Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateshome_gw

Beadboard backsplash

kateshome
10 years ago

We are thinking of doing a beadboard backsplash and am wondering if anyone has used bead board as their backsplash. If so, what are your thoughts - happy with your choice, anything to keep in mind, etc.? Thanks!

Comments (21)

• sheloveslayouts
    10 years ago

Great question. I'll be following.

• ruralredhead
    10 years ago

I'm curious too. My concern is that it would get dirty and be hard to clean.

• romy718
    10 years ago

This post (about another topic) has this picture & info about a beadboard backsplash on Feb 6 at 13:13. She also gives some details about the installation a couple of posts down. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reference to Beadboard Backsplash

• Linda
    10 years ago

I don't have personal experience, but I think it would be OK with a good paint. I know they also make ceramic beadboard, and it has been discussed on GW in a couple previous posts.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0809075221167.html

• eam44
    10 years ago

Well, two things to consider - indeed the grooves will fill with atomized gunk, as well as splatters and presumably you would paint the beadboard, so you'll be cleaning painted wood, and scrubbing it occasionally, and eventually touching up the paint. Do you really want to do that? Also, wood is inflammable. You can't use it near a gas range.

There are ceramic tiles made to look like beadboard. The image below is of a tile measuring 8" x 20" manufactured by Ceramica Colli that sells for $4.55/sf at the link below. You'll still have to clean the grooves, but it will be so much easier to do, you'll never wear it out and you'll never have to touch it up - it also wont burn, so, bonus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceramica Colli

• sheloveslayouts
    10 years ago

aha! The flammable part didn't occur to me. Ceramic beadboard? clever!

• deedles
    10 years ago

I currently have a beadboard backsplash and I didn't do what is shown in the pic above which is have a horizontal board at the counter and start the beadboard above it. If I was to have beadboard again, it would look just like the picture. Gunk and crumbs get in the grooves back by the counter/backsplash junction... otherwise, like it very much and it's a great look.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

We will have a shiplap backsplash, but are also doing a short splash of the counter material to avoid the crumb problem. Stainless steel sheet behind the stove. Good luck!

• jackfre
    10 years ago

I used beadboard in a bathroom years ago. I used a PVC product that looked really good, took paint very well and cleaned up well. I cannot recall the manuf. Behind the stove...no, but otherwise I think it would do well.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

I have solid wood beadboard backsplash and I love it. I painted it with a very good quality oil base enamel from Porter Paint. Have it behind my stove too. Cleans very easily and the only splatters/stains are around the sink area. I think it looks fabulous.

HTH, Rosie

• rosiew
    10 years ago

I have solid wood beadboard backsplash and I love it. I painted it with a very good quality oil base enamel from Porter Paint. Have it behind my stove too. Cleans very easily and the only splatters/stains are around the sink area. I think it looks fabulous.

HTH, Rosie

• tmy_jax
    10 years ago

Interesting thread. Thanks to all those who have chimed in!

I really like the tile that EAM44 posted, and the link legallin added in was helpful to quickly see more without doing a search.

Thanks to deedles for pointing out the detail of the starting board in the pic romy posted.

Lots of good info packed into a short thread.

Thanx all!

• dawn_t
    10 years ago

I'm in the process of adding a beadboard backsplash, but it's not finished (like the rest of this poor kitchen). I do have horizontal trim boards that will go on after.

A good quality, glossy paint will help make clean ups easier.

Not a great one, but this is the only pic I have:

• User
    10 years ago

I have a solid wood, tongue in groove beadboard backsplash that has been in for almost 5 years. I like the look and like being able to easily hang pictures on the wood but a few things to keep in mind are how to handle the areas near the sink and behind the stove. I have soapstone behind the sink and the slightly higher back guard on the range to prevent any issues in those two areas.
    Because my backsplash is solid wood I have had issues with movement in the wood during the winter which has led to a good bit of recaulking and painting, I actually just redid ever seam last week. Using a high quality plywood veneer beadboard would prevent these issues.
    I do not have a problem with gunk build up, I used a semi gloss paint which is very easy to wipe down. And, because I have a flat trim piece where the backsplash meets the counter, I do not have the grooves right at counter level to deal with keeping clean or caulking.

{{!gwi}}

• kateshome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all who have replied. Great information and much to consider. I think I am still leaning towards beadboard with the horizontal trim board at the base. Will look at a good wood veneer. Love the idea of ceramic tile beadboard but it won't work for us as I want the beadboard to go around a corner and into the back hall. That would be way too much ceramic tile with many horizontal seams. Love all the pics that were sent along, so many nice looking kitchens!

• nhbaskets
    10 years ago

I have solid cherry beadboard to the left and right of my cooktop. The bottom sits on the 4" granite backsplash and the top is finish with shaker pegs. The sides are finished off with brackets. Love them and wish I could again incorporate into our new kitchen we're currently designing.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

I made a solid surface beadboard backsplash for my Aunt's kitchen that matches her countertops. She loves it.

No cleanup problems, no paint, no grout.

• dawn_t
    10 years ago

athomeinva & nhbaskets...

I love your kitchens - they are both unique & beautiful!!!

• sheloveslayouts
    10 years ago

Nhbaskets: are there more pics of this kitchen online somewhere? The pegs are so clever and I love the look of your kitchen.

• nhbaskets
    10 years ago

Thanks benjesbride. I do love our kitchen and will be sorry to leave it this spring when we move. I've posted a link to my photobucket account below. Checkout out the 'Berry Kitchen Remodel' album as well as the root album.

Here is a link that might be useful: nhbaskets Photobucket albums

• woody316
    9 years ago

If youâÂÂre working in a bathroom, make sure the beadboard wainscoting is taller than the vanity. Setting up boards to plan the layout is a great way to avoid mistakes, and this is a critical step to achieve aesthetic corners.