Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drop in sink to undermount sink

Posted by littlelizzy123 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 23:33

Hello!
My husband and I are going to be gutting our 1970s split level soon, and the only thing worth keeping in the entire thing is the sink. It is a beautiful, big, deep, 2-well, drop in, composite sink (I think). It's black in color with a matte finish, and looks a bit like some sort of countertop material. It's pretty much the only non- original thing in the house. I'd really like to keep it, but I HATE the fact that it is set a centimeter or so away from the backsplash and all sorts of nasties get stuck behind there. I love the look of an under mount sink, and we are getting new countertops anyway. We are thinking soapstone, quartz, caesarstone, concrete, etc. Really, any countertop is better than the flowered, sunshine yellow travesty we have now. I guess I'm asking since we are getting a brand new countertop anyway, could our countertop guy just install the sink as an under mount? I wanted to ask you guys first before they laughed at me...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drop in sink to undermount sink

Update: This is a Blanco Silgranite II sink. Some sort of granite mixy thing.
I would probably change the faucet, as I really don't like the way it is offset. If you don't watch what you're doing, you can have the faucet turned to far to the right and water goes down the side of the counter. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanco Silgranite Diamond Sink in Anthracite

o

littlelizzy 123:

Undermounting that sink shouldn't be any problem. Use a Hercules Universal Sink Harness.

o

Thanks so much! I'll look into it!

o

depending on the material you'll have an issue with how large the cutout would be. Even in quartz the front and rear rails will be quite thin. There are a few ways to deal with this, the best one being a "bump-out" at the sink location that makes the countertop about 3" deeper. Good choice if you have the room.

Otherwise a good fabricator could give you a couple of options.

One other consideration: drop in sinks usually have a larger radius at the corner between the vertical wall of the sink and the top flange. Not an issue if you want to expose the flange (which makes the cutout even bigger) but can be an issue of a bacteria trap if you are going with a slight overhang. from the pic yours looks like a fairly sharp radius.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here