Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OTR Microwave - to vent or not to vent

Posted by BlackChamois (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 23:11

I'll be installing an OTR micro in my new, almost finished kitchen.

My previous OTR micro was vented through the cabinet above, through the attic and outside.

I had planned on doing the same this go-round, but I have such a tiny kitchen and the extra cabinet space would come in handy.

The micro that I have purchased has a ductless option (using a recirculating filter).

I am wondering if I should go that route and forego having a hole cut into the cabinet for the venting.

I don't/won't do a lot of high-heat cooking on my range - stir fry, burgers, nothing really greasy, etc. So would the recirculating filter option work okay?

Thank you for the advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OTR Microwave - to vent or not to vent

Recirculating hoods are practically worthless. If you already have duct work in place then you should definitely vent outside.

o

You will find little support here on GW for an OTR microwave at all, and even less support for a microwave-based vent, either to the outside or recirculating.

That being said, we had an OTR microwave before the reno, and I have a new OTR microwave after our reno. I was very happy and remain very happy with this.

My old micro had a recirculating vent, and the new one vents to the outside. I have not noticed any difference between the two. I'm happy with both.

That being said, the space "lost" above the microwave was minimal with both set-ups. All we have is the wire and plug above the microwave. Whatever ductwork is there is not taking up any cabinet space.

Good luck with your decision.

o

I would vent it in case you ever decide to convert to a hood.

BTW I too put in a vented OTR microwave

o

Oliver - Yes, I know that OTR micro's are not a GW favorite, but it really was the best option for my situation. I'll be gaining storage elsewhere, so you're probably right that the loss here would be minimal.

Zeitgast - I don't think that "I" will be putting in a hood anytime soon :) but great point!

Thank you all for the feedback!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here