Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

(Mostly) Finished Kitchen Pics

beaglesdoitbetter1
12 years ago

I REALLY wanted to wait until I was moved in and had furniture and had my dishes in the cabinets to post the "big reveal," but I cannot wait. I just can't. I love my kitchen too much (at least from the pics I got today- I haven't actually seen it in person yet since the paper was taken off!) :)

So, anyway, here is the Finished Kitchen Part I with Part II pending in a few months if you aren't all sick of my kitchen already :) Part II will also feature interior shots of the drawers, as there's fun stuff inside all of them and I don't have pictures of that yet :)

So, without further ado...

Don't mind the odd silver thing on the drainboard- that's just the plug to the sink, it won't live there forever.

And, just for fun since so many people in the kitchen forum helped me to design these cabinets, this is the finished gathering/keeping room area off the kitchen. Note- the really ugly cabinet knobs are not staying. I wanted white marble and these were the only ones I found but they are not attractive:

Details:

Cabinets: Dutch Wood Kitchens

Granite/marble: Statuario marble for the perimeter cabinets and marble sink. Fabricated by IMG Marble and Granite. Blue bahia for the island, fabricated by Sinai/Big Brothers Marble and Granite who did a perfect seam

Island sink Concrete, fabricated by Paco Originals

Knobs/pulls Custom-made glass, created by Designer Glass Mosaics to match the granite.

Appliances Miele 42" cooktop, some kind of Jenn-Air oven, Sharp microwave drawer, integrated Bosch refrigerator (behind the mirror), integrated Fisher & Pickel dishdrawers (one next to each sink); integrated Bosch dishwasher

Pantry door Custom design, Sans Soucie Art Glass

Mural Stone impressions (custom design, they sent us the graphics and we created it ourselves

Chandeliers James R. Moder Crystal

Faucets & potfiller Whitehaus.

I think that's all- let me know if I forgot anything :)

Anyway, a BIG thank you to everyone on GW who gave encouragement, advice, and information about things that I never even knew existed etc. etc.

Comments (129)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I think it is wonderful! I was worried it would be over the top with bright blue, but I think you used a very restrained amount/shade after all. I love the island top and am glad it is the dive of the room ;) I was worried if there were more blue, the counter would not be as noticeable.
    It is a good thing you don't cook for real because those chandies would need a lot of cleaning. They are amazing and would look wonderful anywhere you put them.
    Is the blue on the hood much darker than the blue that is with yellow in the other room? I am really digging the deeper color.

• dee850
    12 years ago

What a fantastic job! Others have said it all already, so I'll just add it's been a real pleasure to "listen in" on this process going from planning to reality.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dianalo the blue is quite a bit darker in the kitchen. It's almost a navy, whereas the other is more a sky blue. Also, the one in the kitchen is painted so more even coverage while the one in the other rooms (great room, dining room) is stained.

The blue in the kitchen is the same as the blue used to paint the sunroom and the same as on the bookcases in the gathering room (the one w/ the marble fireplace)

• marcy96
    12 years ago

Just gorgeous!!! I can't stop looking at the photos! Congratulations!

• lynn
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous kitchen! Love the pantry door! May I ask where you found the door?

Thanks!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Congratulations Beagles!

I agree real life is even prettier than your plans! It goes without saying the blue granite is spectacular. My other love is the mirrored fridge and freezer. I remember that post, and all the practical people trying to dissuade you. It is so lovely.

Wishing you many lovely meals and memories in your new kitchen.

PS I had a petite chandelier in my old kitchen. Cleaning was not much more than any other chand.

• natebear zone 10B
    12 years ago

My reaction to your kitchen? I shouted expletives in my head. LOL Great job!

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

Congratulations! Your kitchen and house is incredible! Hope you get to enjoy it soon!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lnia the pantry door was ordered online from Sans Soucie. They are wonderful. You can custom-design the door to your own style. They shipped it quickly and were very helpful and nice to talk to on the phone. Here's a picture of the design I did from their website since it's hard to make out the details of the door because of the reflection:

Thanks mtnrdredux. The mirrored doors are one of the things I love best too :) And good to hear that your chandie wasn't a major cleaning challenge!

