Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Background for DAT #15 Hollywood Regency.

palimpsest
12 years ago

The latest Design Around this will run for two weeks.

The purpose of this thread is to present the challenge, give background on the Hollywood Regency style, and to link participants to the "About the Design Around This" page.

DO NOT POST YOUR DESIGNS IN THIS THREAD. A THREAD WILL BE STARTED IN A WEEK"S TIME FOR POSTING THE DESIGNS.

Anyone who wants to participate will have at least a week to come up with their design.

You can do a Finish Board to present your design.

You can post a series of pictures to present your design:

However, if you are posting a series of inspiration pictures, the inspiration should be clear enough and close enough to your design to communicate your designs to other people.

(Since the threads get large, I would prefer Not to see lots of photos of flowers, staging, and non-fixture/finishes inspirations--this is probably snarky but a placemat doesn't really go that far in my book in promoting a concrete design and it takes up bandwidth.)

HOLLYWOOD REGENCY:

There is a lot of bad and conflicting information about Hollywood Regency, because, similar to other design period-styles it did not get named except in retrospect.

The Hollywood Regency "period" encompasses the period from about 1940-1970, although it has even earlier roots and some designers, such as Carleton Varney never stopped decorating in this style. Current designers or decorators who have revived Hollywood Regency are KELLY WEARSTLER and MILES REDD, in particular and JONATHAN ADLER has basically copied/adapted a lot of Hollywood Regency period accessories and furniture and merchandised it.

HOLLYWOOD REGENCY is a pastiche of almost every classical and neoclassical style with art deco, Asian, and midcentury modern influences. So, you will see the influence of 18th century French, English, and American furniture mixed with the deco and Asian influences of lacquer, and the modern influences of comfortable upholstery and spareness of line. It evolved over the decades into various different expressions, but consistent throughout is the use of luxurious materials, glossy finishes, and opulent details. Since this was the middle of the 20th century, these designers were also not afraid of formica, vinyl, and blatantly fake finishes.

WHAT KIND OF HOUSES LEND THEMSELVES TO HOLLYWOOD REGENCY?

This house is a Prototypical Hollywood Regency House, designed by Los Angeles architect Paul Revere Williams

Another Paul R. Williams House:

Colonial Revival? Deco Moderne? Yes.

Lucille Ball's House, by Paul R Williams

(stars once lived much more modestly, it seems)

Paul R. Williams' own house:

A midcentury rambler (large ranch)

A largish house contemporary to the 2000s

A condo apartment in a highrise:

THE OLD SCHOOL:

William Haines' house for Carole Lombard:

A William Haines room circa 1960:

Dorothy Draper's Greenbriar circa 1940s

A later Draper room:

A Tony Duquette room:

LATER PERIOD:

David Hicks, 1960s

Billy Baldwin, 1970s:

Michael Taylor, late 1970s. This room remained unchanged until a few years ago and was subtly updated:

THE FURNITURE:

Dorothy Draper's "Viennese" chest:

Tommi Parzinger Lamp, and console:

James Mont chest and mirror, Michael Taylor spoonback chair:

The Hollywood Regency -inspired kitchen will really be a new interpretation, because a real kitchen in this period would be a fairly typical period kitchen for the era of the house.

I have some photos of this Real Kitchen, which is probably as close to a Hollywood Regency styled kitchen as one can get, with it's FLOATING ISLAND.

Here is a link that might be useful: ABOUT THE DESIGN AROUND THREADS

Comments (61)

• californiagirl
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is mirrored furniture missing, pal?

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was really surprised at some of the furniture (and combinations of furniture) when I looked at the origins of Hollywood Regency.

William Haines, Tony Duquette, and Michael Taylor used French period chairs mixed with everything, and they all developed their own contemporary pieces. Dorothy Draper mixed a lot of American/English period furniture with deco moderne, and David Hicks mixed English and contemporary/lucite. They all pretty much mixed any period antique with any contemporary piece without any compunctions. They also mixed color in ways we no longer do, so much.

There were a lot of crystal chandeliers and sconces, a lot of statues and porcelain museum mounted as lamps, a lot of white plaster, a lot of mirrors in antiqued (and some veined) finishes. There does not seem to be a lot of actual full mirrored pieces, at least originally. The clipped corner chairs and "bamboo" pieces weren't there, either. I think these trends were added later and were more mainstream.

The Regents also embraced a lot of materials that people have turned away from. Dorothy Draper used football fields of vinyl tile, and I have read things about Haines and Baldwin talking about using vinyl floors, plastic laminate and vinyl upholstery--and they all used a lot of wall-to-wall carpet.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Apparently the room with the large red chinese screen was originally completed between 1960-1964 and was untouched except for some reupholstery and minor tweaks. The picture I posted is recent and it was the first time that the room was ever published by the firm (which still exists).

It holds up pretty well for a 50 year old room, I think.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Palm Beach Regency is more of the same but with Grotto pieces (shell encrusted or shell themed); Plaster pieces (mirror frames, palm tree lamps); and rattan and wicker.

