Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cj47_gw

Cherry Craftsman-esque Kitchen, 90% done--pic heavy!

cj47
13 years ago

At long last, I submit to the TKO folks of this forum my 90% finished kitchen. Last March, we started a whole house renovation, including a 10 foot addition onto the back of the house that gave us, among many other things, a new kitchen. We are honing in on completion of the project, and still need a backsplash and a few touch ups with the paint brush--but otherwise, the kitchen is done. I was shooting for a Craftsman-esque style, (Pllog called it a "homage to Craftsman"), comfortable and welcoming, with room enough for me to be cooking dinner, my daughter to be making dessert, and my son to be working on his famous Chex Mix while someone unloads the dishwasher and sneaks in for snacks. I think we've achieved that. Coming from the old kitchen, I feel very much like I've won the lottery. I extend my heartfelt thanks to everyone who chimed in with layout help, suggestions, and patience while I whined about hardware a few months ago. You're all wonderful and I appreciated every word of advice, plus that occasional kick in the pants (ahem, Rhome) that you all gave me during this process. Details are at the end.

The former kitchen. There was a total of 5x5 feet of open floor space in the middle. When the portable dishwasher was stationed at the sink to be run, or if the refrigerator door was open, the entire kitchen was inaccessible.

The old vent

The former spice drawers

Completely demo'd kitchen. The plywood rectangle was the door to the living room. That wall remains, but the wall adjacent was removed, making the living room much larger.

The new kitchen

The New Vent

The New Spice Drawer

Garbage pullout under the prep sink

Microwave cabinet, desk, pantry storage

The cooking wall, cooktop, ovens and fridge

Dining area

Kitchen Philosophy, courtesy Penzey's

The Details:

Cabinets: Custom Natural Cherry, shaker style

Hardware: Restoration Hardware "Quincey" in Oil Rubbed Bronze

Flooring: Stainmaster Vinyl, Blue Slate #4012

Countertops: Formica 180FX Corbeau Montana, beveled edge.

Light over table: Kitchler Structures collection

Ovens: Electrolux Dbl oven, convection/wavetouch

Cooktop: Miele Induction 36 inch

Hood: Vent a Hood PRH9242SS

Dishwasher: Miele 2142SC

Fridge: Electrolux French Door, IQ touch.

Sink: Blanco Silgranite Supersingle in Anthracite

Prep Sink: Blanco Silgranite single top mount in Anthracite

Once again, thanks everyone.

Cj

Comments (33)

• marcydc
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow cj! nice! love the transformation! I've been waiting to see where you put that Miele cooktop :)

And those old spices drawers! Amazing - did the top one levitate or did you find some sort of rubber band system to allow them to hang and still be pulled out!

I'm a sucker for cherry and yours is just going to keep getting prettier every day!

• cj47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Marcy! LOL, rubber bands would have been quite appropriate in that kitchen. In truth, there was a shelf and the box just sat on it, gathering sawdust every time the top drawer opened. (Screech...)

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

This is one of the most remarkable transformations I've seen on this site. Love the floor, the countertops, and those great windows over your sink. Enjoy!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

It must be heaven to use your new space ;) That is one heck of a transformation! Your new layout looks spacious and functional and the overall scheme is so pretty. I love the clean lines in your design and how open it all feels. Your windows are gorgeous too!

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

Wow! It's great. And big! Wonderful gathering room. Enjoy!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

What a big open welcoming space! I love the cabinets and those windows are amazing!!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Oh. Now that is one downright amazing transformation! The opening up of the space is fantastic. Not just with the knocking down of the wall, but also with the addition of the new windows. Love the flooring, cabs, lighting. Everything! Just a lovely, lovely job overall. Congratulations!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

What a beautiful new kitchen! The grain on your cherry cabs just blows me away! Everything goes together so well to create a warm and happy space. I think that backsplash is going to be a wonderful finishing touch. I bet you smile everytime you walk into that new kitchen--even when it's to do clean-up duty! Enjoy!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

You must feel like you're cooking in a palace now! That's amazing. Your time, energy, and thought going into this kitchen shows. It so earthy and warm. And huge too. Congratulations!!

Are those the Icon or non-icon ovens? I'm planning the non-icons myself. How are you liking them? Do you bake a lot?

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Oh, duh. Those are the non-icons, and you do love them. I've read your appliance forum posts. Sorry!

• John Liu
    13 years ago

You did a great job. That's a night-to-day transformation. Beautiful cabinets, such a nice wood.

I like the desk - is it a built-in roll-top? I've never seen that detail before.

• User
    13 years ago

Really beautiful. Hard to believe it is the same space. LOVE the windows and open airy feel. c

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Just gorgeous! You must be thrilled to have acutal space now!

Love the flooring and the windows especially!

• ccintx
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your new kitchen and the wonderful job you have done. My kitchen is similar to your old one,...yuck,...but I'm about to build a new home, and I am getting tons of ideas from your new kitchen. Love, love, love your cherry cabinets.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

What a fantastic change. Your new kitchen must feel like heaven to cook in. Love the windows, great floor, very nice appliance choices and everything compliments everything else. I'm sure you are enjoying it along with the rest of the family.

