Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdionnemoore_gw

Pics of hickory stained or painted

sdionnemoore
16 years ago

I know it's not a popular wood right now, but if anyone has used hickory in either a stained or painted kitchen, could you please post pics as well as details of the colors of stain/paint?

Comments (6)

• oruboris
    16 years ago

It isn't popular because only white is popular.

But hickory is MAGNIFICENT for cabs. It is very, very hard and durable. The grain is open, so it takes stain roughly as oak does, but the varaiation between light and dark tones in every board is much more extreme.

If you don't care for the variation, staining it dark will even this out.

My current kitchen is hickory with a bordeaux stain. A lot of people have mistaken it for cherry, though the darker 'character' type graining makes it a dead give away if you really know your wood.

I'm using it in the 'cooking' zone of the new house, with very light stain, and a quarter sawn oak in the 'cleaning' zone for a more mission look. At least, that's the plan-- haven't worked out all the details yet.

• athomewith3
    16 years ago

We have hickory in a spice finish. As oruboris stated, it isn't a popular wood but boy is it TOUGH!!! With 3 kids and the family gathering home for the past 4 years it has held up beautifully.

{{!gwi}}

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oruboris--can you post some pictures? That's the stain I'm considering for hickory. I'm also planning on alternating with some painted off-white cabs, but I'm worried that the dark stain is too red, so I'm considering a browner stain.

sthomewith3--Beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing that with me. I'm definitely going with hickory for its hardness, plus I like the grain showing a little. I had cherry in my last kitchen and while I loved it, I'd like something harder this time.

annz--lovely and huge. I love those little cubies at the tops, and where did you find your hickory door?

• lulundave
    16 years ago

I WISH WISH WISH I had gone with my first choice of Hickory. The 2 kitchen reno companies I dealt with talked me out of it. I did go with Birch cabinets that I am totally unhappy with. They are thin. I worry about them holding up for the duration of our time in the home.
    The price difference to get hickory was only $1000.00 more. If I could do it over - I'd have paid it.

Both kitchen companies stated that Hickory was "dated" and that we would quickly tire of the look.

By the look of both of your kitchens...I could never tire of that. And they absolutely DO NOT look dated. Thanks for sharing and I hope you choose hickory!

• annzgw
    16 years ago

Sorry I'm late responding. You're the first to notice the door looks similar to the cabs but it's not hickory...... it's white pine. It's very close in color but IRL it has a tad more orange to it.

Good luck on your project!