Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taeel

Microwave quandary - where can I fit one?

taeel
12 years ago

We're designing a kitchen that has very limited options in terms of where to install a microwave. I was planning on doing one of the shallow GE micros that can be built in to a 12" upper cabinet, but the reviews are terrible and I don't want to design a kitchen around a machine that won't work.

We have a real range hood so not place over the range, or in any of the lower cabinets, and I'd prefer to have fewer appliances cluttering up the counter.

So right now my options are:

1. build one cabinet with an open shelf and get a shallow small micro that can fit on there - but even this is limited in terms of the different options for microwaves .

2. Build out one section of the cabinet to be deeper than 12" so we can fit a different micro

3. Get an over-the-range micro, most of which are 12" deep, and never use the venting.

Any ideas, advice? Or recommendations for a machine you have and love? Thanks!

Comments (9)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

You can put a shelf for a micro and it does not need to be so shallow. We got one that makes the micro float by itself, but I have seen upper cabs made for a micro where the bottom of the cab is a shelf that is deeper than the cab. I know Ikea makes one like that if you need a visual.

Our micro on the shelf was installed 13" off the counter because that height worked for all of us. I like that it is not too high, yet you can use the counter below it still. It also is too tall for any young visiting guests. Our boys were 8 & 9.5 at the time of installation and they could just reach the top buttons.
    The real benefit to a shelf type location is you can use any micro in that spot if the one you have conks out.

Here is a link that might be useful: our shelf

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Microwave drawer?

• colorfast
    12 years ago

We had your dilemma.

Consider that you do not have to have counters above or below your microwave. Have one bank of cabinets that go floor to ceiling. This bank of cabinets should be the depth you need for your microwave. Have drawers from the floor up to just below your microwave. I would put the oven itself at or slightly above counter height. (For me, an OTR is too high.)

You can either surround your microwave with a trim kit, or have an open shelf for it. Either method, the area housing your microwave needs to allow enough room around and behind it for air flow. There are specs in your microwave manual or your trim kit instructions.

Cabinet details: If you include some deeper drawers, you can put the containers you might actually use in the microwave. Above the microwave, you can have a cabinet. This could be a regular cabinet or one with tray dividers.

Be sure to have at least a small counter nearby as a "landing space" to set hot dishes coming out of your microwave.

• carybk
    12 years ago

We did your option 2, right next to our fridge which is also deeper-- a deep shelf with some ventilation at the back. We have a countertop microwave on the shelf so it's less expensive to replace if it breaks. The shelves above the microwave are useful for storage because they are so deep (I am 5' 7" and need a stepladder to reach them). The counter under the microwave is a good landing pad. It's worked well for us.

About your option 3-- I would miss my venting so much if I didn't have it.

• abfabamy
    12 years ago

I am someone who doesn't like to look at my small appliances when not in use. We just installed Kraftmaid cupboards and I was looking for the same thing you are. I wanted to use a microwave of my choosing but not spend and arm and a leg buying it.

We had our upper cabinet and appliance garage on the end run made deeper (18") to accomodate the microwave on the bottom shelf of the upper cab and other appliances in the appliance garage sitting on the counter. It cost about $150 to do both, but so worth it! As an added bonus, the 18" deep shelves above the micro is so great for storing things like cookie sheets and the like.

The only thing that might bother some is that our doors don't retract so they remain open when the micro is in use. It doesn't bother us because we found they were not in the way for the short amount of time we are using the micro.

And, we bought the Panasonic Inverter microwave, fits beautifully in there and is a great unit.

Just another option/opinion!

• alexisls
    12 years ago

I did Option 2 (though I need to buy a white microwave to replace this one) -- it's a deeper shelf that sits on the bottom of the cabinet and is surrounded by trim:

From 2012-01-21

• marcy96
    12 years ago

We put ours on a shelf in an upper cabinet next to the fridge.

{{!gwi}}

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

Two additional options
    1. You can recess the microwave on a regular shelf.
    2. Use the sharp over the COUNTER (not over the range) micro. It is larger and more powerful than the GE and seems to have pretty good reviews. Only 24 inches wide compared to the over the RANGE micros. BTW in my basement kitchenette I have a 30" OTR micro mounted over the counter (no range) and it is very useful for venting our electric grill, coffeemaker, and rice cooker since it is attached to ductwork to the outside. Of course that means we lose the cabinet space above it.

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeAppliances/MicrowaveOvens/R1210.aspx

abfabamy. love your cabinets and setup!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharp Over the Counter microwave

• amykath
    12 years ago

I put mine in my pantry. It worked out great. I had a tiny kitchen and not a big pantry.