Nancy

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

That is quite a transformation! You have tons of space now, and your bar stools have a nice style to them. :o)

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

WOW! Beautiful transformation! You have such a big open space to work in now. Love the counters and the floors are gorgeous.

• Katie S
    13 years ago

Beautiful!!!

• itsallaboutthefood
    13 years ago

Your cabinets are beautiful! It must be a joy to cook in now!

• cj47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I do feel like I'm cooking in a palace. I'm so, so blessed by all of this and I'm grateful for it. I've always loved to cook and bake, even in my old, dysfunctional kitchen where every corner was a black hole. But now it's even more fun! I can actually have bunches of family over for holiday meals. No more running down to the basement to get all the kitchen equipment that was stored down there. The extra 10 feet really made a huge difference in what we were able to do in the room. It's really become the gathering space we planned for it to be--everyone hangs out in there, and I find that even my teenager wanders in and sits at the island to chat with me when I'm working. That was an unexpected bonus.

Breezygirl, yep, non icons and I do bake a fair amount (though not as much as Rhome)and I do love them. I have pictures of our first pizzas in the ovens--but I'll post those another time.

Johnliu--we had the desk is built into the cabinetry, and we had the cabinetmaker install the tamboor top so that any mess or clutter could be hidden. We plan to install the family computer in there, and make it the landing spot for mail, keys, my purse, etc.

Laxsupermom--funny that you should mention the stools. We were kind of running out of money towards the end, so we picked those up at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $80. For all three. :-) We'll see how long they last!

Cj

• zeebee
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, especially those stunning cabinets. You nailed the 'Crafstman-esque' perfectly!

• User
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Your kitchen is beautiful!

• marmoreus
    13 years ago

Wow!!! That really is amazing! I am so happy for you to have that space to cook in. Love the cabinets and your trim style. Congrats!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Are you sure that's the same house--wow! What a wonderful space you have created. It's nice that you now have enough room, and can get in and out of the kitchen!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Holy moly, your kitchen is HUGE! Look at all that space now!

What an amazing transformation! I cannot even believe that is the same space! YOur cabinets are beautiful, and I love your counters and floors--it looks so great together.

Fantastic job! Congrats!

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

wow, you did an awesome job creating such a warm and inviting space. I really love the craftsman touches!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Wow - what a great transformation. Vaulting the ceiling opened the room up even more. So much more space - enjoy!

• cheri127
    13 years ago

Very, very nice. You must be loving you new space.

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Oh, CJ, it is gorgeous. I want to grab that bottle of oil and drizzle it in a new wonderful induction pan and dump some veggies in and stir fry some marinated meat ---and I would be glad that the kids were hanging around, and hungry (and never picky) and they wanted to cook too-and we could all dance to wooly bully!

That's how your kitchen makes me feel! I want to cook and play in it. Outstanding, spacious, outside-inside, good stuff, so pretty. Enjoy

• rhome410
    13 years ago

This is so gorgeous and I'm so happy for you. What an improvement!

"Kick in the pants?" Me? ;-)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

This space has "family" written all over it. Congratulations for undertaking the project and for bringing it to this wonderful stage of usability.

(Because it's an addition, I look look look. Lots to study here.)

• cjc123
    13 years ago

YUP LOVE the Cherry ;-) Is that a heat blower under the kitchen sink? Toasty toes - love it! You did a great job. Great idea for the storage under the seating area. Gotta grab all the storage we can. Enjoy!!
    the other CJ - CJC

• cj47
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Westsider--LOL, I feel the same way. And even if the kids ARE slightly picky, I don't even care. I'm dancin' anyhow.

Florantha, what a lovely thing to say. Thank you. :-)

Cjc123: Yep, that's a heat vent under the sink. There is a tapmaster under the prep sink, and I keep kicking the heater out of habit, thinking that it will make the faucet go on. LOL, WARNING, you may save some money by only installing a tapmaster on one of your sinks, but you will have bruised toes to show for it. Those things are habit forming. :-)

Rhome.... ;-p

Cat_Mom, lol, yes, it is lovely to be able to actually get in and out of the kitchen without bumping a hip or someone else on the way.

Everyone, thank you so much for your kind comments. The vaulted ceiling and trapezoid windows were DH's idea--and I'm really glad he came up with it. I love being able to see the sky all the time! It's really a multipurpose room--there's a desk, the dining area and the kitchen all in one, with the mudroom off the side. I get a kick out of the refrigerator placement. It's EXACTLY where it was in the old kitchen. I'm as pleased as I can be with the new space--it's a joy to work in and I'm so relieved. I loved the whole process, but I worried that I'd forget some detail, or mess up the design in some subtle, unforseen way that would really mess up the flow. LOL, fortunately, you guys helped me to avoid the most obvious pitfalls!

The best part is that my kids can join me in the kitchen now, and they do. They seem to enjoy cooking--my 15 year old has asked if he can borrow the kitchen to make dinner for his girlfriend sometime. I haven't decided how that's going to go yet..but he melted the chocolate on the induction cooktop for our Valentines Day treat tonight, and he did a stellar job, too! Molten lava cupcakes...mmmm!

I wish I could invite you guys over for a cupcake and a cup of coffee. :-)

Cj

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!