Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
laminate countertop that looks like soapstone or slate?

Posted by marja (marjadebrouwer@ciaccess.com) on
Mon, Feb 1, 10 at 23:23

I love the look of soapstone, unfortunately however, I'm not able to afford the price. Does anyone have suggestions for a laminate that resembles soapstone (or slate, which I also love)? I recall seeing a post here several weeks ago (by orchidluvr?), what a gorgeous kitchen! I can't seem to find that thread again. Any suggestions? Pictures?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: laminate countertop that looks like soapstone or slate?

Wilsonart Soapstone, Wilsonart Oiled Soapstone, and Formica Basalt Slate come to mind. They have decent search engines on their websites, take a look :)

o

I just did Formica Basalt Slate in my laundry room and I love it! It really looks nice. I had them do it 3cm like someone on here recommended (can't remember who it was) and though it is not much of a difference I really do think it makes it look better. I can take a pic tomorrow if you would like to see how it looks.
L

o

Imcal - that would be great! Was it a big deal to get it done 3cm? (Obviously, I'm really new to this!) How it you do the edges?

o

Imcal - sorry, that should read "how DID you do the edges?"

o

Here's Basalt Slate formica with regular edges.
Photobucket

o

I believe you can get pretty creative with edges
on wilsonart, formica and most of the new products out
there. It is not like our grandma's laminate with the
metal edges. : )

Here are some great pictures you may have already seen
these. I know you are looking for a soapstone, slate kind
of look but you also mentioned edges.
~boxerpups

Formica

Here is a link that might be useful: Laminate on Garden Web

o

dian - your kitchen is sooo....pretty. What paint colour are your cabinets? Also, I really like the light above your island - can I ask where you purchased it?

o
laminate countertop that looks like soapstone or slate?

Marja... No, it wasn't a big deal to do the thinner tops. My guy said it was no problem at all, but now that I see Dian's counters, I think I obsessed about the 3cm more than I should have. Hers look great, and her kitchen is beautiful!

I'm having trouble posting the pics... I'll keep trying!

o
pics of basalt slate

Here are some pics of the Basalt Slate:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I really like the way that looks, Imcal - I esp. like how it picks up the colour in your floor.

Dian, when you say regular edge, do you mean squared off? So there is a seam? Or is it rounded over (hard to tell in the picture). BTW, your kitchen is beautiful, very classy looking.

o

I have the basalt with a D edge - rounded on top and bottom so the laminate wraps around, no seam except on ends and diagonal corner. Since we did our own installtion, I had DH and BIL use black marker on the edges of the diagonal before installation to reduce seam.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg021251421917.html

o

Boxerpups, did you happen to know what Formica pattern is in the kitchen picture? It's the second one down. Or if you can tell me where you saw it, I can go find it. Thanks...
Cj

o

Marja, yes, the edges are just squared off. A flat piece on the surface, a "ribbon" of formica on the vertical side--separately glued to the base.
After a lot of cleaning, I notice a light line at the corners. Occasionally I run a Sharpie marker across the edge to make it blend.

The light fixture is an older one from Lowe's, maybe 10 years old. The cabinets are Charlottesville from Home Depot, very reasonable.

Glad you like it, it works for me and didn't cost a gazillion dollars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here