Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judydel_gw

Shaker style cabinets

judydel
15 years ago

Hi All,

I am considering white, shaker style cabinets. I have a question for those of you that have this style. Does the inset ridge collect dirt and dust more than a raised panel??

Comments (14)

• erikanh
    15 years ago

My new cabinets are white shaker style. I decided against the beaded style you're referring to after several people on this forum complained about dirt/dust/spills collecting in that bead.

Here's my door:

{{gwi:1592016}}

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I have never found the bead a problem.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

I would say yes, based on the amount of dirt I saw accumulated on those ridges in kitchen displays in the stores. I would run my finger along the ridge and come up with - ick. I still wanted a shaker door, but I tried to find one where the inset was on the shallower side. That was part of my attraction to the wide shaker style - besides it being more contemporary-looking (to me), wide shakers tend to have shallower insets.

I remember seeing one door that had such a deep ridge - all I thought when I saw it was, "What were they thinking?!"

• clg7067
    15 years ago

Some of my shaker doors are white (to be replaced in the future) and some are natural maple. The white really shows the dirt, the maple doesn't. I have to say that I have 2 dirty dogs, so I get more dirt than the average person. ;)

• kompy
    15 years ago

I have a shaker style kitchen with the flat/squared edges on the door frames. The flat spots did get dusty and dirt would settle in the crack....and be more visible.

So....for my dining room buffet, I decided to go with a shaker style but with a beaded profile on the door (where it meets the flat/recessed panel). It is much better!!!!

• zelmar
    15 years ago

We have plain Shaker doors on our bathroom cabinets and have found over our 20 years with them that dirt/dust collects on the horizontal flat shelf created by the recessed panel. Even though I love the look of the plain Shaker door when it came to ordering kitchen cabinets I wanted to avoid this problem by getting a similar style only with a quarter round molding strip lining the frame.

And as far as the bead of beaded inset---sometimes stuff does accumulate in the bead but not nearly as much as on the flat ledge of the Shaker door. I generally go around and take care of anything collected in the bead every couple of months. After living with these cabinets for 3 1/2+ years I would make the same choice again (the molding strip around the recessed panel and getting the beaded inset style.)

{{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

• katienic
    15 years ago

We are having shaker with a bevel top & bottom to echo the door styles throughout our home. Because it has a bevel it does away with the hard edge lip where the grime tends to collect.

I think the lighter image shows the detailing better. The darker image is closer to what we will have as the finished cabinets.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Zelmar,

Everytime I see pics of your kitchen, I do get cupboard envy! I just love your cabinets. They make me so nostalgic, and I have no idea why, cuz as far as I remember, no one I know ever had a kitchen like that! Maybe in a past life? :>)

• mary_lu_gw
    15 years ago

Zelmar, this is the first time I have seen pictures of your kitchen and I LOVE the cupboards. They are something along the lines of what I was envisioning we would do on one wall of our kitchen. Would you mind posting more pictures? I would really appreciate it. Or if you have posted pictures previously, could you point me in the right direction?
    Thank you.
    Marylu

• zelmar
    15 years ago

raehelen, That's exactly how I feel when I see beautiful white kitchens or pieces like kompy's buffet. No idea why, but some deep stirring.

Mary lu, thank you. There are pictures of our kitchen floating around but it's not in the FKB because I refuse to call it done since we haven't finished the lighting fixtures (dh has moved onto other parts of our house so it's a matter of function over aesthetics right now. dh is supposed to make the fixtures.) I hope judydel doesn't mind if I post some here.

{{gwi:1595794}} {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}} {{gwi:1570742}}

{{gwi:1574846}} {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• krissd
    15 years ago

Zelmar - Gorgeous Kitchen.

Judydel - I currently have doors with an inset panel and spills can collect in there. I take a toothbrush to get in there sometimes (especially if DH or DSs spill and don't tell). We're having raised panels made this time, and i think dust will still be an issue along the top ridge. I think wiping down every now and then with a soft rag is a solution for both styles. IMO only ...

• mary_lu_gw
    15 years ago

judydel, I apologize for the hi jack, but thank you for asking about shaker cabinets!

Zelmar, thank you for posting your pictures. I really appreciate it. Hope you will not mind if I save your pictures? I would like to keep them so that in the future, when we do our kitchen, I can refer back to them? Your kitchen has become my inspiration for the cupboards I want!
    Marylu

• judydel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No problem with anyone "hi jacking" the thread. I love to watch threads evolve.
    Thanks for all of the input. I'm planning on buying Cabico cabinets and now I know to scrutinize their shaker cabinets to be sure there's a bead or bevel or something other than a deep, flat edge. I don't mind dusting, etc . . . but I don't want to have to pull out a toothbrush or toothpick to keep an annoying edge decent. I imagine that on painted cabinets (which I'm planning) this would be especially aggravating.

Love, love the simple shaker look with icebox latches and cup drawer pulls.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I have shaker without beading and I've been surprised to realize that I do need to dust the lower part of the panels. My old raised panel doors never caught dust.

Anita