Speaking as one whose work takes her often into old Palm Beach (and those folks don't give a flip about current design trends, so most of their houses haven't been updated since they moved in), I very rarely see any of those items in what's left of real Palm Beach. Perhaps in newer houses in the wannabe north end, but definitely not in Palm Beach Palm Beach. Shells in the grotto in the garden, yes, but not so much in the house.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The houses that I have seen in Palm Beach proper have tended to be furnished very traditionally with the same furniture you would see further north. The only shells would be on the Chippendale:)

The grotto furniture is intended to be outdoor stuff, isn't it cement?

In terms of lighter "beachy" looking furniture, I associate that with winter condos and such. But I mispoke, too, I meant to call it Miami Regency. Or maybe I should call it Ft. Lauderdale Regency. :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

The grotto furniture is intended to be outdoor stuff, isn't it cement?

Most of what I've seen in PB is the real thing, often with a coral rock base. They don't do cement much. I was at a wedding there where the tent company managed to damage one of the coral rock balusters of the railing on the terrace and it was a very expensive mistake, because it took a lot to find someone who could carve an exact duplicate these days.

Thanks for clarifying.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Isn't there a proper name for that ...stone I guess it is in a way...

I looked up how I thought it was spelled and it is spanglish slang for a slovenly dirty girl, so I am way off base.

I've seen the stuff carved into architectural elements but I don't know that I have ever seen a genuine piece of the furniture in person, I think the stuff I saw was concrete on an armature. I can't tell on 1st dibs what is real and what is not either, but most of it seems to be based on Florentine forms, or kinda French looking.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Yes, oolite or oolitic limestone, although around here not many people would know what you meant, while everyone would understand "coral rock".

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Forgot to say I don't like it in furniture--it's darned scratchy and uncomfortable to sit on, and everything snags, but Mizner and his colleagues didn't have practicality as their highest goal. :)

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am a chair junkie so I have some chairs that aren't so comfortable and two that would collapse if a normal sized person sat in them (tiny Aesthetic Movement gilded "bamboo" corner chairs), so I might like one just as a form--or for my masochistic tendencies. At least you can put books on them and such. I am also a lamp junkie and a lamp that you can't plug in or has no shade is not so good.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just bumping for visibility.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

{{gwi:1702452}}

palimpsest mentioned Kelly Wearstler as a designer involved with reviving this style. Above you see an image from the Doheny neighborhood.

Here's her website's "residential" section--I have arranged for you to arrive in the Bel-Aire neighborhood. Click through this, then continue to the other places (listed below the photos).

Don't hold your breath--there is no kitchen here. That's your job.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kelly Wearstler residential designs.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Another name in Pal's revival list is Miles Redd. Although my Google search gagged on his own website, here's a House Beautiful story on his work in a Manhattan apartment. The kitchen in #15 of the slideshow may look very familiar to those who've been looking at the GW Kitchens forum for a while. But I don't think this is quite what Pal had in mind for the Hollywood Regency kitchen DAT. Or is it?

[House Beautiful] "The tiny emerald green kitchen is pretty much dipped in pigment. You went all the way!"

[Redd] "The kitchen existed. It was a good-quality laminate and I thought, Why replace this with a paneled kitchen? I knew it would paint beautifully and that a strong brush of color would make it exciting. I kept thinking: British racing green, the color of a 1962 Jag. But that turned out to be too dark. So we pumped up the color just a scootch and lacquered it to give it life."

Here is a link that might be useful: Slideshow of Miles Redd decor in Manhattan apartment, including green kitchen

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Here's a restored Hollywood Regency kitchen. Kevin Oreck is the architect who redesigned it. The original was 1938 by Paul Williams in Bel-Aire. Clicking on the architect's name brings you to his website where he sez that the new kitchen is a consolidation of "smaller rooms designed for staff." Some of the original rooms before restoration are shown on Oreck's website also. The shot of the original kitchen reminds me of the Kathryn Hepburn kitchen and the Lunt kitchen I've posted previously. Not a glam kitchen; original was designed for real cooking, probably by servants?

Here is a link that might be useful: Restored Hollywood Regency house and kitchen

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think Kelly Wearstler is channeling Tony Duquette in that room. His grew a bit more organically, so hers looks a little "merchandisy" to me --being picky.

The Miles Redd reminds me of Billy Baldwin.

I like the Paul Williams rehab.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

bump

• cawaps
    12 years ago

bump

• kaysd
    12 years ago

Bumping up. I look forward to seeing this one.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Here's another of the designers Pal listed for us

Here is a link that might be useful: Jonathan Adler interior designs website

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Hello, Mom!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Here's the link to the active DAT thread, on the Conversations side of the Forum

Here is a link that might be useful: Design around the Hollywood Regency Style (Conversations side of the forum)

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Dorothy Draper's lobby at Hampshire House:

I keep trying to educate myself by spending time studying this style using leads from Palimpsest's postings. Here's an article on Dorothy Draper in NYMagazine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorothy Draper article

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Anthony Baratta has been mentioned in something I read--a practicing designer who uses Hollywood Regency concepts. Actually found some of his kitchens on his website.

