Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgopp

Starting up another remodel

jgopp
10 years ago

So many of you have seen my kitchen... http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg03143721499.html?34 if you don't remember me!

Anyway I've just busted my old kitchen out at another property of mine. I've got a pretty exciting plan laid out. I took down a foyer area which really just created two unwanted walls and a lower ceiling. This gives me about 15 inches to move towards the front door there adding much needed cabinet space. The cabs that were there before were crap home depot builder thermofoil or something. The boxes literally fell apart when I pulled them off the wall.

I also had the heavy beams removed in the living space. I'm going to be pulling up the carpet and laminate and replacing it with hardwoods. There will be new beams going both directions now which should feel a bit more cozy. Basically it's an open concept layout that is going to be completely refinished since it's heavily showing age.

Here is the current look of the place...

Comments (76)

• jgopp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roughing beams today

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure if people are still really following this, but I got my range backsplash stone delivered today...

It's the multi color one on the left there.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I have new site finished top-nailed oak planks in my kitchen and I love my new floor! Thanks for sharing.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I want to see more!

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

Totally coming along. You are going to make a special kitchen niche for the Easter Island statue right? Ya gotta do that!

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

Totally coming along. You are going to make a special kitchen niche for the Easter Island statue right? Ya gotta do that!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

I am definitely following! Question on previous post - Roughing beams today- wasn't sure what was being done to the beams. It looked like you were building a hollow space between boards - is that then completed with another board (horizontal to the ceiling)?

Are you running the range backsplash vertically or horizontally? With what you did in your last kitchen, I know you have a master plan (and vision) which will be fabulous. Being entirely unable to visualize the final product based on what you've posted, I am very much looking forward to seeing pictures as things progress. Please keep posting!!

P.S. Any floor shots yet?!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha, unfortunately the cabs are already made Firsthouse, it's going to be back on the deck as soon as the weather warms up!

Also got my pendant lights from Rejuvenation which go in an orbital pattern over the island... here are the globes

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Oh my god ( and I don't ever say that) I love those pendants! We're on the North Shore of Boston and go to Turner's regularly in Salem (old Lyceum) and each time I look at their lighting (same) and admire and admire. (I'll take a picture next time). FABULOUS, gorgeous lights with texture and personality. (Dusting may be a challenge). Kudos to you, see there's that vision I knew would be coming...

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oldbat, I'm glad you're still in this thread haha!

You know I'm saving some of the picture for later... can't spoil everything now.

I thought about the issue of bugs/dust on those pendants but I liked them so much that I'm willing to take them down and clean them, also have my maid do it when I'm not there. They sure are a classic. I hope they are going to look great with the countertop materials I've picked out.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Just looked at the pics of your other kitchen, does this mean you are leaving it behind? If so, is it on the market? ;)

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Texas_Gem, you think I'd be crazy enough to give up that kitchen ;) nah it's another property I own, I spend a decent amount of time there in the summer since it's on the water. A great place to host friends and family.

It's actually kind of funny you ask. I just finished modeling out the basement from empty there, and now am completely redoing the upstairs. You know how these kinds of things go. Project after project.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Man I envy you. With two places (provided they are somewhat close to each other) you can actually escape the mess of remodeling one by going to the other.

Keep the pics coming, can't wait to see how it turns out!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Texas, I have to admit it's pretty great being able to hide out here at my home base and get things done when I can at the other place. Biggest problem is moving stuff/working with contractors out there (the attitude is a lot slower since it's basically in the country). It's also a bit annoying that I can't just hang out and relax there right now, it's always hectic or smells like paint. I have been at this project from basement beginning to now for over a year.

I'll be there I think tomorrow so I'll hope to load some more then! I tried to take delivery of my island today but the thing is just too big and the guy couldn't get it off the truck, gonna try again soon. Can't wait to show you all what I have for that, it's about 800lbs ;)

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

800 lbs?!?! That's heavy!! Can't wait to see it!

If its not too personal to ask...do you have kids living at home?