NATEBEAR, I hope they were good expletives, LOL

and thanks michoumonster.

• natebear zone 10B
    12 years ago

LOL Yes, I meant that as a compliment.

• oceangirl67
    12 years ago

What style is this? I think we have found the new OTK.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

OOO..congratulations! This is coming together to be an amazing kitchen. That first picture is just...wow. The big picture is incredible - and so are the fine details and little special features. Wow.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oceangirl67 I would call it French manor style. I'm not sure if that's a 100 percent accurate description, but that was my inspiration in my head that I was working towards...

Got a few more pics- inside of the cabinets this time. Although these will be more fun in a few months when there is actually stuff in all the inserts :)

Fridge/freezer drawers on end of island:

Little utensil drawer above fridge/freezer drawers. Dutchwood raised by whole island by a few inches to accommodate so I could have my ice cream scoop and silverware above my ice-cream freezer :)

Pull-out recycling. There's a foot pedal for this cabinet:

Another little utensil drawer:

Dishdrawer next to island sink:

Dish drawer next to marble sink. Also, paper towel and dish towel niche close up:

Full dishwasher next to marble sink:

Bread drawer and pantry storage boxes. These lift out so you can take the stored food/items with you:

Pull-out next to cooktop:

Bottom drawer below cooktop to file pans:

Top drawer below cooktop for pots:

Cookie sheet drawer:

In drawer-knife block. Below it is my utensil tray w/ routed-out spaces for utensils like can opener, grater, spatula, etc. Everything in it's place :) It fits OXO utensils so they should also be able to be replaced in the same size should one ever become lost or broken:

Pull-out trash w/ cutting board above it. The trash can has a foot pedal. It is also possible to open the cabinet door on the side of the island to access trash so that it can be accessed from both front and side. The same is true for the recycling can:

Bosch fridge/freezer:

Filing drawer for Pyrex:

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Gosh Beagles,

This is truly a magical place.
    I feel as though your kitchen is Garden Web's kitchen.
    Watching this journey unfold into the most maginificent space.
    The ideas, the drawings, the visuals, the granite search,
    the thoughts you had, the colors... but especially your
    love for blue and of course beagles. You stuck to what
    you love and it has turned out like your plans!

Congratulations and thank you for letting us peek into
    Part 1.
    Looking forward to Part 2.
    ~boxer

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

Well I must confess that I am not much of a "blue" gal, but that granite is spectacular!! Seriously!

The glass cabinets on the one wall... are they clear glass, or dark? They don't look clear. Maybe you've answered this, I didn't read the whole thread.

You have thought of everything regarding your storage needs. I am impressed with the job Dutch Wood did... fantastic!

• carp123
    12 years ago

WOW! I could dive into that granite countertop!! so stunning! i love your photoshop mock up!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I just realized I typo-ed the word "dive" when I meant to refer to your counter as a "diva". I think that really is the powerhouse star of the kitchen ;)
    I am really digging the navy blue. As a non-blue person, I realize I have seen a few dark blues lately that have caught my eye. It is a color I wear but have not used in our house.
    I wonder if it is becoming more popular or just on my radar lately. I have always gravitated to deeper colors for clothes and have been trying to shake it up a little and use richer colors for the house (which I have always done in lighter, mellow colors).
    I love your utensil drawer with cutouts. I think that is a great way to keep it organized and easy to use. Accessing the garbage and recycling from 2 sides is also a great idea!

• michelle16
    12 years ago

Beagles- It looks beautiful, can't believe you dreamed this all up yourself.I am anxiously awaiting my visit to Jason, just trying to figure out my countertop dilemma's.I didn't realize Bosh makes the built in frig/freezer.How was their price compared to subzero and the rest? happy with it so far?