{{gwi:1702455}}

{{gwi:1702456}}

{{gwi:1702457}}

{{gwi:1702459}}

{{gwi:1702460}}

The website is very interesting. Go to Projects and find a number of different Baratta designs using the style. I don't think the modern rooms have the opulence of the traditional and classic ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anthony Baretta--go to the Projects department on website

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Here is a link that might be useful: Ode to Dorothy Draper

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

At least a little bit of kitchen is here, in the "residences" section but I can't get the photo to show up. It's colorful and in the middle of the 52 image set.

There are also products for sale, including chairs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dorothy Draper Company website

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

bump

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

This thread is a terrific source of information on this style (especially for somebody like me, with no experience/grounding in Hollywood Regency.) Thanks to everyone who is doing such a great job of contributing to it...lots to read and enjoy here.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

so, mudhouse, are you concocting a design...If I can, you can...

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Florantha, not so far! I've been trying to restore our pink bathroom floor (wow what a brain cell killer.) I may have to absorb this style through the terrific rooms being presented by others, I'll see.

I've just started really reading and looking. These rich, luxurious, and sometimes opulent materials are like a foreign language to me, but they're very beautiful. I'm so impressed with the striking designs presented so far, and hope others are finding the thread on the Conversations side, (click here.)

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

bump

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

giant floral bump

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

peacock blue striped wallpaper bump

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

bump back to page 1

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

zebra rug

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

This website has some biographical material as well as a vision of old Hollywood. Go to "Interiors" to find things to study :-)

One taste:
    {{gwi:1702463}}

Here is a link that might be useful: William Haines Designs

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Look at (Jonathan Adler Designs a Westchester House( article in House Beautiful which contains a dining room and kitchen for us to examine. 'Cheeky' is the adjective of the day.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Cheeky' Jonathan Adler Westchester House

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Cheeky Chinese Chippendale chairs bump!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Does this kitchen design work? I find a lot of Hollywood Regency elements but the totality doesn't work for me.

from the Traditional Home "Our Most Beautiful Kitchens" slideshow
    {{gwi:1702465}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Traditional Home Most Beautiful Kitchens

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Wow. That is one really bad kitchen.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree Florantha, the combination is bad --it even makes the okay elements that make it up look bad imo.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

I got a solicitation in mail for a subscription to Traditional Home, so I thought I'd look at the website. Generally the mag interests me. But that kitchen! I kept looking and asked myself, "What's wrong with me?" But all I could come up with is, "Nuthin' wrong with me, there's somethun' wrong with this kitchen!" I don't understand why it rated a place in the beautiful kitchen queue.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Another William Haines article, with three room illustrations. Wadaya think about this color combination? And dig that marquetry floor!

{{gwi:1702467}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Architectural Digest article on Wm. Haines

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Now that would be quite a kitchen. Hmmmm.

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I love those colors in the William Haines photo above. Drats, just about the time I'm starting to get a fuzzy feel for some of these famous designers, this thread will wind down. I guess that means I'll have to keep working on it, regardless.

I'm a little encouraged that even I can see the orange-oval-island Traditional Home kitchen above doesn't work well. Does make you wonder how it made the cut.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

I don't know whether this is an official Hollywood Regency company or not, but here is a recent kitchen I found while clicking around following Haines links. Design Babylon is Brett Valenstein of Los Angeles.

{{gwi:1702471}}

The slideshow shows strong HR symptoms. Try testing yourself as you watch it...what are the core HR elements you can recognize?

Here is a link that might be useful: Design Babylon / Brett Valenstein portfolio

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Use of strong color in major components (in some rooms), mirrored table, animal print rug...

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

--Is there such a thing as "controlled eclecticism"? if so, it's there

--dramatic lighting

--a sense of playfulness, yet elegance presides

--Mideast and Far East allusions

--actual Regency items or allusions

--And what is the term for those bendy lattice grids that I find in Hollywood Regency on chair backs, drapes, floors, ceiling trim, &c?

• cawaps
    12 years ago

Florantha, I think the word you're looking for is "fretwork."

I had list similar to yours. I think there is definitely some whimsy in Hollywood Regency, especially in its later incarnations. I think there was a desire to evoke the luxury of exotic locations. It comes through in the chinoiserie, but also I also saw a lot of palm motifs (which I guess could just be Southern California, but has an exotic feel), and I found a banana motif chandy. Then there's the animal prints and animal images. A bit whimsical but also exotic and luxurious.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Monochromatic or two-color schemes.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Elaborate woodwork somewhere in the room features or in the cabinetry.

Real wood somewhere in palette.

Downright artificiality somewhere in the mix.
    ___

Fretwork, eh? Okay. Is there such a term as "fretwork patterned linoleum" or "fretwork patterned fabric"? or is it just called "fretwork linoleum" or "fretwork fabric" which are oxymorons?

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals