Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thickness of cabinet doors/drawers

Posted by quiltgirl (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 23:48

Does anyone have cabinet drawers or doors that are a full one inch thick? On a five piece inset drawer do you think the look is noticeable between a 3/4 inch and a 1 inch drawer front? I have asked for a price on one inch thick drawers but my Mennonite guy appears reluctant to even price it. I know it probably is not the norm, but am curious none the less.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thickness of cabinet doors/drawers

Mine are more than 3/4" and less than 1". They look fine to me. I'm not sure what else to tell you!

o

Many mid to hi end brands offer 1" doors. I have them in Quality Custom Cabinetry, Mountaineer, Kropp, and RichMaid, can think of at least a dozen more that have them.
The look for insets has more to do with the door style. I'm putting in a display with 1" doors in QCCI only because the framing bead looks better with a 1" than it does with a 3/4"
First pic below.

Some brands (hi end) also offer 1" frames (standard for inset in QCCI) Where that shows the best is if the door is held back from the face frame a little- often with an extra edge detail around the opening. This is usually only done for a feature section or cabinet- can get busy for an entire kitchen. Second pic below- 1" thick door, inset with cove detail on edge--definitely NOT shaker :)

o

Maybe I am missing something.... but on an inset drawer, how could you even tell what the thickness was (unless you opened the drawer)?

o

Only by the framing bead,i.e.on the white door above the cove would be shallower and narrower if the door were 3/4

o

If you like paying for complete overkill, go ahead. It has zero to do with actual functionality. It IS a fabulous look though. Most people would rather put that money to doing all drawers in the kitchen. Or, if you're one of the lucky few that can do the 100K+ kitchen remodel with the 1" thick with drawers and all of the bells and whistles without having to worry about the choices, then don't sweat it at all and proceed. That's not most of us though, and we probably want to live vicariously through your remodel. :P

o

jakuval, what is the upcharge to go from 3/4" drawer to full 1" drawer? Is the difference between the cove for a 1" vs. a 3/4" drawer really all that noticeable?

Hollysprings, no living vicariously through my kitchen! My kitchen budget does not come close to $100 grand! However, my cabinets are being made by a Mennonite man and my laundry was done by the Amish. The price quotes are very good. I am going to try getting a quote from him just for fun, although the idea of 1" doors to him was foreign. He did not seem warm to the idea at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here