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks boxerpups. I'm honored to have my kitchen referred to as Garden Web's kitchen :) I got so much help and reassurance here every step of the process!

mercymygft, the china cabinets have clear glass but the backs of them are painted blue. It makes them look dark, but we did put LED lights in those cabinets so once the dishes are in and the lights turned on, it should look very different.

dianalo I've seen a lot of blues lately too, it seems to be a big color right now (which I'm not happy about, I don't want my blue to become "so 2012," LOL!) You know I love all blues so I think you should definitely incorporate a deep blue in your house!

michelle16, bosch doesn't make the single door built in anymore, though they do still have a french door model. We got an absolute steal on this fridge since it was a discontinued floor model. I think we paid less than $4000 if I remember correctly! We don't have it plugged in yet so I don't know how it works, but I'm very happy with how it looks.

• bostonpam
    12 years ago

I'm in love with your counters - absolutely beautiful! Your whole kitchen is stunning (in fact your whole house). I love the blue and the chandeliers just bring everything over the top. Enjoy!

• mbw1
    12 years ago

Stunning and gorgeous! Congrats!

• taggie
    12 years ago

Oh how did I miss this?! Especially as I've been waiting for it for months now -- man, I'm never going away on a business trip again!

This just totally takes my breath away. Wow, where do I start? That granite! That mural! That range hood! Those chandeliers (i want to touch them and not let go)! The corbels, the glass (wow), the appliques, the drawer details, the feet (cool!) ... oh who am I kidding, I love every single thing about it. You must be over the moon thrilled.

And is that a TV in the corner over the door? How clever!!

Okay, now where is the rest of your home, especially the gorgeous yellow stained bookcases that first showed me the possibilities of yellow stain and which were my inspiration for my cabs. Of all your gorgeous finishings I think I love those the most (okay, maybe after the fireplace and chandeliers and granite and ...). So where are they? We want to see!

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

I somehow missed this too. It's just stunning! That stone is incredible and the chandys give it just the right amount of bling. Well done beagles!!

• hlove
    12 years ago

Wow. I remember some of your posts about the different counter materials, etc. It is amazing how well everything fits with everything else. You had a true vision and it really turned out beautifully. Congratulations and enjoy!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

taggie I just looked at your kitchen and it is gorgeous! I am so glad you started on the path to yellow stain!!!

We aren't moved into the house yet so I haven't posted "finished" pictures of anything really because we don't have any stuff in anything. I'm going to be putting dishes in the china cabinet this weekend, but we're not going to be officially moving in probably until some time in April because I'm spending the winter in Florida. Even when we move in, we probably won't have a fully furnished house for forever because I take FOREVER to find furniture and want primarily antiques or custom stuff, so it's going to be a long process, LOL

Anyway, long story short- here's a picture of the bookshelf but it is still not finished b/c there's no books!

• kaysd
    12 years ago

Wow, that island is amazing. I love all the blue touches, especially the range hood. I really like the filing drawers for pans and pyrex.

• prill
    12 years ago

Can you tell me what color your range hood is? Prill

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

prill it is a custom-color. We had it color matched to a tiny piece of blue bahia granite we had. I will see if i can find the formula for the paint, but I don't know if I have it any more.

• prill
    12 years ago

Thanks Beagles - no problem if you can't. Hope the walk through went well today.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

OK, this is ridiculous: even the label on the inside of your dishwasher matches?! How did you _do_ that?

Beagles - I know it's all been said above, but I just have to throw myself superfluously on the (beagle-)pile: it's beautiful. It's more beautiful than the renderings, even. The blue is not overpowering (as several of us feared). It is wonderful.

Honestly, someone as obsessed with detail and beauty as you, must have a hand at learning to cook. You would love it. You have the perfect milieu for it of course. And it would feed so many desires to see things link up and fit in. I say, make it be your designing-desert present to yourself. You've fashioned the most gorgeous kitchen west of Marie Antoinette's, now outfit it with food to match.