I've got 4 kids, ranging 1-6 and don't have a second retreat. The mess is driving me insane!!

Any tips, aside from having that wonderful retreat?

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Texas, ha ha ha... kids. No, I don't have any. I'm a bit young and honestly my girlfriend and I want any (a little know thing on this forum I'm a guy). We both work a bit too much for that life and we like to have our private time. Some of my brothers and sisters have them though. I do love having them around for occasional weekends though, the kids have an absolute blast in the yard.

I've tried to child-proof this place a bit, but it's a struggle sometimes. Fortunately we have a large yard and a big deck that the children love to play on more than being inside.

My main plan is keep the kids happy, give them lots of fun activities to do on the land and the lake. I recently bought a giant parachute for them, and we have thought about a lake trampoline. My family has a pact to have the basement as an adult area since there is an easy access beer fridge, a bunch of table games, and a sauna.

Can't wait to show everyone what is going to happen in the next two weeks!

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Don't worry, I could immediately tell you were a guy, how many women get excited about a kegerator? :)

That's awesome that you try to make the space warm and inviting for your nieces and nephews, wish you could talk to my brother and explain the concept.

His idea is "come and visit me at my bacheloresque pad and hang out!!". He doesn't seem to grasp how difficult it can be to take multiple young children to a zone that isn't childproofed and has no fun activities for kids.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, looking forward to your updates.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Texas... I would love you to point him to this thread soon! I know how hard it can be to want to have children in this place you've designed for yourself. Having my family come around is always great, and I know in the future they will be able to spend a lot more time appreciatively. If I'm not going to have any kids, my family might as well love the place as much as me.

You'd be surprised how many women want a kegerator in their kitchen. When my home was hosted on a tour I can tell you it was about 80% women saying "how awesome would that be, it would be a nice relaxing thing to have" etc etc. Surprisingly way more than the husbands.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Lol- I can't help but think that the wives internal dialogue was saying "now he won't have to go away for guys night out" and the guys saying "shoot, now I don't have an excuse!!"

Forgive me if I seem jaded, it is probably from dealing with too many people my age (late 20s- early 30s) who seem to still want to hold on to that "college kid" mentality.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I am still reading!

I am fascinated by how you notched the long boards for your box beams instead of piecing in each one. I suck at measuring so would likely have screwed that up, but it is way more efficient.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

I'm just picking up on this thread. Where have I been?!? I saw your last kitchen & thought it was very nice. Obviously you'll be doing another great one! Things are moving along fast! Love your beams & the lights! Oh those lights! I can't wait to see them up. Keep the pictures coming!

By the way, you sound like a great uncle! Lucky nieces & nephews!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got my island counter delivered today. Has been a massive struggle to finally get this thing moved. But here is this beauty, currently it's upside down so there are a bit more markings.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Ive been wondering what it was. That is gorgeous!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

I've spent many a happy hour on the John Boos website, lucky!!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hopefully it will hold up, it's a 3 inch thick block. I was told I need to install those counter overhang brackets though.

Thanks for the compliments! Can't wait for the rest of my counters to show up.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

That is one beautiful block of wood. Can't wait to see it installed.

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

The Boos Beauty gets delivered! Sa-weet!!!

Love those pendants--they are amazing and I especially like the fact that you are going to do a "triumvirate" design. I am doing the same over my table in the kitchen nook and we just figured out the spacing (for the electrician) but haven't figured out the hanging lengths.

Where's the cabinet pics?....you tease! We have pics the unistalled pics but not the installed.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Gorgeous BB! John Bos, eh? Another site I have yet to visit and probably shouldn't....

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha, greenhaven: some of their stuff isn't that bad actually, initially I looked at getting their mixed maple 1.25 inch top I think. For that size it was $795. But I really wanted hard rock maple and it went up in price quite quickly.

Got some pics of my finished ceiling, all the cabs are sitting on the ground, a lot of work to go still. Been a tad lazy the last 2 weeks. Sorry!

