine's Day to propose?!

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Florantha, if you live in a warm climate, he might accept about now.