How did the dog washing station come out?

• sweetandrew
    12 years ago

I LOVE it!!!!!! Absolutely perfect in every way!!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL aliris19 I never even noticed the dishwasher label but you are right, it does match! How cool. I am going to pretend I planned that.

I have tried to cook before and it didn't go well. I get really bored and I just wander away and leave the oven on or the pan on and burn things. It's just not in me I am afraid. My mom was a wonderful cook too, I guess I did not get that gene.

The dog washing station came out awesome. I'm going to a post a separate thread w/ pictures of the whole house but here's a few:

• aliris19
    12 years ago

OK, now that is so totally cool -- walk out and up steps into the geriatric-tub model for dogs. Did you design that or is it commercial -- it looks like the people version I've seen fashioned from plastic.

Beagles, I bet you've got a second career right there in that nook. I bet there are more of you out there needing/wanting that space for their pets.

Hmmmm about the cooking thing. You have such deep, concentrated interest in the details of what you choose to do, I'm still thinking you should start again with a boiled egg just for the completeness of it all. It's just aesthetically, um, incomplete to see you design such a beautiful paean to cooking and then just drop it at the last second. I want to see you come to triumph *in* the thing which you've designed so exquisitely ... course that's just me reflecting my own compulsion for completion, I know.

Still ... that was then. When this is all over and no one's looking -- give it a whirl? Please? Either that or hang out a shingle as a pet-lover's designer!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

aliris19 it is a professional stainless steel tub from pro groom without the legs and with a custom color on the front. Then, I had them build it into the wall, but a layer of something (mud and waterproof drywall?) behind it and tile with the dog pictures. Dutch Wood did the steps of course, and the built- in space for the dog crates. The dog chandelier I commissioned from an artist on etsy. I even found beagle knobs and dog hooks for the room. That room was so fun to do! I would love to become a pet designer but not sure how to go about getting that started :)

Ok. The cooking thing. Here's what I will do. I love crepes and there's only one crepe place where we live and it is open odd hours. So, I bought a crepe maker and when I move into the house, I will prepare crepes in the kitchen. Doesn't that seem a fitting thing to prepare? And not too many ingredients so I hope I won't mess it up! (How's that, does that work)?

• aliris19
    12 years ago

perfect. Yup, it works! Then challenge yourself to the next thing, say, omelettes - sort of the same but different. You can skip the boiled-egg stage! ;)

Well done.

Pet designer ... no idea how that's done but I think you've got some good inspiration pics for your clients to get started!

BTW, I think crepes is as challenging to make as anything. Which is to say not so much, yet tricky ... if you can do that (and absolutely you can) surely you can do anything! Kinda sorta...

• AnnaA
    12 years ago

This is One Amazing Kitchen!

But most fun is reading how you - and everyone else who post their finished pictures - just exudes such pride and joy over their finished creations...brings out that kid in all of us.

Once again, I learn something too, whether it is practical questions to ask or material to use. Your finished project inspires me to go with a vision - whatever it is.

AND - it looks like a very practical kitchen ready for an army of cooks to make sweet memories!

Thanks for sharing.

• kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

My 8 year old daughter was peeping over my shoulder and saw your kitchen. She said "oh! I should put on my pretty dresses and twirl in that kitchen!" I agree, it is very very lovely, and if you don't cook much, then you still have the option to twirl!

The mineral that colors the Bahia blue granite is sodalite, and sodalite blue has always been my favorite color. So I was pleased to see that sodalite blue is one of the chosen Pantone colors this year! Hopefully that means seeing more of it around!

• Susied3
    12 years ago

Beagles, your kitchen is just stunning, I took a look at your blog and the entire house is just breathtaking! It looks to have such a unique floorplan! Do you have the floorplan pictured anywhere? I would love to see it!