• aries61
    9 years ago

jgopp: Love your coffered ceiling. Curious, how tall is your ceiling and how wide and tall are the beams? Thanks. Thinking about doing them myself in my family room.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Beautiful job! My neck hurts just thinking about painting all that. Did you spray it?

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aries: The bigger parts are 8inch, and the smaller intersecting are 6.5 inch. Thanks for the compliment :) Ceiling is 10 feet.

greenhaven: I actually painted everything before I put it up in the ceiling. If you saw it in person you'd see there is still a good amount of work to go. Lots of caulking and finishing touches. Also still gotta paint the ceiling the final color.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Visually, very satisfying. I like your lights too!

• Lauraeds
    9 years ago

Oh, love those pendants. Those have been my dream pendants - with the wire netting over them - as I've been planning my kitchen, but ends up they aren't going to work. Can't wait to see them vicariously through you!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just hope I didn't get them too big! The big one is 18 inches, hopefully it doesn't look comically large, or I'll be selling it off and ordering smaller ones.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got the sub-z ready for this week when the cabinets are going in. My old hot point fridge will be moving out to the garage.

Don't mind the paint colors in the back, I nixed both of them, they are awful in person.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picked out my stone today!

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got a couple update photos today for you guys. Things are kinda starting to come together. The plywood backer behind the range is just temporary. I haven't gotten the wood for above the lower cabinets there either yet. Going to be something interesting soon ;)

Sub-Z still not locked in place yet. A bit of cabinets to be installed yet. Still got a ways to go...

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Love your floors! The cabinet colour is fantastic, as are the panels below the sink :)

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Feisty: Thanks! Can't wait to rip up the rest of the covering and show the whole floor into the living room. Best part is they are already antiqued so no worries about damage.

I'm glad you like the cabs. I originally wanted shutter cabs below the sink, but I think the lattice look works just as well.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Lattice worked out great.

I know what you mean...I can't wait until my new/refinished wood floors get *naked*. Meanwhile I've been walking on Ramboard for a long time ;)

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

It already looks so amazing. Love that stone and the cabinet color. I cankt believe how much you have done...wow.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

It's looking so great. Your floors are beautiful. Is that reclaimed wood? The lattice is perfect, especially with that large gorgeous sink!

What is your stone? I love the colors in it. Is that dripping part of the stone or did someone do that intentionally to it? It's very interesting. I can't wait to see all of this come together.

This post was edited by bicyclegirl on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 8:44

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bicyclegirl: It's hand scraped hickory. I have the same stuff at home just the smaller plank boarding.

That is soapstone, the reasons for the variation are when I sprayed it with some water to see how it would look when it was oiled.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Thanks jgopp. I love this wide plank...so much character.

OMG, I am truly a blonde!! It didn't occur to me that you sprayed the slabs! So sad! Well, I'm looking forward to seeing it installed because they're beautiful!

UGH....

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bicyclegirl: Thanks for the compliments! No problem on the stone, not every stone need to be sprayed :)

Hoping 2 weeks the stone will be in... Like I said everything in this area runs a little slower than usual. Also need to borrow a friends truck to move the butcher block. Looking like 6-8 weeks until fully complete.

• catbuilder
    9 years ago

jgopp, if I recall correctly, you're in southeast Michigan? What supplier did you find the soapstone at? I'm trying to match some existing counters, and that looks really close.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

catbuilder: I got that stone sourced at the only place in the area that had soapstone. Dwyer marble in Farmington Hills. Unfortunately they told me this was their last slab for a few weeks at least. It's been in massive demand apparently.

• catbuilder
    9 years ago

I got my original slabs at Dwyer. Unfortunately, the fabricators forgot the overhang of the island, which already was reduced to 1/2", so it could be made from one slab. In five years I haven't been able to find another slab that's big enough--they're always a couple inches too short. But I kind of stopped looking, so maybe it's time to start up again.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

catbuilder: good luck, they said 2 slabs coming in in a couple weeks, might wanna stay on top of it.

Things have slowed a little bit, I'm having 2 baths redone at the same time and those have kind of taken a front seat to the kitchen until the countertop is finished.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts