Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting into cabinet for rangetop after it has been installed?

Posted by amandasplit (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 23:22

Hey GWers, Just curious, did any of your GCs cut into your cabs after they were installed? Our Thermador rangetop is going to require a lot of cutting (even into the sides/frames) and I'm wondering how he can do that with the cab looking quite attached to the wall and the ones next to it. Do I need to worry?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting into cabinet for rangetop after it has been installed

Only if he doesn't know what he's doing. With the proper tools and technique, the cutting isn't the problem. Cutting into the cabinet would mean structural elements will be cut out, like stretchers (spanners) and possibly the cabinet sides. If structural parts are removed, new members should be added to maintain structural soundness and to properly support the range top.

Did you recently change the range top? The cabinets should have been built to fit it without cutting.

o

Nope we ordered the cabinet that's deemed a "range top" cabinet but they leave it full height so you can cut it depending on how deep the appliance is.

I'm mainly just wondering why he installed it before cutting into it.

o

You generally always install the cabinets with the false panels before cutting the false panels. That goes for a range top, farm sink, or oven cabinet. With the right tools, like a Fein, it's totally not a big deal at all. You can't cut and shim something to fit just the cabinet. How that cabinet fits in the whole run affects the adjustments.

o

Ooh, that's good to hear, Green. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here