And, on another note, call me "out of it" but I am in love with your closet, and I have tried for the life of me to figure out what the tower of lazy suzans will used for and I just can't hold back any longer! What are they going to house??? Handbags?

And, one more question, if you don't mind, where did you get your bread drawer inserts, and do you know the dimensions of the drawer?

Thanks so much, and CONGRATULATIONS!!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL kiki_thinking I think I can get the twirling down and wil have a lot more fun doing that in my kitchen. I was practically twirling around the whole house when I was there the other day for the first time since everything was uncovered!

susied3 here is an early version of the floor plan. This does not have the upstairs laundry room, the master laundry closet, or the dog room on it. the kitchen/gathering room and master bath area are also different as well, but this gives a basic idea of where all the rooms go:

The one lazy susan in my closet will hold shoes, and the other purses.

And the bread inserts were made by Dutch Wood (the little boxes on the side of the bread drawer lift out) and the drawer is 36 x 25.

Hope that helps :)

• finestra
    11 years ago

Wow Beagles! I think I missed this! Stunning. That blue bahia is to die for! I love everything in your kitchen. You have so many interesting elements and it came together so nicely! Hope you are enjoying it.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

So, beagles: how did the crepes come out? Have you put your mind yet to gourmet cookery? Omelette? (which to me is about as good as life gets anyway, with the added advantage of using up leftovers).

I came here thinking I honestly had missed your reveal. Imagine my surprise to encounter a whole exchange here about your house. I still love the shade of blue; it's very elegant. Almost PA dutch-shade, but a little duskier.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

A great kitchen, one I am happy to see again and again, noticing new details. What is the backsplash, please? I'm sorry if you've answered this already!

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

I could look at this kitchen every day! The details are amazing and make the functionality look so perfect. Has there been more pics of the house?? Would love them Beagles-- me and MY Beagle named Lucky would love them :)

• dietitian
    9 years ago

@beaglesdoitbetter LOVE your kitchen. question- dutchwood told me they don't have full overlay, but your kitchen seems to be full overlay- is it? Also, I LOVE your garbage (lol that sounds funny)- can you please elaborate on how it is executed?

One more thing- how are the file drawers working for pyrex organization? I was wondering how to store my pyrexes (pyrexi?). Currently they are stacked and I hate that.

And one more thing- can I see inside your pantry? Did dutchwood do the pantry too?

• beaglesdoitbetter
    9 years ago

Dietitian, I am pretty sure the cabinets are fully overlay. To be honest, I'm not 100 percent sure exactly what that means. I think it means no facing around the cabinets, which I have (and I'm sure Dutchwood does that)

The file drawers work very well for the Pyrex. I keep all my Pyrex there except bowls. (I have a separate drawer for deep bowls that also has a CD rack in it to keep the lids separate. This drawer under the glass cabinets- I'm in our FL house now not PA so I can't take a picture).

I'm not sure what to say about the garbage- here is a picture of it open if that helps.

Dutch wood did every cabinet in my house (including pantry and closets). It is a pain to post pictures here- you can check out my blog to see pictures - http://stonepondhouse.blogspot.com/2011/09/pantry.html

• bisondaktelcom
    9 years ago

May I ask if those are custom cabinets? Do you know color of paint used? They are beautiful!

• kalapointer
    9 years ago

Dietitian - thank you for bringing this tread back, I never get tired of looking at this kitchen.
    Beagles - your kitchen is one of my all time favorites. It is so pretty. BTW, I bet your were very happy that a Beagle won the Westminster this year. Wasn't she cute!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bisondaktelcom. They are custom cabinets made by Dutch Wood Cabinets in Myerstown. They are a color match to Benjamin Moore Glacier White.

kalapointer, Miss P. was so cute! The year I brought my beagles home was the same year Uno won Westminster, which was the first time since like 1908 that a beagle won. I had the show on TV and my dog Bailey was watching Uno transfixed. I guess Miss P. is a relative of Uno too.

• dana mccarthy
    4 years ago

love this kitchen so much!